Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've searched and searched regarding the no front heat issue and it doesn't seem to be related to the same heater valve issue everyone else has (wish it was that simple). AC/Heat works perfectly fine in the back. Just AC works up front.

I tried loosening and tightening the heater valve screw, not the problem. The screw is nice and tight. I removed the cable and opened the valve manually and tried the heat, nothing. The hose on both sides of the valve get really hot. When I tried to pull on the cable, it didn't move at all. Can the cable be stuck? Even if that was stuck, I opened the valve manually and still didn't have heat. The radiator was replaced before and it looks like they replaced the heater valve too (looks pretty new). Coolant levels are good.

What could be causing no heat if the valve is open, the hose on both sides gets hot?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
On a "normal car", a plugged heater core in the dash could be the culprit. I hedge my bet on it being that knowing how much more complicated an MDX is than a "normal car", but - AFAIK - there really isn't much between the heater valve and the heater core, other than some hose (which is dramatically less likely to get plugged up). I'd think that a plugged heater core is more likely if the radiator was replaced because it was gunked up. Could be they replaced the heater valve hoping it wasn't the core... (which is a LOT harder to change).

You could get lucky and be able to flush the core clean - or not. If not, you can pull the dash apart, or move to a warmer climate (not sure I'd miss my heater all that much here in Arizona!). ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moving is an option but when it's humid out or when the car is comfortable at the ideal temperature, the car becomes freezing! Defrosting while it's raining is an issue also.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
What's this "humid" thing? ;-) We really do live on a different planet here in the arid SW desert!

It does look like it wouldn't be TOO difficult to try to push some water through the heater core, using one of the hoses running to the firewall feed-thru, and pulling off the other hose. If you're lucky, you'd pressurize the hose with a garden hose (or similar), and a big glob of rusty mucus would shoot out, followed by increasingly clear water until the core was clean. If you're unlucky, nothing will happen other than you getting soaked from the backpressure. If you're really, really unlucky, the core will rupture and shoot rust all over the inside of your dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts