Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the ATF and I'm probably overthinking, but this is the only automatic automobile that I own and need clarification on the ATF level.

According to the owner's manual, you check the level by starting the car, waiting until the fan comes on, turning the car off, waiting 60-90 seconds, and then read the dipstick. According to this method, I'm under the minimum mark by a little under a centimeter.

Based on researching this forum, the 3x3 appeared a bit overkill and the previous owner did routine maintenance, so I replaced 3 quarts the first time and 3 quarts + 1/3 quart (per the owner's manual) the second time.

As I mentioned, the dipstick is showing a little less than 1cm from the bottom dot. Does this mean I need to add more ATF or is there a variance in the reading based on driving conditions, etc... ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Drive around in the highway let the car reach operating temp..
Park on a level surface and check the ATF level after at least 2 minutes.

Oil level should be between both lines. If close to the minimum add ATF.. If close to full do nothing.
If lower than the minimum dot Add ATF ASAP!

Reactions: voiddweller

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much fluid needs to be in the transmission to register on the bottom of the dipstick and what is the amount of fluid betwen dots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Supposedly (I haven´t measure this myself) From Dot to Dot is 1quart.. So in order to raise the level from beneath the lower dot to between the lines it should be around half a quart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not directly answering your question but I basically measured what came out (in a 5 qt jug) and replaced the same amount (for my wife's 2014 MDX). Did 3x3 (waited one week after the first one then drove on a highway for 10 mins between 2nd and 3rd). Each time I got 4 qt out. As for 3x3, may be an overkill but found my tranny to be significantly smoother than before. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the fluid level today after waiting two minutes from engine shutdown when I arrived home from my afternoon commute. It was still low so I put in the rest of the unused quart (for a total of four) for the second change. That brought the level slightly above the bottom dot.

Shifting is noticeably smoother.

I may do the third change after today's 300 mile road trip to see if there's a difference.

All the changes are with the MDX completely level.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Just FYI... While the procedure is called "3x3" the MDX actually uses around 4q of ATF.
So its more of a "3x4".

The 3x3 comes from a lot of Honda transmissions that do use exactly 3q like in my TL-S.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably my imagination, but gas mileage improved 1 MPG after 400 miles :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts