Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually mount snows on a second set of wheels to simplify season changeovers. Someone has suggested to me that instead of buying new 19" winter tires on a second set of new 19 inch wheels, I go to a 17 inch wheel with a 17 inch tire but with a profile to create the same overall tire diameter. Creates no speedometer problems and saves $$ on the cost of tires and wheels. Questions: Would this void any of the standard MDX warranty? Would this create handling problems? Would I get better or worse tire mileage wear with the non-spec tires? This is on a 2014 MDX Tech AWD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 19" rims as my standard rim and just went to the standard 18" size for winter tires. I see some people went with 17" (usually first gen MDX rims), which should be fine if matched with the right tires. With 17s, you could do 245/65R17. That's about 0.24% difference in circumference. If you want narrower, you can do 235/70R17. That would only be just about 1% difference. General rule is to stay under 3% difference for circumference. Narrower tires may affect handling but some people prefer them for winter driving.

With 17" rims, check for break clearance; some rim designs may get in the way depending on offset.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Just make sure you can clear your brakes so check offset of whatever you go to.

Realistically though, our brakes are TIIIINNYYY so probably not even an issue lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts