Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have noise almost identical to this one I just found

It appears when I run the car and disappears in about 30 seconds, difficult to diagnose.

What it can be and how to diagnose it?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Does the noise change as you rev the engine? Does it change if you turn on/off the A/C or turn the wheel? When was the last time the serpentine belt was changed with a kit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the noise changes with any action with A/C or wheel or engine except it is on or off.
I will try to verify it today.

I don't know when the belt was replaced.

By the way it is MDX 2007 with 170K miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked - ran the car, the noise appeared after 10 sec and disappeared after been lasted for 10-15 sec.
A/C was not turned on. The steering wheel did not move.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't recognize the sound.

Does the noise change when the front tires are off of the ground, and the steering wheel is turned (during the 30 seconds in question)?

When did you buy the car? How many miles, when you bought it?
Have you had the timing belt replaced, since its 105,000 mile recommendation?
Maybe, like mine, the TB was done earlier at 80,000 miles. That would mean that you're closer to the 2nd TB job than you think.

I heard that at 105,000 miles 3 internal TB components need replaced and at 200,000 miles 5 internal parts are replaced, because they are worn and get noisy.
I also heard that a couple of mechanics had noise (that hadn't been there before), after they did the 105k TB and they had to redo the job, to install the extra 2 parts.

Externally, at 105k, just the serpentine belt and at 200k both the serpentine belt and its tensioner get replaced.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is the fluid level in the power steering reservoir? I'm guessing the noise is coming from the pump itself. Also, look to see if the power steering pump is leaking like it is with the one in the video.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have same noise on 2007 MDX. I replaced power steering pump last night but did not fix it. It seems to make noise any time I am at higher rpms. Any ideas?

My next guess to try might be replacing the belt tensioner pulley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts