Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been lurking...

but, at the risk of seeming negative at first post, I haven't seen my little pet peeve addressed by anyone of similar mind (are there no similar minds:confused: )

I object to spending $45K+ on a fully-tricked vehicle with very limited exterior color choices (not the problem), only two interiors (not the problem), and being told that one simply cannot figure a way to wheel a RedRock chassis over to the assembly line with the Ebony upholstery and let the magic happen. This is not a bizarre oddball combination as I see it. What is the deal?

I went to test a white/saddle/tour last weekend with the intention of ordering a GG/EN -- too late to the party. I warmed up to the RedRock color but, to my eye, the saddle looks a little plasticky -- no offense to those of differing opinations. And what's with that little flimsy plastic door over the side compartment in the rear of a $40K SUV?

There, that's it. I am otherwise totally enthralled with the vehicle, the concept and the execution, and the great crowd of enthusiasts and insiders here at the .org. I am, however, holding my cash and enthusiasm in check at the moment due to the seller's market stance. As I wait, MDX 2003 (RR/EN) and Volvo XC90 and Lexus GX tempt me away from the cues of today. My choice: best off-roadster. I don't belong to the clique that utters the mantra "most of us will never take our SUV off-road...."

4 of a kind (4WD) beats a flush (AWD) in the bush

:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
MacMikester said:
..but, at the risk of seeming negative at first post ...
We all owned different cars at times so the MDX is not the only world of our life. :) You are not so much negative, you just have not made up your mind. There are many "lookers" ... some even talk about they want this and they want that. They want such and such car in 2003.. 2004.. and beyond the galaxy. To me, that is too far down the line. That's just dreaming... no offense to anybody. Dreaming can bring satisfaction too.

Maybe you are new to this forum or in the MDX world. I am quite new to MDX myself ... waiting 3 month and owning for 3 months. However, I have seen a lot out of this message board traffic. My observation is the MDX folks tend to want the "whole package deal put together for them" at the best package price. Many of them don't even know how to drive manual shift. The MDX has everything put together so you don't have to. Combination of color inside and out, for example, is part of the car design. Do you really know those two colors will go together nicely? They may sounds good, but you may not buy it once you see it.

The MDX is the best package out there... it is not the only good SUV. If you want different parts, color for different combination and are WILLING to pay for them to claim you are an "enthusiastist", buy a BMW. They have so many combination even the salesman can't figure out. They are fine car too (I own one), but on the SUV they have just are not offering a nice package at a good price today. A good price is a good price even at MSRP. (You won't hear me say this six months ago.) with a BMW plus options, you can easily get up to 50K before tax and have no trunk to speak for. Sorry I am using that as an example.. not to just nag at the beamer. Love to have one as my 2nd SUV if I can offer it. Don't miss any future super duper since I've got the best SUV today.

Just to share with you some of my MDX 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey RMM,

Thanks for your input, but I think you misunderstood me a little bit. I went last weekend to buy an MDX, not just to consider it. Although I am a new poster here, I have read virtually every post on this board over the last couple of weeks--whew!

I am posting my "complaint" here to complete my efforts at what just one man can do to effect a change of policy at Acura. I have already called customer service and had my sales rep pass on the request for an RR/EN option. Maybe other interested folks and dealers will see this and agree. The more requests the better.

BTW, if you really see why I have decided on the MDX as my choice for my next SUV, you would see that I would never consider the X5. I believe Acura (Honda) hit exactly the right balance of utility and luxury for me. However light, automated and sophisticated it is, the drivetrain in the MDX is true 4WD and not AWD. I can do all the crawling I will ever need to do with 4WD locked in at 18 mph or less (that would be a pretty fast crawl). This is one of the coolest features of the vehicle. On the sport side, I wish it downshifted into third instead of fourth gear when you mashed on the pedal at passing speed, but I think I can master the manual shift when needed. Best in class horsepower and fuel economy with ULEV rating is a combo accolade that defines superior engine technology.

I can be as thrilled as I can be about the 2002 MDX or anything else in life for that matter, but still be objective enough to see the big picture. I think my nipickings are a lot more justified than some who have been complaining about lack of stability control (just a trendy gimmick IMHO, but then I tend to drive with the gas pedal and not the brakes).

When I went for my test drive, I told the sales rep that I would like to see some windy back roads, some highway and some dirt. We came back smiling with mud spattered all up the sides:D . I don't think a BMW salesman would have been smiling. Of the available possibilities, I just want RR/EN for my money, that's all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts