Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So back in mid 2019 I got a bargain set of Continental CrossContact LX20 tires for my 2016 Base (FWD) MDX. I think out the door installed they were $650 from (of all places) Wal Mart. Continental was purported to have discontinued this model and deals were had. Unfortunately I had some noise trouble with these tires at about 30,000 miles and was told by my Acura dealer that it was due to uneven wear. I had rotated them religiously but when I brought it in for my last rotation to the dealer....the tire noise was pass-able in one position but awful in the other position. I was told that I needed alignment and decided to wait until new tires were purchased. I had the dealer keep the Continentals in the quieter set-up location(s) and moved on. Since that time....about a year ago....I have not rotated the tires. Obviously now my fronts are worn down but rears had some life left. Winter is coming. I looked at my records today and despite my alignment/noise issues with these tires...I did still get 45,000 on the Continentals for $650 so I really cannot complain too much.

Time for new tires.

I had every intention of buying at Costco and finally decided on the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Not very exciting...but I don't like the 'looks' of the LX A/S tire or the Defender tire. I was ready for some peace and quiet and the last Latitudes that I had were very quiet. I bought/paid Costco for the tires with their $150 off Michelin special and quickly realized that Costco is no longer such an obviously good deal. A quick shop around revealed that almost every tire dealer in town was advertised cheaper than Costco even with the $150 sale going on. I cancelled my Costco order and....

I bought the Cross Climate 2 from Discount Tire. They gave me $110 off for online order + 5% off for using their credit card which also provides 9 months 0% financing. The total cost for the CC2's was $60 less installed when compared to the Latitude 2's from Costco and if I choose to can be paid over the course of 9 months.

I haven't driven on them much yet....just a quick ride from Discount Tire to Acura Dealer for a full alignment. The noise and ride difference is nothing short of astounding. Steering is so clearly more responsive that it feels like a new car or suspension. Now lets see if I am able to get 50,000 miles out of these CC2's. I will say that the tread design on these CC2's is non traditional and will be something for me to get used to from an aesthetic perspective.

SO the moral of the story: I no longer will assume that Costco's semi annual Michelin sale is such a great or special 'deal'. I'm also thankful that I won't have to go to Costco for my 2-3 times per year rotations. I was extremely pleased with the service at Discount Tire and hope for the same during rotations. Sure these tires cost me about $400 more than the Contis....but that was three LONG years ago...with many price increases in between. I was unable to find anything that resembled a 'steal or deal' on a new set of decent name brand tires. So away we go.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
SO the moral of the story: I no longer will assume that Costco's semi annual Michelin sale is such a great or special 'deal'. I'm also thankful that I won't have to go to Costco for my 2-3 times per year rotations. I was extremely pleased with the service at Discount Tire and hope for the same during rotations.
For my current set of tires on my 2014 I went with Michelin Defender over the Michelin CC2 with the main driver being that the CC2 is a directional tire so for tire rotations they can only be switched back to front rather than in an X cross side switch. This is extra important to maximize the life of the tires if you've experienced any uneven tire wear in your vehicle. If you choose to, you could still do an X rotation but it'd involve demounting/remounting/rebalancing the tires on each rotation.

I understand what you mean about the 'look' of the Defender because from the side you can see some of the more 'SUVish' aggressive look of them compared to something more 'sedanish' looking but I decided - the MDX 'is' an SUV.

I considered the Michelin Latitude but they've shown as 'backordered' on Costco, Discount, and everyplace else I looked - at least in the size my MDX uses (19"). It's been showing this way for months now. I don't know if they're still being made.

I've found Costco generally has the best price on tires I want, if they happen to carry the ones I want, but I find buying tires from Costco to be a hassle since they're always busy and I always have to wait too long and I don't enjoy spending time wandering inside a Costco for an hour, or even 5 minutes. However, I've found Discount is usually higher than Costco but will always match the Costco price without any hassles and Discount has been great to work with so I usually end up buying my tires at Discount - but with a match of the Costco price.

The main takeaway for you - be aware of the tire rotation restriction for directional tires like the CC2 and that the default will be just front/back rotations unless you're willing to spend extra for the remount process each time.

Hopefully the alignment took care of the uneven wear issues but the uneven wear could also be caused by worn or damaged steering components like bushings, but hopefully Acura inspected for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts