Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tidal wave of complaints about high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights has swamped federal safety officials since they asked for public comment on glare Sept. 26

See this link for more info

Let the discussion begin! :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
THE major problem? While I know there are a number of aftermarket installs out there, alot probably done incorrectly, I find it hard to believe that the majority of the 1800 comments were specifically due to the mis-installed HIDs...there are just way more new cars on the road with them factory installed.

Rob

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
USA Today...

...America's lowest common demoninator.

"Wow, 1800 that's alot."

Uh, excuse me, this is the age of the internet -- I could probably get 1800 comments PER MINUTE!

How many of those "comments" are from folks who specifically know that the glare/brightness is in fact from HIDs? Half?

How many of the comments are sparked by JEALOUSY, after all HIDs have remained the exclusive choice of LUXURY cars much longer than the ABS or airbags?

If the DOLTS at NHTSA attempt to limit/negatively restrict HIDs I can only hope that EVERY forward thinking, technology loving American takes DC by STORM!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You know what???

BULLSH*T....BULLSH*T...BULLSH*T....

Look Halogen is a legacy technology. It is going away...slowly but surely...

I don't give a rats ass if there are complaints...If my Neighbors who own X-5s and Mercedes that have HID...I can install HID in my bikes, my SUV, my cars and even on MY JETSKIS for night riding if I wanted to....

Until the NHST tells me otherwise....If you DONT LIKE IT...MOVE YOUR A** out of my WAY or wear sunglasses when you drive towards me!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Robyjo said:
THE major problem? While I know there are a number of aftermarket installs out there, alot probably done incorrectly, I find it hard to believe that the majority of the 1800 comments were specifically due to the mis-installed HIDs...there are just way more new cars on the road with them factory installed.

Rob
Don't confuse the two comments, AAA was giving their assessment on the use of HIDs overall, not the specific 1800 complaints. They did not say anything about bad installs, although I suppose that could be inferred. Part of a good install is aiming. Their tone was not one condemning HIDs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I don't think that saying the comments are "out of jealousy" is not completely fair. My sister, who is not car or tech savvy, told me she really didn't like the cars with "white" headlights, because they were really bright and the glare really bothered her. I don't even think she knows it is more expensive than other lightings.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
No wonder people dislike HIDs

Fireblade6 said:

I don't give a rats ass if there are complaints...If my Neighbors who own X-5s and Mercedes that have HID...I can install HID in my bikes, my SUV, my cars and even on MY JETSKIS for night riding if I wanted to....

Until the NHST tells me otherwise....If you DONT LIKE IT...MOVE YOUR A** out of my WAY or wear sunglasses when you drive towards me!!!!:mad:
This kind of attitude toward non-HID drivers will only add to their desire to ban them. Whatever happened to diplomacy.:rolleyes:

I have a TL-S with HIDs, so I own both and can take them or leave them. There ARE some HID vehicles on the road that I am ready to ban!!! Lights that "blind" oncoming drivers (whether too bright and/or misalligned) ARE A DANGER! Period. There is nothing for pro-HID folks to gain by that denying that fact.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Now THAT would've made an excellent 1000th post, msu! ;)

Our Audi has HIDs and while we love the additional brightness, we are aware that it could be an annoyance or worse to others...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: You know what???

Fireblade6 said:

Kind of surprising that this post was from Fireblade6, generally very level-headed and giving others the benefit of the doubt (i.e. the posts on hid4less.com)...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell them what you think!

After I read the article, went to the DOT inorder to give them my .02 cents worth:

1. pressed the ES SUBMIT button
2. press the 'Continue' button
3. Docket ID = NHTSA-2001-8885
4. I did not fill out anything on this portion other than #3
5. press 'Continue'
6. Gave them a piece of my mind!

I all suggest you do the same!

rflagg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned a few cars with HIDs (BMWs). I love them when done right. They are MUCH safer for the driver at night, great for spotting deer and other animals.

They do need to be aimed correctly (obviously). The knuckleheads with the homemade installs are a problem.

Some drivers have forgotten something I learned in drivers ed many years ago. Don't stare at headlights when they are coming at you.

I do agree there can be issues when someone follows you closely with side mirrors. It's never really bothered me, but I can understand the issue.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
hipcheck_now said:
... drivers have forgotten something I learned in drivers ed many years ago. Don't stare at headlights when they are coming at you.
YUP!

I wish the NHTSA would just send the "1800 commenters" a little note that said: "We have investigated this issue. It is our recommendation that you avert you eyes. Thank you and have a pleasant day."

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MDXtrous said:
I don't think that saying the comments are "out of jealousy" is not completely fair. My sister, who is not car or tech savvy, told me she really didn't like the cars with "white" headlights, because they were really bright and the glare really bothered her. I don't even think she knows it is more expensive than other lightings.
Yep, I have to agree. I am not about to start a campaign against HIDs but I have experienced annoying HIDs many times, including those on other Acuras (not all the problems are from aftermarket installs). Maybe they give the driver better vision but if they cause problems to many more oncoming drivers than what's the point. Those who say "just avoid looking at my headlights" or "it's just due to jealously" are discounting the concerns and safety of others and acting IMHO a bit self-centered. Part of the problem is too many drivers out there (yes, especially those driving luxury models) take a "it's all about what I want" position and don't consider the effects on others (not all that different from people who use their cell phones while driving and drive like idiots). Maybe it's something that can be solved through better technology or maybe as more HIDs get on the road they will become less noticeable. [...quietly stepping down from soadbox...]

·
Registered
103 Posts
The xenon headlights in my allroad offer the best visibility of any car I have owned. They provide better night vision which is SAFER, not more dangerous. When I drive my wife's MDX the headlights look dim by comparison. The allroad headlights are self-leveling to stay out of the eyes of oncoming cars. I can see where putting HID bulbs in a car without the self leveling feature could cause a problem. Furthermore, with the xenons there is no need to drive around on a clear night with foglights on. In fact, I don't notice any increase in visibility if I turn on the foglights unless I'm really in fog or heavy snowfall.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A2mdxer...I agree

I would bet if the '03 MDX's have HID's they won't be bulbs and ballast’s stuck in the '01 or '02 housings! Me too quietly stepping down from the soapbox.

Niles

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: A2mdxer...I agree

nwaring said:
I would bet if the '03 MDX's have HID's they won't be bulbs and ballast’s stuck in the '01 or '02 housings! Me too quietly stepping down from the soapbox.

Niles
No they won't! They will be bulbs and ballasts in '03 housings!

:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flawed and exaggerated for a number of reasons. To name a couple of glaring reasons:

1 - You can't compare the number of responses of current intenet surveys with the old fashion snail mail surveys of years ago. It's much morre convenient to voice an opinion today!

2 - How many of those objecting actually knew if the offending headlight was HID. I bet the majority were those blue replacemnet bulbs that some folks use.

I have HID's on my Audi andthe only time they bother other drivers is on back roads when there are dips that put them below the lights horizon. On level roads it's actually LESS glare!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts