Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a road-trip to New Orleans. Because of the fact that much of the city is built over swamp and/or bad maintenance - some of the roads there make urban driving an off-road adventure. I especially mention Woodland Drive (Between Tullis and McArthur) as specially memorable. Tooling down Woodland at 30 mph was a lot bumpier than the Metberry Gulch off-road trail in Colorado - much to the delight of me and my grandson - and much to the distress of my wife and 85 year old mother.
I would like to nominate Woodland Drive as an official "Urban Off-Road Trail"
Any one out there have an even better candidate??

Meep Meep

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
What you described is probably true of about 75% of the roads here in New York City or better, Pothole City!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It doesn't seem to me like you've seen most of..........

roadrunner said:
Just returned from a road-trip to New Orleans. Because of the fact that much of the city is built over swamp and/or bad maintenance - some of the roads there make urban driving an off-road adventure. I especially mention Woodland Drive (Between Tullis and McArthur) as specially memorable. Tooling down Woodland at 30 mph was a lot bumpier than the Metberry Gulch off-road trail in Colorado - much to the delight of me and my grandson - and much to the distress of my wife and 85 year old mother.
I would like to nominate Woodland Drive as an official "Urban Off-Road Trail"
Any one out there have an even better candidate??

Meep Meep
............the Los Angeles area which just happens to be another so called "urban off-roaders" paradise. I just heard the other day on TV that Los Angeles has THE WORST condition roads in the Nation. True we do have 16-lane clogged freeways all over the place, but they've got to be some of the most poorly maintained roads I've ever seen in the so-called "developed world"!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That's exactly what boggles my mind when I see so many people around here driving Porsche's, BMW sports cars etc with under 4 inches of ground clearance......and, yes, not to forget all those lowered :rolleyes: civics and accords driving around !!!! :D :D - But what really takes the cake is the number of Pick-up trucks that I see driving around that have been so lowered to the ground that their undercarriages are practically scraping the road!!!! :rolleyes:

...............this is one reason why I will NEVER buy a car again as long as I live.........and this also addresses the common question that the anti-SUV gang asks: "How many times do you really go off-roading to justify an SUV purchase??"

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
LOL Vic, that's sooo true. I used to commute weekly to LA years ago -- at least no one will fall asleep @ the wheel down there.

BTW, I've convinced myself that the freeway lanes in LA (esp on the Ventura Fwy) are narrower than elsewhere in the state. Is that true, or am I imagining things?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts