Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 MDX, 190,000 miles. Acura branded battery (less than two years old) died two weeks ago but I was able to jumpstart engine. Following day the battery was dead again but engine would click-click-click. I left on a business trip and the MDX sat for 12 days. I charged the battery to 12.6 volts and now when I attempt to start the engine, all the lights, bells and whistles work normally but the engine still doesn't start. Now there's no click-click-click AND the key can't be removed from the ignition if the battery is connected (it comes out normally when I disconnect the battery). Also, the gear shift is stuck in park. The shift-lock-release releases the gear shift normally.

I've troubleshot the malfunction based on other mdxers.org threads: All the appropriate fuses are good and the brake lights function normally.

Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
It still sounds like a battery issue. Since you will most likely need a new one anyway, swap it out and see if that remedies the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the battery to O'reilly and their equipment showed that the battery wasn't fully charged. They hooked it up to their charger/checker and it failed almost immediately (one or more cells inoperative). I'll return the battery to Acura on Monday and see about replacement. This will be the MDX's fourth battery in ten years (2007-2012, 2012-2015, 2015-2017). I just disconnected the Bluetooth in the rear console after reading about its electrical-draw issues. Hopefully that will help. For several years I've heard clicking in the center console and thought it was a valve opening and closing allowing air to flow to the rear vents. I'll update this thread after replacing the battery. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Conboss,
No, mine doesn't sound like that. Mine sounds like a smooth plastic-on-plastic sound that lasts two seconds then is quiet for three seconds before it repeats. I'll let you know if disconnecting the Bluetooth module eliminates the noise.
Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I replaced the battery. Bad news. Same problem (No start, no click-click-click, key stuck in ignition). Could I ask a favor of someone with a similar vehicle? With the car off, when you turn the key to position II and provide power to the instruments, what gear shift light is illuminated beneath the Multi-Information Display? Is it P R N D or D3? Mine is D. I'm afraid my MDX thinks it's in drive.

Here's another potential problem: If I shift-lock release the gear shift the car rolls forward no matter which gear the gear shift is moved to (except park).

Thanks for your knowledge and assistance.

Dan

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Can you try starting in neutral?

·
Registered
961 Posts
1. The system must detect that the shift lever is in Park position to enable the shift release. The brake light circuit also has to be working properly.

2. It is normal for the car to roll in any other true position but Park.

3. The shift lever in the console must be synchronized properly with the actuating lever on the transmission. There is an adjustment slot at the cable end in the console. Loosen the nut (#17 below) and make sure that the transmission is in the exact neutral position, then make sure that the console shifter is exactly in its neutral position. Tighten the nut and you should be synchronized.

https://www.acurapartsclub.com/auto...utomatic-engine/chassis-cat/select-lever-scat

·
Registered
268 Posts
Update: I replaced the battery. Bad news. Same problem (No start, no click-click-click, key stuck in ignition). Could I ask a favor of someone with a similar vehicle? With the car off, when you turn the key to position II and provide power to the instruments, what gear shift light is illuminated beneath the Multi-Information Display? Is it P R N D or D3? Mine is D. I'm afraid my MDX thinks it's in drive.

Here's another potential problem: If I shift-lock release the gear shift the car rolls forward no matter which gear the gear shift is moved to (except park).

Thanks for your knowledge and assistance.

Dan
Heres what I thinks going on... when I first put power on, it lights up in P. Normal. If yours is in D, but the shift lever is in P, then perhaps you’ve either busted a TRS switch or your cable has snapped. Also if the shift lock won’t release you can check the brake light system. Any warnings on that on the display?

As for your moving in any gear but park situation? I wouldn’t worry about that just yet. Get it running, then see if it drives. I think right now it’s just spinning the torque converter in any drive gears, because there’s no resistance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've discovered the problem. It's the wiring going into the connector plug for the Transmission Range Switch (TRS). Multiple wires are broken; possibly chewed by a squirrel. Thanks everyone for your help. Now to replace the wire harness. Ugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 MDX, 190,000 miles. Acura branded battery (less than two years old) died two weeks ago but I was able to jumpstart engine. Following day the battery was dead again but engine would click-click-click. I left on a business trip and the MDX sat for 12 days. I charged the battery to 12.6 volts and now when I attempt to start the engine, all the lights, bells and whistles work normally but the engine still doesn't start. Now there's no click-click-click AND the key can't be removed from the ignition if the battery is connected (it comes out normally when I disconnect the battery). Also, the gear shift is stuck in park. The shift-lock-release releases the gear shift normally.

I've troubleshot the malfunction based on other mdxers.org threads: All the appropriate fuses are good and the brake lights function normally.

Anyone had this problem?

I have a 2007 Acura MDX that has 166,500 miles. I’m experiencing the same problems. I would drive it everyday but if it sat more than a day the battery would die. I replaced the battery several times. I disconnected my Bluetooth and I replaced the alternator. Today when I was out driving it stopped in middle of the street with no warning. I’m starting to think that it’s an electrical issue. I have taken it to the dealers but they keep telling me nothing is wrong with the vehicle. I’m at a loss just don’t want to get a new car yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Closing this thread. Thanks everyone for the help. To summarize: A squirrel chewed through 5 out of 9 wires going to the connector on the transmission range switch (TRS). The MDX thought it was in Drive even though the gear shift was in Park. The safety feature that prohibits the car from starting while in gear (R, D, D3) was energized. I soldered the wires back together and it is running well now. It was a steep learning curve trying to solder in the tight confines of the wheel well. This was only my second time soldering so the repair isn't pretty but I think it will hold up for a while.

Below is a link to a TRS thread that helped me figure out my problem. Photos are on page 3.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...-transmission-range-switch-safety-switch.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.