Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think they look pretty cool. I assume they are the 20"x8.5" rims with a 35mm offset. Do you notice any difference in handling and ride? A 1" difference in wheel size with consequent lower profile tires should give a small improvement in handling and a little firmer ride. I don't know what the smaller offset would do (OEM=55mm).

One thing that drives me crazy about aftermarket rims is that most don't publish a load rating. Those that I looked at (5 years ago) that had ratings were lower than stock, which is probably a non-issue unless towing or heavily loading the MDX.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would love to get new wheels but for me, the "bling" factor is not worth it.
Yeah, aftermarket wheels are tough to appreciate. It's amazing how the OEM design wheels that have such broad appeal and actually define the car. I've always considered Honda products to be very unwilling partners when it comes to fitting wheels outside of what Honda/Acura designed for that range.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree - aesthetic choices are not "right" or "wrong", although all too often there is judgement. Some of us like the stock look, and others like to customize - it's all good. In the context of wheels the main concern I have with aftermarket wheels is with the load ratings, which are often lower than stock or not published at all. The reason the OEM wheels look bulky compared to many of the popular aftermarket designs is that they are made strong. Another thing is the offset: the MDX 55mm offset is unusually large, and there are few aftermarket wheels that are available with 55mm in the MDX size. I simply don't know enough about suspensions to say what 20mm less offset would do, but probably moving the wheels 20mm outboard wouldn't be a big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts