Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup everyone!!
I called a dealer and let them know I was looking for a Havasu Blue Metallic Touring w/Navi.
He told me they would getting 3 in within the next 2 weeks, but delivery would be on the 25th of May.
What do I need to get from him? He told me that he would give me a VIN number, then I would have to go a make a deal, sign paperwork, and the car would be mine.
How reliable are the dealers when letting you know when a vehicle has arrived? Should I call back often?
Also is there a fixed price on MDX's? I would think there would be no discounts available.
Also does the MDX come with a step?
If not, how much does it go for?

Any kind of advice is appreciated.
Thanks!!!:D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Did he ask for a deposit? Most if not all are asking for a deposit to "hold" a X for you. Usually it's 1k down, of course applied to the final price. As far as making a deal, very little chance of paying lower than MSRP, lowest below sticker I've seen is 500 dollars off. Accesories, most just give wheel locks and mud guards, the other half just give you coffee mugs and a simple car cleaning kit. Right now at least ask him for a "build date" , if it alread past and you are firm on buying it ask for a VIN. Reliability of dealers depends of the dealers themselves. My salesperson really did not call me every week, so I did, but on the final sale he was a great salesperson. The sales mag was great never forced anything! one mention of the extended warranty,we said no thanks and that was last we heard of it. SO give you sales person a call every week just to ask what the status of the X is.

GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no he did not ask for a deposit, but said he would give me the VIN once it came. But I've noticed a lot of people here have been waiting a long time to get their MDX. I'm just worried that the dealer could be exaggerating about getting my MDX before the end of May.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I know one dealer in my area didnt take a deposit, but it was first come first serve. So if the dealer had it and called you you basically needed to say Yes I am coming to buy it right now. The catch was it was loaded with accesories. So I steared clear of that dealership. Again, ask him for a build date on the X, more than likely it should have a build date since he said it will come before the end of May. The time it takes from build to deliveryt usually takes 5-7 depeneding on where in the US you are to receive it. So be firm and ask what is the build date, he should know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My dealer faxed me a distribution list for the cars he is to receive with mine indentified and underllined. I also signed an agreement to put my deposit against that vehicle.
There is an idenification ' number ', description (model and color), and build date, even though they don't have a VIN number at that point.
He put that 'number' on the agreement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
two things to keep in mind when making the deposit (as others have mentioned, often being $1k):

first, make sure your deposit is fully refundable. ask your sales person specificly what will happen to your deposit if, in a rare case, that you decide not to buy the car after its arrival at the dealership....

secondly, make sure you like the color (both exterior and interior), the one you picked for the exterior is a new color and i've not seen any on the street yet, there's a couple of thread on this forum discussing the new color and one of them acturally had pictures (real pictures of the viecle, not from brochure)... the color on the booklet from Acura differs a lot from the real thing....

there is little room for negotiation regarding the car price, most people pay MSRP here in north texas, but we can always get free accessories, we paid MSRP for ours, but the sales person threw in the mud guards, body side molding, moon roof visor and wheel locks for free.... you can try asking for maybe $500 free accessories and go from there....

good luck,

·
Registered
285 Posts
two things to keep in mind when making the deposit (as others have mentioned, often being $1k):

first, make sure your deposit is fully refundable. ask your sales person specificly what will happen to your deposit if, in a rare case, that you decide not to buy the car after its arrival at the dealership....

secondly, make sure you like the color (both exterior and interior), the one you picked for the exterior is a new color and i've not seen any on the street yet, there's a couple of thread on this forum discussing the new color and one of them acturally had pictures (real pictures of the viecle, not from brochure)... the color on the booklet from Acura differs a lot from the real thing....

there is little room for negotiation regarding the car price, most people pay MSRP here in north texas, but we can always get free accessories, we paid MSRP for ours, but the sales person threw in the mud guards, body side molding, moon roof visor and wheel locks for free.... you can try asking for maybe $500 free accessories and go from there....

good luck,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wait and Pricing

I walked into the dealer on March 27 and asked to get on the wait list for a White with touring/nav. I was told that it would be around July before it came in. I put down a $500 refundable deposit (by credit card, but the dealer never charged it).

2 weeks later, I got a call saying there was a cancellation by someone ahead of me, and that they got the car in already. I am now driving the vehicle (got it for MSRP - they threw in rear mud flaps - no forced accessories). So I guess it varies by dealer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Business goes both ways!

As a buyer, if I am serious, I would rather somebody takes my deposit so that I know the seller side is serious.

As a salesman, I would rather know I have somebody who is seriously interested in getting a car from me. The deal is not done until the car is sold. As my salesman told me, it is nothing worse than having a buyer but no car to deliver.

I don't know the logic of the dealerships that do not take deposit (refundable in most cases I have seen here). I can see that dealer still makes the big $$ but the salesmen would go crazy whenever there is an MDX on the lot. How do they prevent their own people fighting each other? How do they avoid a simutanenous YESes from multiple buyers?

So, my guess is back on the scenario that this arrangement is BEST for the dealerships. They can load the car with options and say "WE HAVE A CAR ON THE LOT... COME AND GET IT."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i called the dealer back and they said they are adding a 2000 markup!!
They said they can get the car in a month, so they marked it up.
Is there any place in the US where you can get the car quickly without a makrup?
I am willing to go out of state if needed, but preferably the west coast. I live in San Diego.

Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
i got quotes from three dealerships here in dallas, texas... all asked for MSRP with no forced accessories... they all agreed to throw in a number of accessories free too...

but i guess texas is a little bit too far away from california... ;)

good luck...

btw, you might want to ask that dealer whether the markup is for accessories or just for the car itself....

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
kkambbak9399 said:

What a rip! The dealer obviously wants to still try to cash in on the demand. If this is the way the do business you should stear clear. Try going to Acura website and click on aquire. You will be taken to a screen where you choose the care, The X. and options etc. When it asks for personal info just put anything and it will give you a listing of dealers in you area you can check inventory as well. From there just give each place a ring and say you are seriously looking into purchasing the X and well you know the rest...... always talk to the sales mgr. So you can cut to the chase.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
kkambbak9399 said:
Is there any place in the US where you can get the car quickly without a makrup?
I am willing to go out of state if needed, but preferably the west coast. I live in San Diego.

Thanks
What?? I live in Northern California and will be at Acura of the Desert to pick up my MSRP next week, and drive it back to San Jose!
You have lots of dealers in LA, OC,Costa Mesa, etc. start calling and sending emails out. Cush in SD was going to give me MSRP with like $200 in options, which I could have used anyway, but the next car was 2 months away. If you don't mind the drive, Niello in Sacramento is very good. Get the deler list on the Acura site and send out emails. Don't just say "I am looking for a car." Be specific and let them know you want MSRP.

·
Registered
273 Posts
kkambbak9399 said:

Thanks
kkambbak,

Go to the Dealer Recommondations/Experience section of the forum to find a better dealer.

I'd recommend contacting Chuck Hershey at Metro Acura. No money down, no forced accessories. No BS. All they require is that you FAX a credit application, which they don't run.

My .02 cents worth!

rflagg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rflagg said:

kkambbak,

Go to the Dealer Recommondations/Experience section of the forum to find a better dealer.

I'd recommend contacting Chuck Hershey at Metro Acura. No money down, no forced accessories. No BS. All they require is that you FAX a credit application, which they don't run.

My .02 cents worth!

rflagg
Thanks!!
I called Chuck and faxed him a credit report.
He seems really cool.
Best of all no markup!!
He said he could get a Touring Navi Havasu Blue in less than 6 weeks!! woohoo!!

thanks!
hope everything goes well.. :cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
kkambbak9399 said:

Thanks!!
I called Chuck and faxed him a credit report.
He seems really cool.
Best of all no markup!!
He said he could get a Touring Navi Havasu Blue in less than 6 weeks!! woohoo!!

thanks!
hope everything goes well.. :cool:
Chuck is the best. I've nothing but good things to say about him and the dealership. I live in Santa Clarita, about an hour and a half away from the dealership. Even though I was an "out-of-tower, they treated me very well.

Chuck will call you when he has the build date. It will arrive about 10 days after it is built.

Now I recommend you visit Tim's WEB site and start ordering accessories while you still have the money!

rflagg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ive dealt with Tom Corninwell at Metro Acura. I have had good luck with him and the dealership. I just checked and they have a Black Touring & Nav right now not spoken for. They put on wheel locks, rear mud guards and fender wells (black trim to protect the fender). Price is $40152.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in NYC and I was told by many dealers that I could have the MDX at MSRP with no forced options but I would have towait until june-July for delivery.

You can get it earlier (3-4 weeks wait) but they are charging up to 1G over MSRP.

Good Luck

·
Registered
273 Posts
adg said:
I live in NYC and I was told by many dealers that I could have the MDX at MSRP with no forced options but I would have towait until june-July for delivery.

You can get it earlier (3-4 weeks wait) but they are charging up to 1G over MSRP.

Good Luck
It's different out here in Southern California. There are many Acura dealerships. A 3-4 week wait means that the car is already in their allocation. If they were to order one, it would take an additional two weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts