Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 without the navigation sysytem. The screen just went dark on me. The radio, temperature display and air work, but, with no display on the screen. The "on" light in the VTVM button comes on when the ignition is first turned on, but, will not light if the button is pushed after the engine starts. Can anyone tell me what fuse may be involved? I thought I would try the simple things first. My local dealer is telling me it could me a $1,500.00 repair. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I was told on this board that the VTM light comes on only if you shift to 1 or 2. In D it will not if you press the button.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
foxcroftjjm said:
I have a 2002 without the navigation sysytem. The screen just went dark on me. The radio, temperature display and air work, but, with no display on the screen. The "on" light in the VTVM button comes on when the ignition is first turned on, but, will not light if the button is pushed after the engine starts. Can anyone tell me what fuse may be involved? I thought I would try the simple things first. My local dealer is telling me it could me a $1,500.00 repair. Any help would be appreciated.
I am sure you already messed with the dimmer switch for the display- in the 'full dim' position the screen is dark.

A service manual would help... schematics, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The panel is lighting again! I removed and tested about seven fuses that may be associated with the problem. Some where along the line, the panel started working again. I don't think it was a fuse since all of them had multiple circuits on each one. I am guessing it was because I removed power form the panels circuit and it may have restored itself some how. There are number of electronic devices that go high and dry until you open the power and restore it. Whatever, it works again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
try the number 11 fuse on the pasenger side
i have a 2001 navi that blacked out too. that fue was the culprit
just give it a check, though our cars are different

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MDXMEN- Sorry I am late with a reply to your question. My son has access to a"help" page where he works. It listed far more circuits than the Owner's Manual. I actually pulled the following fuses based on the information my son provided. In the drivers side fuse panel, Fuses 5 and 8. In the passsenger side fuse panel, 9, 10 and 11.

As I mentioned, I pulled them to test them. This was maybe a happy accident. Each fuse has multiple circuits on them. So, my first step was to try the other things on the fuse to see if there was a total failure of the circuits on the fuse. I didn't find anything that way and began to pull the fuse anyway. I don't know exactly when, but, the screen started working.

I suspect that cutting off the power by pulling the fuses actually restored something in the panel. There are some electronic devices that require the power to be remover to restore themselfs. I don't know for sure, but, it worked and I am a happy man. Good luck! I hope it works for you too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MDXMEN- Sorry I am late with a reply to your question. My son has access to a"help" page where he works. It listed far more circuits than the Owner's Manual. I actually pulled the following fuses based on the information my son provided. In the drivers side fuse panel, Fuses 5 and 8. In the passsenger side fuse panel, 9, 10 and 11.

As I mentioned, I pulled them to test them. This was maybe a happy accident. Each fuse has multiple circuits on them. So, my first step was to try the other things on the fuse to see if there was a total failure of the circuits on the fuse. I didn't find anything that way and began to pull the fuse anyway. I don't know exactly when, but, the screen started working.

I suspect that cutting off the power by pulling the fuses actually restored something in the panel. There are some electronic devices that require the power to be remover to restore themselfs. I don't know for sure, but, it worked and I am a happy man. Good luck! I hope it works for you too.
I'm glad these post still exist. This thread was started in 2006 and I just had a problem with both my radio and navigation screen not working (a dreadful feeling since that back up camera is so helpful when backing into parking spaces). For me, it was fuse #9in the passenger side fuse box that was burnt. Saved me an hour of checking each fuse in the 4 different fuse boxes.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts

My trip computer was not working, but the radio was so I check the fuses suggested above on the passenger side and none of them were blown. I turned the car back on and the trip computer worked again. Some of the fuses were dirty so that may have been the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a 03 MDX and few weeks ago the Trip computer stop showing up the Average and MPG the blue line that indicates the throttle acceleration is not showing ether, lately is starting to be on and off!!
Any indication on what may be the problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
Tnx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had similar experience with my Acura MDX 2001 on April 7, 2018. My trip computer and radio just went blank while driving. While seeking solution, I found this site via google search. Reading others very helpful tests, I found fuse #9 on the passenger side was damaged. I replaced it and my trip computer and radio are back online. Thanks so much to all of you that posted solutions here. This is my go to site now for any problem Acura MDX before a mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey maybe you can help me. i pulled all those fuses in my 2006 MDX and I still was not able to get the screen to turn on.
I took out the screen and put it in a 2004 MDX and it worked. I took the 2004 screen and it didn’t work in my 2006 MDX! I don’t know what other route to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts