Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have 02 MDX with 14000km and I was thinking of switching to Synthetic at the next change. But when I called my dealer yesterday to get some pricing on it the Service Consultant told me that Acura does not recommend using Synthetic Oil till 24000km.

Now my understading is that synthetic oil gives better protection and reduces wear in the engine. Have you guys got this response ever or this is something my dealer's service guys invented something on their own?

Also if I want to do the oil change do I need to have a Torque Wrench or the normal wrench is fine too. Any comments about the engine flush in MDX. I have heard good and bad things about that.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mdx_kid said:
Hi Guys

I have 02 MDX with 14000km and I was thinking of switching to Synthetic at the next change. But when I called my dealer yesterday to get some pricing on it the Service Consultant told me that Acura does not recommend using Synthetic Oil till 24000km.

Now my understading is that synthetic oil gives better protection and reduces wear in the engine. Have you guys got this response ever or this is something my dealer's service guys invented something on their own?

Also if I want to do the oil change do I need to have a Torque Wrench or the normal wrench is fine too. Any comments about the engine flush in MDX. I have heard good and bad things about that.
Porsches, Bimmers, Corvettes, and other performance machines come filled with Mobil 1 synthetic. Do you honestly believe they come from the factory with 24000Km already on the engines?
I did mine at 4200 miles. My oil level never drops on the dipstick, and the engine revs more freely as time passes. I now have 8500 miles.
The most important thing is to leave the break-in oil in the engine for at least 3750 miles (5000km). Have yet to read anything from Acura on this 'recommendation'.
I would stay away from engine flushes. At the best, they will ONLY cost more money.
Use a torque wrench if you need to, and have little experience with oil changes. It just takes enough torque to tighten up against the washer. Too much could strip threads. Always use a new washer.
The biggest advantage of synthetic is under extreme conditions, especially very high or very low temperatures.
Edmonton, Alberta? I would use it. I use it now in a temperate climate, but that's a personal choice.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Really COLD weather

Mobil 1 is great for all extremes. That said, to really understand the difference you have to have let your car sit outside for 8+ hours when the actual temp is -35F and the wind is blowing 35+ mph. With Mobil 1 you'll spin right up and start, with any thing else you'll barely turn over and starting is a 50/50 deal.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I used Mobil 1 on my 01 X after 5000 miles, and I traded in with 22k with no problems.

My 03 X will also get Mobil 1 after 5k!:1:

·
Registered
700 Posts
RTM

In the 03 manual, it clearly states synthetic is just fine. No mileage restriction of any kind.

Synthetic is great for extremes. Living in the southeast, our summers are brutal. And I will tow my boat with the AC on so it's pure syn for me. My vette uses syn and I get great mileage, and burns no oil. The motor is as tight as it was day one.

If the price of syn is a concern for you, keep an eye out and you will find it on sale. Wally World recently had Penzoil pure syn on sale 3.34 per bottle, then the mfg offered a $1 rebate per quart - NO LIMIT on quarts purchased. That makes pure syn $2.34 a quart. Needless to say I bought cases of the stuff....

Now, the 03 X manual says 5w20 and the dealer told me to ADHERE to the requirement, and you will find this topic beat to death on this forum, but I have yet to see syn 5w20 anywhere. I will go to 5w30 or 10w30 since my climate is so mild in winter. I've got a ways to go before the first change.

-Greg

·
Registered
340 Posts
5W20

Amsoil has a 5W20 synthetic oil. Somewhat pricey however. I've ordered some for my wife's Accord and my new MDX (whenever I get it!)
I've asked my Honda rep for a recommendation from Honda for when I can switch to synthetic. Havent got an answer yet.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
mdx_kid said:
But when I called my dealer yesterday to get some pricing on it the Service Consultant told me that Acura does not recommend using Synthetic Oil till 24000km.

Hummmm.:confused:

My dealer said they recommmend using synthetic only after 15000 miles.:8:

If I were a synthetic oil type of person I would start to use it after 7500 miles. Leave the special break in stuff in till the first change then go to whatever is your favorite Earl.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Honda Recommeds against 10Wxx oil

When I got my 2002 CR-V I called Honda to inquire about oils other than the recommended 5W20.
They said 5W30 was an acceptable substitute with posible some loss in MPG. They said synthetic was acceptable as long as it was rated for gasoline motor use.
They said not to use any 10Wxx oil.
Seems the Vtec system needs a free flowing fluid even at start up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
14000km = 9k miles.

I would go ahead and change to synthetic- that would be ideal in canada. The break in engine oil, and sealing the engine takes 3-5k miles. This is based on Honda s2000, and Acura Integra/RSX info.

u don't need to do an engine flush with the cleaner. If done wrong, can hurt the engine. and besides, its meant for cars with 75+ miles.

congrats on the new x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5W20 Oil

Guys thanks very much for the information. :eek:

The new 5W20 oil for all Honda engines (for my 2003 accord) is almost double in price compared to 5W30 at all Honda dealerships here. When I asked the parts guys if it was synthetic? The answer was not exactly but semi synthetic. Now I wasn't sure whether he was justifying the cost of selling that at such price ($5.88CDN /liter vs. $6.00CDN /liter for Mobil1 Supersyn) or Honda started putting semi synthetic in Accord (which I HIGHLY doubt).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts