Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the brilliant error of locking myself out of my '03 MDX Touring on Saturday night... one of the preventative measures I've come up with to help prevent this problem is to have a non-chipped key made up and stashed in my wallet (so that I can get in the vehicle) and a chipped key stored out of sight inside the vehicle. Has anybody else done this? If so, does this work well or am I just crazy?

Also, if anybody has recommendations for a solid locksmith in the Raleigh/Cary, NC area that would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done exactly what you are thinking and, it works well. I bought a blank and had the dealer cut the key. I couldn't easily find a locksmith who could get the right blank and cut it. I didn't have time to make a further search worthwhile. I think it cost about $20 but, it was years ago.

·
Registered
82 Posts
(Disclaimer - never used them, but have heard good things)

I would try Key Harbor in Crabtree. They advertise that they do chipped keys easily, so should be able to get non-chipped blanks, too.

PS- I used to do this, too. Saved me a couple of times when I was younger.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go to the dealer and have them make a door only key.

My dealer gave it to me, while I was there for service. Normally cost like 9 bucks I think. It is not a copy, it is cut from the vehicle master file.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts