Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
The issues are clearly explained here:
Polarized vs non-polarized sunglasses...Need some help - Ars Technica OpenForum

Why polarizing sunglasses appear different:
When light reflects off of a partially transparent surface, like water or glass, the reflected rays are polarized in the direction parallel to the surface. The perpendicular polarization is transmitted through the surface. Polarizing sunglasses take advantage of this phenomena by setting the direction of polarization to be vertical. Since most outdoor reflecting surfaces will be horizontal or near-horizontal, that means the reflected light (glare) is blocked.

Why polarizing lenses don't always work with LCD displays
A liquid crystal cell uses polarization to switch on or off. Generally, the cell consists of two perpendicular polarizers separated by a region of liquid crystal. When the liquid crystal is switched "on" it rotates the polarization of light passing through it by 90 degrees. So, the backlight passes through the first polarizer, rotates 90 degrees and then passes through the second, perpendicular polarizer.

As a consequence the light coming out of an LCD display is polarized. If the polarization of the LCD is perpendicular to the polarization of your sunglasses, then you will not be able to read the LCD. Most LCDs these days are getting smarter about this, though. Since polarized sunglasses have vertical polarizations, LCD manufacturers simply orient their output polarizers the same way, and then there is no issue. More realistically, they tend to output at 45 degrees. That way, no matter how the rectangular screen is oriented, some of the light will pass through the sunglasses lens. The contrast will be reduced, but it will probably still be readable.

If that's not the case, the simple solution, as noted above, is for the person wearing the polarized lenses to simply tilt their head to the side. The further you tilt, the more readable the display should become.
As I've previously stated, all of the Honda and Acura navigation screens I've seen output at 45 degrees. My 2013 MDX outputs at 45 degrees. I often wear polarized sunglasses when driving said MDX and I have no problem seeing the navigation screen. It is just a bit dimmer.

So, what supposedly happened with the 2014? Can anyone provide some concrete, specific, and objective data to support their claims that Acura failed to properly engineer the 2014 navigation screen? Anyone? Something more than the first few posts that are simply rants and then George's typical snide and bullying comments?

I'm happy to concede that there is a problem after someone demonstrates that there is actually a problem. But no one has come close to that so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm calling BS. The navigation screen is working as intended. The polarized sunglasses are the problem.

You should do some research before writing such utter nonsense.
What should I research 2014 acura MDX or shades?
I'm not researcher, I'm just another consumer.
I like great products. Great products are often expensive.
I could have bought a decent SUV half the price of MDX.
I could have bought some nice shades for under $50, I bought Ray Ban for $350

Do you think there is a member on this board wearing polorized Lugano Diamonds Sunglasses by Barton Perreira for $30k researching if the new MDX is compatible with his fancy shades? Now that's real BS... The guy wearing $30k shades is being driven in the back of his phantom or mulsane reading crispy WSJ not even knowing of mdxers.org existence. I know who IS on this board besides us consumers, Acura MDX engineers, they listen to us, they read our outstanding feedback, then go back and fix it for us.

Remember iPhone 4 antena problem? Great smartphone, but as soon as you put it in your hand and make a call, the signal bars go down one by one till call drops. Put case on it and magic happens, works as intended! What did Apple do? Gave millions of bumper cases to iPhone 4 owners completely free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm calling BS. The navigation screen is working as intended. The polarized sunglasses are the problem.

You should do some research before writing such utter nonsense.
What part of his quote is utter nonsense?

Your logic suggests the following scenario. MilesMDX driving his new 2014 MDX, then he is hitting a brick wall, although he could have maneuvered around it, then blaming those freaking bricks are the problem. A cop comes to MilesMDX asks him, Mr. Miles have you researched this road before driving into a brick wall? Nonsense may be continued...

What do you think MilesMDX's attorney is going to do?
A) Going full throttle against Acura's navigation system that lead him onto this road.
B) Going after polarized sunglasses manufacturer?
C) Going after bricks manufacturer?
D) Going to drop this case and quit law practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Complain to CPSC about your sunglasses making driving dangerous not NHTSA about your X.
But it's a stupid thing for Acura to do
You really think someone is going to google for that combination of capital letters you typed?
Just wait to hear from MilesMDX he is an expert. :29:

·
Registered
461 Posts
More heat and no light I see!

Fact: Polarized sunglasses and LCDs (and similar displays that incorporate polarization) do not play well together. (Known for a long time.)

Here's from the FAA's booklet, "Sunglasses for Pilots: Beyond the Image":

POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation
environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate antiglare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation.
But keep blaming Acura! (I've got my popcorn out, too.)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts