Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2002 Nighthawk Black w/ Saddle MDX w/ Touring package from Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, TX. While I love the vehicle and got my desired pricing, my purchasing experience was absolutely horrible (the worst I've ever had). Here are the highlights (lowlights?) of my experience with Vandergriff:

* I had a very good salesman (Patrick Bradley). Be sure to look him up if you go to Vandergriff.

* Patrick showed me a "just off the truck" Black 'n' Tan MDX w/ Touring package, still "shrink wrapped" and unprepped and undriven.

* Patrick introduced me to his Sales Manager named Max. Max was the most arrogant, unpleasant, and anti-customer-centric car salesman I've ever worked with at any dealership. I don't mean it as a personal attack or slander, he just did a horrible job of making me feel like a valued customer.

* Once we finally agreed on my price and options, my Black MDX was mysteriously "sold" out from under me 45 minutes earlier.

* Max requested a $100 deposit to show I'm serious so they could ship in another Black'n'Tan MDX from somewhere else, and then later raised it to $495 when he found out I had been shopping at Goodson Acura (Irving), justifying this with a quote of "I don't think you are a serious buyer"!

* I called Patrick and told him his Sales Manager was an arse, I would NOT pay $495, I'll go to another dealer that understands something about customer service, and the deal was off.

* An hour later that shrink-wrapped Black'n'Tan MDX on their lot became mysteriously "unsold" and was available to me if I still wanted it. Nice.

* They made me wait in the lobby over 4 hours to complete the paperwork and obtain financing. Ridiculous.

* Cake-topper: On my quoted price of $36995 at 4.74% at 60 months they quoted me a $705/mo payment and wanted me to sign off on it. Already suspicious, I decided to verify the numbers on Edmund's Auto Calculator on the Internet, and what did I find...a $693/mo payment! They tried to squeeze another $600 into the purchase price by playing payment games, pushing the sale price back to $37,600!! Snakes!! I pointed this out to them and they quietly "corrected" the mistake without apology or comment.

* Max then told me he felt offended that I was acting so suspicious of charges and that I was making this a bad sales experience for myself. Nice.

In the end, I did get the MDX I wanted with the options I wanted at the price I wanted (which is most important), but the sales experience was anything but pleasant. My salesman and their Finance Manager both knew it as the night went on, and they were apologetic.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. I would instead go to another Acura dealership that would actually treat me like a valued customer that they WANT to sell cars to. I wouldn't recommend Vandergriff to potential Acura buyers after this experience. If you are feeling adventurous you CAN get a good price there, but be prepared for some unpleasant sales tactics and poor customer treatment.

By the way, the Goodson salesman never called me back, and when I called Goodson to see if they would beat the Vandergriff price, their Sales Manager (Alan) said "No, I can't match that." So, that pretty much makes a lie out of Goodson's TV and radio ads that say "Nobody, I mean nobody will beat a Goodson deal." Well, Vandergriff did (although I certainly paid for it in time and energy).

Marty

·
Registered
30 Posts
:confused: First, I want to congratulate you on the purchase of your new MDX. I am sorry you didn't have the enjoyable experience you should have had when making this purchase. Perhaps you should have looked at the dealer ratings before you began the process. I would have enjoyed taking care of you in a professional manner. Although I didn't have the opportunity to assist you, I do know that Goodson Acura was willing to match the price you had at Vandergriff. All that was asked for was a copy of Vandergriff's offer. For whatever reason, this wasn't available. We will match or beat any legitimate price from any dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely agree, I wish I had checked dealer ratings. I didn't even know about this site until Saturday, 8/3, and then the site went down on Sunday 8/4. I tried all last week to get on to this acuramdx.org site, but it was down for most of the week. Every time I brought up the page I kept getting "You are forbidden to access this page" error from sometime around Sunday afternoon (8/4) until Thursday (8/8). (Did anybody else have this problem???) Of course, then the site finally came up a day after I bought my MDX from Vandergriff, at which time I promptly found out that they are rated the worst in Texas. Figures, just my luck.

I honestly would have preferred to buy from Goodson, especially since I stopped there first and Brian (salesman) was very nice. It would have saved me alot of time and trouble, and Goodson seems to have received some good ratings from other Acura owners.

However, when I spoke with Alan, I asked him if he could match the Vandergriff price. He said "No, I can't do that." Then he said "If you bring me a signed price quote from them, I'll match it." I replied "Hah, they aren't about to give me a printed price quote to take to another dealership. Would you give me a price quote to take to them?" to which Alan quickly replied "No", thus proving my point.

I have yet to find any dealers that will readily print out a price quote for a customer so they can shop it around at competing dealerships. Does Goodson do this? If so, why did Alan tell me no?

Marty

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Will Acura Dealers Ever Learn ???

Acura Dealer "World" PLEASE wakeup:

** The MDX supply/demand equation has changed somewhat.

** This is the END of the model year.

Sounds like Goodson passed up a deal with $2,900 profit because they wanted to push for the full $3,500 profit that they felt they were ENTITLED TO!! My comments to acura_ed and Goodson:

(1) Your dealership is silly ... "We sell only at MSRP UNLESS some other dealer is willing to sell to you for less. If you CAN PROVE IT, then we will work with you. If you can't prove it, TFB".

(2) Your dealership is VERY silly ... If you had the YEAR OLD MDX and you blew the chance to sell it for $600 under MSRP and only make $2,900 then I think you guys need a frontal lobotomy.

Geeez :28:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've bought my MDX with Touring package from acura_ed two days ago. Ed is a very friendly and nice person, and as I told him the other day, I'm glad to have a business with him. What a pleasant experience.

In fact, prior to my purchase, I read almost every post within this website (www.acuramdx.org) and gained so much knowledge about X. That's the reason why I felt obligated to give some feedback to this forum, and definitely don't mind sharing information. If you live in DFW area, you can try to contact Ed (aka acura_ed) and ask around $800 off from MSRP like mine. I believe he is willing to sell you one....;-) At the same time, you can split that $100 referral fee he offered to me too.

Basically, my experience with Goodson has been very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good experience at Mac Churchhill in FW

I bought my 'X at Mac Churchhill in Fort Worth. I worked with Jack Pace and it was a very pleasant experience.

Wade

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live in Phoenix and obtained my MDX from Vandergriff via Internet sales a few months back. I had no problems and the sale was handled very smoothly. I dealt directly with the "Internet Manager" who I understand has now moved to finance. I went with an out-of-state dealer because I was searching for the last of the Granite Greens (after they were discontinued) and I finally located one.

I guess I got lucky...but overall, I had a pretty good experience (especially given that it had to be shipped out here).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts