Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good auto repair shops that specialize in Acuras in the San Mateo Bay Area? I usually don't care for the BS and overpricing of services from Acura dealers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Marfong!

Just be careful who you choose, and keep meticulous documentation. I have seen some threads (don't know if you have) about warranty denials as it relates to service from other places. I have absolutely no experience with this.....just made me think when I saw it here!

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MARFONG said:
Are there any good auto repair shops that specialize in Acuras in the San Mateo Bay Area? I usually don't care for the BS and overpricing of services from Acura dealers.
There is an excellent Honda/Acura center in the South Bay called Japanese Beetle.
I remember an excellent one in Redwood City if it's still around. Sorry, can't recall the name. Go visit any and see how they treat youand that they understand how to service MDX, (rear diff. fluid is different, do they know that?). And as suggested, keep full service records, and make sure everything is done that's in the owner's manual for your mileage. Independents try to sell 'package deals' too, so be careful.
Use them for maintenance only. For warranty work, unless it's an emergency, take it only to an authorized dealer. Independents are not likely to have loaner car, but will arrange a rental. If they do warranty work, you will have the hassle of submitting receipts including your rental. Whereas a dealer will have all the pertinent warranty information in their database. But given all that, there is nothing wrong with having routine maintenance done at a reputable independent. Get referrals and make sure they know your model! We are lucky, as there are some excellent independents on the Peninsula. If you get Consumer's Checkbook they rate them from time to time. Sometimes, they are no cheaper than a dealer though. I would make convenience my priority. It's your money things should be done at your convenience. Good luck and let us know when you find some real gems. I don't see why we can't recommend independents on here as well as dealers.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just came back from an oil change - 8:30 appt and left the dealer at 10:00 (1 1/2 hours for oil change with appt??). This just about clinches it that I will be getting routine service from another place. I can't imagine that a third party oil change (and other routine service) would have any effect on the warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts