Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. At the end of August I installed new spark plugs on my 2010 Tech with 123,000 miles. I will say that the job took about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The back 3 plugs were a little more difficult due to having to feel my way since couldn't see the back side. i used my ratchet, 6 inch extension, and magnetized 5/8 spark plug socket. After doing that i put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank, and sprayed a can into the throttle body assembly. i will say if you do it that way be prepared for your hands to get very hot. i can say that after the spark plugs and Seafoam treatment my X seems a little peppier and my gas mileage did increase a bit. I do love my MDX!

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's not uncommon for new spark plugs to generally yield around 5hp bump when first installed before the power returns to its original level.

If you haven't been using synthetic oil and/or premium fuel consistently, the Seafoam will restore some power by clearing out the gunk, otherwise the power is probably from the new plugs most likely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I regularly use Costco gas 91 here. I haven't moved to a synthetic oil but have been thinking about it due to mileage. I plan on putting Seafoam 500 or so miles in before my next oil change.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I changed my MDX spark plugs at 75,000 miles just to keep her in top running condition. I've noticed when I did my spark plugs on my TSX and RDX at +100,000 mile there was an improvement in throttle response, faster starts, and a slight bump in mpgs. I didn't want to wait another +25,000 miles on my MDX plugs as my performance and mpgs slowly decreases. Performance feels about the same after the change (the best you can get at 5000-8000ft); but, mpgs seems to moved slightly upwards. See how the MDX does with winter blend gas from Sams and Costco.

·
Registered
798 Posts
New one on me. Can you provide a link to data supporting this claim? Thanks.
Don't have any links off the top of my head but what triggered all this was when the "performance" spark plug craze started awhile ago.

There were a lot of debates back and forth and it was found that just changing from old tires plugs often yielded a few pony bump regardless if "performance" plugs or good regular plugs were used. These were back to back dyno tests.

These types of companies would often take very worn out plugs to gain that extra power to make it seem like their "performance" plugs actually did something to justify premium price and sell more plugs.

Important to note that the few ponies were not necessarily gained but restored.

On a 100k change interval these days, you can easily restore some amount of power, however minute it may be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts