Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DVD drive and the front cigarette lighter socket do not have power. It is my understanding that both run on the same fuse (#9) which I have already checked and even replaced just to be sure but still no power to either of those.

I'm hesitant to say it's a bad drive AND a bad power port. What other commonality is there between those two, other than internal fuse#9, that I could check?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The DVD drive and the front cigarette lighter socket do not have power. It is my understanding that both run on the same fuse (#9) which I have already checked and even replaced just to be sure but still no power to either of those.

I'm hesitant to say it's a bad drive AND a bad power port. What other commonality is there between those two, other than internal fuse#9, that I could check?

Check the fuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm eating crow a bit, and need to know what to do now in light of this new information...

Regarding the cigarette lighter, there was a dime in the bottom. Took the dime out and the port works fine now. Doh!

Regarding the DVD drive, I moved the seat all the way forward, then uncover the back ports, only to find that everything was disconnected. I reconnected everything except one white cable because there was no where compatible to plug it in.

Question 1: Do I need to plug that white cable in somewhere? There was no obvious port for it and it didn't fit right in the much-longer black port that has more pins. The front orange Open button light comes on now. YAY! but still nothing showing on the screen :( What now?

Question 2: Also it had a 2005 Acura MDX nav DVD in the drive. Is that OK on 2009 model?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well, I'm eating crow a bit, and need to know what to do now in light of this new information...

Regarding the cigarette lighter, there was a dime in the bottom. Took the dime out and the port works fine now. Doh!

Regarding the DVD drive, I moved the seat all the way forward, then uncover the back ports, only to find that everything was disconnected. I reconnected everything except one white cable because there was no where compatible to plug it in.

Question 1: Do I need to plug that white cable in somewhere? There was no obvious port for it and it didn't fit right in the much-longer black port that has more pins. The front orange Open button light comes on now. YAY! but still nothing showing on the screen :( What now?

Question 2: Also it had a 2005 Acura MDX nav DVD in the drive. Is that OK on 2009 model?

It looks to me the previous owner was there trying to figure out (like you) why the dvd didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
It looks to me the previous owner was there trying to figure out (like you) why the dvd didn’t work.
Agree. The exposed wiring harnesses ( with black electrical tape around them ) suggest tampering.

That DVD unit looks just like the one in our well-loved 2005 MDX Touring ( now a kid car ), except the wiring is completely covered in ours. FWIW the same port is unoccupied. I don't have a clue what the white connector is for... makes me wonder if an aftermarket device was installed there.

It is a different part number for DVD unit in 2005 vs 2009. I have no idea if they are cross-compatible, but it seems unlikely. 2005 and 2009 MDXs use the "White" Nav DVD, but something may be different about the unit software, and software updates are often required to run the latest map DVD. That's why it's important to match the model year when ordering the Nav DVD update.

Even if the Nav DVD were corrupt, I think you would get some kind of display if the DVD unit were OK. Maybe an error message or something. This could be a real rabbit hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts