Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my first post on this website. We have a 2002 Acura MDX with approx. 160,000kms (i think). We just bought it a few weeks ago for $850. Swapped transmission fluid, brakes, engine oil etc. Now the last issue its having is: The gauges don't work, no gas gauge, no rpms, no speedo, no trip computer etc. The lights for it work, just not the gauges themselves. None of the power windows work, the reverse lights do not work and the shifter will not go out of park unless the you use a screw driver to disengage the shift lock. Car drives fine, but it feels like its starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear, but if you push it it will shift up to 3rd or 4th but thats about it. The previous owner had an aftermarket radio installed as well as a compustar alarm/remote starter. Also has hid headlights installed along with led bulbs in all the doors and interior roof lights. Now, I hooked up our obd2 scanner (no engine light since they don't work, only getting a battery light when the key is in the on position, and got 1 code: P1705, something to do with a short in the transmission range switch circuit. So, ordered a new neutral safety switch and installed it with no change. The car is also blowing fuse number 5 in the drivers footwell, which apparently controls the rear wiper and daytime running lights (which dont work either). When the key is turned to the on position before even starting the car, the fuse will blow. Now, my dad is going to drop off the vehicle to our local honda dealer in the morning, but I just wanted to ask on this forum first to see if anyone had any ideas of what it could be. I love working on cars, but hate when it comes down to electrical stuff. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the honda dealer got back to us letting us know that the in dash wiring harness (32150-S3V-A01) needs to be replaced, as the yellow wire going to fuse number 9 has continuity to ground, which should not happen. They want $2000 for the job since the entire dash needs to be removed. Now, we are a bit mechanically inclined but have never opened a dash on an acura before (my father and I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads and the entire exhaust from the cat back on this vehicle in our garage). We know a bit about vehicle maintenance but not much but are willing to give this job a shot, as it could just be one wire shorting somewhere. Now, does anyone have any tips or any other threads where they show how the dash is removed? I've found multiple ones on how to remove the radio but not the whole dash. Thanks

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It sounds kind of draconian to replace the entire wiring harness when the apparent failure is a single line shorted to ground (and that might be in the instrument cluster, as well). Given the amount of investment in the car, and the amount they're going to charge to fix it, I'd think that digging into the wiring would be a worthwhile risk. Basically, you will just need to slap an ohmmeter between that yellow wire and ground, and start unplugging / moving things until the short goes away, then figure out where to go from there. It's really not rocket science - just a matter of finding a pretty obvious short. An ohmmeter will measure the resistance of a circuit (in this case, from the yellow wire to ground) and since that circuit is blowing a 10 amp fuse, you're going to have a resistance of less than 1 ohm. When you get the dash apart, you're going to find that the short is either in the instrument cluster or (my guess) a wire pinched somewhere.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts