Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone! I'm the second owner of a 2003 Touring model and I'm very happy with the car. Previous owner bought it new and put 274k miles on it commuting for work. After purchase I had timing belt/water pump changed and it needed rear shocks and sway bar links but now that those are done I don't have any other major concerns beyond the transmission.
I did find a few other threads on the subject but didn't see my issue discussed so I wanted to ask for some input. The car seems to stay in first gear a little too long, and won't shift into 2nd unless it gets up to 3000-3500 RPM while it's cold. After it warms up I've gotten used to letting off the throttle a little to let it shift into second a little easier but was wondering if this is something I should get looked at.
I'm okay with basic maintenance in that I can usually figure things out with enough time but usually take my cars for oil changes to avoid the mess I make in the garage :) Should I get the tranny fluid changed next oil change? The PO said he had all maintenance done through the dealer, he has two newer MDX's and it looks like he takes good care of them but he didn't have any maintenance records as they were misplaced during a recent move and the car wasn't serviced locally.

Secondly, the Navi seems to either have a bad disk, or a bad DVD head unit as it continuously cycles through boot up then gives an error about can't read the DVD, etc. I've taken the disk out so I can get to the A/C controls but wondered if there was any low-cost solutions.

This forum is great! I'm grateful for the info you all share here and already bought my replacement vent tabs at Ventabs.com so thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The DVD is prone to failure. I had mine rebuilt by Alpine?. It cost about $200 but I understand the fixed rate overhaul has increased in price to $300 or so.

I suggest drain/replace the ATF w/ Honda DW1 and see if performance is improved.

good luck

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Your shifting performance isn't unusual at all. Honda had some problems with the 2nd gear clutch discs, and "fixed it" by reprogramming the shift points (way, way up). Mine was shifting at least as high as yours, often higher. I did a mod to "recalibrate" the throttle position sensor, which does seem to have helped, though I still wish it shifted a little lower than it does (and wasn't quite as prone to downshifting on shallow hills). You can find the thread here:http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/103570-shift-happy-tranny.html

That said, TexasHonda's suggestion is gold - doing frequent transmission fluid drain-and-refills is the best thing you can do for a 1G MDX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.