Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a MDX 2004. When in D5 at highway, pressing gas pedal I can hear a humming noise. Not presssing the noise will go away. If I use D4 instead, there is no such noise. I do not know a lot about car mechanic. Will constantly driving in D4 hurt or damage my vehicle? Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
While you can drive in D4 at the expense of economy, the noise that you are hearing is most likely a catalytic converter heat shield that has come loose. Mine is making the noise at light to moderate loads in the 1500-2000 rpm range in D5. I can occasionally hear it while driving in the neighborhood with the windows down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '03 MDX and noticed a similar scenario the other day while interstate driving (I have not driven on the interstate in several months and this was the first time I have noticed this). It is definitely related to driving in D5 vs D4 as I almost always use D4 for in town driving and have never noticed any noise.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The most common "D5 noise" is the infamous torque converter whine. It's more of a whine / tone than a hum, though. The good news is that it doesn't seem to indicate that anything is going to break... it's just a bit annoying, though it's normally low enough to be inaudible if you have the radio on.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My son's 03 MDX had a D5 whine at about 50-60 mph when purchased in 2010 w/ 82K miles. It still whines the same in 2018 at 230K miles.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.