Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some members have installed subs in the factory location that are designed for a sealed or ported box. I am wondering if the sub sounds any better than the factory sub. I am sure the factory sub is not of the highest quality, but it is probably designed for free-air usage unlike the Polk GNX10 or other subs mentioned in this forum. Any comments?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, you could definately put a different 10" sub in the factory location, but only under certain circumstances. Make sure the rear end of the new sub is comparable to the factory sub. If these measurements macth up with each other, go for it. Now the Screw holes to mount the new subwoofer are different than the factory ones, all you need to do is try to screw as many as you can with keeping the standard holes that were already in the car. Good luck, and remember to let me know how that worked out for you.

P.S. - Could you put some pictures on their to show some other members?? That would be great.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I should have an adapter ready this week. I will share pics etc once I have it installed. Plan to swap out with a GNX and also add a 100 hz filter.

Damn, need to finish my reverse-aid alarm too! Too many projects, and too little time.. now the grass in getting too long.. how am I going to up my post count at this rate?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaleB,

Can you answer my original questions? All the threads I read about replacing the sub just don't make sense to me. Most subs, including the GNX10, are not designed for a free-air application. How can you get better sound by just swapping the factory sub? The other factor that plays against you is the amount of power available. From what I've read, the sub amp probably doesn't output more than 25W since it doesn't connect to the battery directly. Most subs need at least 100W to play the way they were designed to.

Any comments?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts