Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for an MDX and considering between the Tech Package and the Base model, as well as considering a New vs Used model.

Looking to upgrade to MDX after (replacing a Toyota Corolla which we've had for 14 years (and 160,000+ miles)), and am going into this assuming this will be our family car for it's entire usable life (Hopefully 10+ happy years at least).

New vs Used
So, for what it's worth, if I look at prices of New Cars vs Used on Cars.com or TrueCar, I'm shocked that the cost/mile of New and Used is not statistically different. If I use 150,000 as a basic target miles for the cars usable life (and I realize it could probably go way beyond that if kept up properly), there are actually used cars which equate out to a higher cost/mile than a new car. I realize that taxes and insurance may skew this calculation back towards a used car in the end, but I am still surprised by this to say the least. Then again, I plan to finance and rates are better on a new car, and I'll also get a longer warranty period and lower maintenance costs, presumably; so there's that as well.

When you read online you'll constantly read that cars don't hold their value well in the 1st few years, and I understand this. But I also think that this isn't necessarily an accurate input to a purchase decision because a car's replacement and equity value is not necessarily what the purchase price would be; given that dealers will typically markup a car's price and, frankly, I'm not looking at a private sale at this point.

Just looking for a sanity check on the above in considering if I'm missing something big when it comes to New vs Used. Any thoughts?

Tech Package vs Base Model
Just looking for some insights here -- We really are only interested in the 2 extra safety features of the tech package (BSM and Cross-Rear Traffic Alert)... Are these really worth $4k?

The latest MDX talks about perforated leather seats in the tech package? How much better are these seats than the regular? Given we live in NY and the roads in the NY Metro area are awful, I'm thinking we'd prefer 18 inch wheels over 20 wheels anyway. The newest MDX has Android Auto, so I wouldn't want the poorly reviewed Nav anyway; I'm a big fan of Google Maps. Upgraded stereo is nice but I've got kids... we aren't blasting music in the car these days. Remote Start is useless as we park in a valet'd garage in NYC.

Are there any other unadvertised benefits within the tech package which might steer me toward it or am I pretty safe with the SH-AWD Base model?

Thank you for your insights!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a year ago and went for the 17 base. The things I really wanted (heated seats, remote start, fog lights), I was able to add it later on. I am also in NYC and 18 inch wheels are pretty decent cruising around ride wise. I think the only thing that I really wanted (just cool feature) thats in the tech are the power folding mirrors as I did not care much for the navi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. When you say you "added it later on" did you add these things aftermarket or OEM? I didn't think Acura perform individual OEM upgrades and forced you to buy these packages are purchase time.

I was considering adding the Blind Spot Monitoring after-market, but didn't want some cheap looking generic system installed. I'm also just not sure the value of BSM; does it just make you a lazy and more dangerous driver?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. When you say you "added it later on" did you add these things aftermarket or OEM? I didn't think Acura perform individual OEM upgrades and forced you to buy these packages are purchase time.

I was considering adding the Blind Spot Monitoring after-market, but didn't want some cheap looking generic system installed. I'm also just not sure the value of BSM; does it just make you a lazy and more dangerous driver?

They were OEM accessories which were added later by one of the dealers (Rallye) after I called several dealers and shopped around for the lowest price. You can always add these whenever, not required to do it when you buy it new. These are all all of the accessories available currently that you can do yourself or get them from a dealer - https://estore.honda.com/acura/acce...ui-list.asp?year=2017&model=MDX&modelName=MDX

From the above, I added the roof rails myself (took me an hour and half after ordering the part on ebay) and will be looking to add the rear/sports step boards (got them also off of ebay) in a couple of weeks when I get the time. Not sure about the Blind Spot Monitoring, maybe someone else can chime in on that as its not an OEM accessory thats available. Honestly, I personally do not think thats something that I would go and add but thats just me.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Thank you!
BSM and cross traffic alert are without a doubt the best safety options. As good a driver as you may think you are,no one is perfect. Especially if you use your signals when changing lanes. Sometimes you miss something. The car doesn't. If you need to buy the tech to get BSM,I would do it. Otherwise skip it. Do as I say,not what I do. I have an advance.
I just read the specs again. Even if you don't use Nav,it's worth it. In my opinion. More opinions. You said you park in a garage,so no remote start. Is that the only place you ever park? It can still come in handy if you ever park outside anywhere.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'm glad cars have the SiriusXM shark fin. The stock has done very well. I use a Garmin gps. The maps are more up to date and updates are free. One touch away from rest areas. The LKAS is nice until you are on a road that has a lot of patching. I have no problem financing a car. Interest rates are still low. As far as dealer financing,you have to figure out which makes more sense. I'd rather have the 45k or 50k in the market. Just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts