Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 44 K on my MDX and the OEM Lattitude Touring HP's (19") are down to 3/32. Although these have 11K left on the Michelin warranty, Dealer told me to go pound sand.

That said, I looked around at Costco and Tirerack. Costco has the Michelin Defenders for about 179+ while Tirerack offered some comparative Coninentals and Pirelli Scorpion Verde in the similar price range. After looking deeper past the thousands of slick marketing Youtube and Google postings all singing the praise of these tires, I found a few lest ...err...enthusiastic reviews and I came away with the feeling that
1. No matter how much the guy at Tirerack says his tires are just like riding on a puff of cloud and they will last through the next ice age, they are all a crapshoot.
2. After my experience with the dealer, I figured that warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on.

So it all boils down to cost. And that knocks Tirerack out cause you gotta add shipping to their tire prices.

I did find a set of Nitto NT421Q's with free shipping. Does anyone have any experience with these tires and can chime in? They sound pretty good on paper but I'm interested in actual experiences. Can anyone share their ownership experience on ride quality, road noise, rain handling, and snow handling? Thanks in advance.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
268 Posts
While I can't provide any information for you on the Nitto tires you're looking at, I can give you my 2 cents about the other things you brought up.

When you say 'Dealer', you mean Acura, right? If so, it's unfortunate that they gave you that attitude.

I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but I didn't read over the tire warranty booklet of my MDX when my wife and I bought it. I'm kind of interested to see what the details are. But from the sound of it, it appears that you should be entitled to something.
Have you tried contacting an authorized Michelin tire dealer? You may have a bit more success getting some type of pro-rated warranty from a Michelin dealer more so than an Acura dealer.

My local Acura dealership isn't an authorized Michelin tire dealer. However, when I went there one time for service they did put in a good amount of effort to get a customer's prematurely worn OEM tires replaced with some type price adjustment under the treadwear warranty. I believe the service advisor or manager had been talking on the phone with Michelin, and that Michelin had directed them to work with TireRack on the warranty reimbursment/credit and replacement tires.

There are always exceptions to this rule, but in general I've felt that "you get what you pay for" when it comes to tires. I actually look at the TireRack reviews and user ratings (taken with a grain of salt, of course), and I also check out how the tire models performed in the controlled "lab" tests done by Consumer Reports. Given the information between the two sources, I just use my best judgement and pick the tire models that best fit my needs, budget, and wants.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I can't provide any information for you on the Nitto tires you're looking at, I can give you my 2 cents about the other things you brought up.

When you say 'Dealer', you mean Acura, right? If so, it's unfortunate that they gave you that attitude.

I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but I didn't read over the tire warranty booklet of my MDX when my wife and I bought it. I'm kind of interested to see what the details are. But from the sound of it, it appears that you should be entitled to something.
Have you tried contacting an authorized Michelin tire dealer? You may have a bit more success getting some type of pro-rated warranty from a Michelin dealer more so than an Acura dealer.

My local Acura dealership isn't an authorized Michelin tire dealer. However, when I went there one time for service they did put in a good amount of effort to get a customer's prematurely worn OEM tires replaced with some type price adjustment under the treadwear warranty. I believe the service advisor or manager had been talking on the phone with Michelin, and that Michelin had directed them to work with TireRack on the warranty reimbursment/credit and replacement tires.

There are always exceptions to this rule, but in general I've felt that "you get what you pay for" when it comes to tires. I actually look at the TireRack reviews and user ratings (taken with a grain of salt, of course), and I also check out how the tire models performed in the controlled "lab" tests done by Consumer Reports. Given the information between the two sources, I just use my best judgement and pick the tire models that best fit my needs, budget, and wants.

Thank you for your sharing your experience and your gracious reply. When I say "dealer", I do mean my Acura dealer.

My read on the OEM Latitude HP that were OEM is that they are warranted for 55K and I am at 3/32 at 44 K miles. Michelin says to honor the warranty, you (the owner) has to maintain regular maintenance on your tires and they cannot be abused . I have had my MDX back to my dealers at regularly scheduled intervals and they, and only they (Acura dealers) have touched my car. All regular maintenance is done at least according to Acura recommendation. Sometimes, even if the tires drop one or more PSI, I find the time to run my little snowflake /sarcasm/ to the dealer to get the tires up to the proper pressure and they get to look the car over.

The Michelin warranty card points you to the dealer first, then to the Michelin web site for their warranty, which has a link that points you to their web site for their warranty...you can see where I am going with this. My experience with the Acura Dealer service manager is documented in my OP. I suppose I could go back to a place that sells Michelin, but I am not sure if they would do anything as I didn't do any business with them. But I can call them and see.

As far as the "you get what you pay for" mental model, I do agree with this on principle, but I find more and more that nobody will advocate for you but you. Dealers, salesmen, tire stores, Costco, etc. will sell you what is convenient, in stock, what their manager wants to push, or what currently has the best spiff on the backend. I do not mind spending the money, but I'll certainly do my research to back up any recommendations I get. and my research shows that, at least in my case, the warranty only serves to lock you into the dealer for services like alignments, rotations, etc. by keeping you in that frame of mind of "I must do all recommended services on time, and I must do it at the same place. No shopping around cause otherwise the dealer will just use that excuse to deny any warranties." (see, the warranty does work, but only for the dealer) Guess what? they're not gonna honor your warranty ANYWAY.

If I sound negative, or too pragmatic to the rest of you readers, I apologize. Feel free to move on. I am sharing my experiences so others don't fall in the same trap I did. You are certainly free to do as you please.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts