Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously brought up the subject of lack of power in D5 at highway speeds. Almost all responses were that of the 5th gear being "tall". Then on a recent long trip (900 miles), the first day I noticed my gas mileage going out the roof (25-26 mpg) over 700 miles including multiple stops for gas and food. During this time the car almost never had to shift down to 4th gear going up hills (even through mountainous terrain of western Virginia and Pennsylvania) and with several rain storms. The car seemed to have great power. (And no, there was not a 30 mph tailwind the whole way).

The next day, my old MDX was back. I was always having to shift down to D4 to maintain speed up hills and my gas mileage was back down to 21.

I thought it may be either a problem with the computer control of the air/fuel mixture or with the VTEC cam however when I called the service department, they once again said unless a "check engine" light was coming on, there was no reason for them to look at it.

I'm getting frustrated, especially since there are no cars at the dealer for me to test drive to see if I notice a difference.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm not in the same timezone as the service manual, so I can't check...

But I know other cars CAN log DTC ("trouble codes") and sill NOT light the 'check engine light'....

Document you findings from the trip: miles travelled, fuel used, mileage, etc. Write it out in a 'complaint' note. Bring the car in, demand that they check it out and dcument the complaint in a service request.

Anybody else know it a DTC can be looged and still not turn on the light?

Ard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts