Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got it again, from my service advisor at the Acura dealer. I said. Thank you." He said, "No problem." I just spent $800 and he says it was no problem for him to take my money.

Am I the only one who sees this as an uncivilized and dehumanizing response to thank you that has crept it our society?

NO PROBLEM?! No **** it's no problem. If there was any possibility of a problem, I would not have even engaged you in whatever activity caused me to say, "Thank you.", in the first place.

I noticed this in 2005, when a recent Chinese immigrant working at a Chinese buffet, was overly attentive to my needs. He was Johnny-on-the-spot. I said thank you to him many times, always with the no problem response.

I finally asked him if he were trying to convey you're welcome. Yes, he was. He was not taught proper English. I cured him then and there. I thought it might be a language thing, but then I noticed everyone is saying it now.

"You're welcome" substituted with "no problem" is a big problem and nobody gets it. It's part of the dumbing down of us, it's uncivilized, and I for one, cannot stand quietly by and let it continue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you're welcome, no problem no worries....are all perceived as somewhat equivalent these days. Albeit less sincere, it's most likely unintentional and they mean well.
If I were the service clerk, I would see you as the "problem" here. Probably a good thing that I don't work in the service industry

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Millennial speak. I have an intelligent 16 year old son that half the time sounds like Rocky Balboa when he talks.

"I'm not your bro. I'm your dad."

(sigh)

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you're welcome, no problem no worries....are all perceived as somewhat equivalent these days.
Right, and there's the rub, it is a narcissistic response. Not YOU are welcome, but I am not inconvenienced, me, me, me. No problem for me, no worries by me. It's a sad commentary on our society that these three phrases are equivalent.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too funny. Millennial Speak. It never occurred to me. I'm doomed, there is no fighting that age wave. Thank you for the enlightenment. I hereby resign from the vocabulary police.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Why do you need to say "Thank you" anyway since you're the one who is paying for the work done? Shouldn't it be the other way around? He/she would say "Thank you" and you would respond with "You're welcome" or in this case "No problem."

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? I am a polite person and considerate of others. It's the same as thanking the grocery store check-out clerk as I am handed the receipt. I'm the customer, but the person helping me deserves acknowledgement for their time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe everyone should be required to work at Chick-fil-A. After three years of working there while in college, anytime someone says thank you it was ingrained in our son to respond "My pleasure."

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My pleasure. I'm stealing that one. That's the antithesis of no problem. Another good one, is to say, "It's a gift to see you.", as a greeting. Civility is slightly cumbersome and requires effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts