Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what the RX 300 will look like when it comes out in the spring of 2003 as a 2004 model. According to reliable sources, it will sport a 3.3 liter V6 producing in the range of 240-250bhp.......AND YES!!!!!! it will have luxury features galore. Lexus insiders also say (true to it's heritage) it will be strictly a 5-seater - YES YES YES!!! :) :) with not much of an increase in exterior dimensions (maybe a couple more inches in length)......However, because of increased efficiency in space utilization, it will be quite a bit more roomier on the inside (Yes, you get to have the cake and eat it :) :) ) This is most likely going to be my next vehicle (depending on final specs, of course) - and Lexus's answer to my prayers........Lexus probably heard me repeating the mantra over and over again SMALL is beautiful, SMALL is beautiful, SMALL is beautiful!!!!.....THANK YOU LEXUS!!!

One other thing.....since the new model will not have 7 seat capability, it will not be a "DIRECT" competitor to the MDX (maybe in price, but not the market segment - it's MAIN market segment will be single/small family people like me who desire a Luxury SUV, but something smaller with only a reasonably good amount of cargo space (no requirements to carry 8' by 4' plywood sheets on a daily basis) and the ability to take you off the beaten path. Of course, there is a possibility that the "small family" portion of this market segment might slightly overlap the market of the MDX, but then again people (especially urban dwellers) who treasure compactness, manuverability and nimbleness and that "fun-to-drive" factor that only small vehicles can give (anyone driven a BMW roadster lately???) over goads of cargo capacity would opt for the RX and those that absolutely must have cavernous interior space and the 7 seats combined with good performance and luxury would go the MDX route

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's another shot......

here's the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and here's the frontal view.......

here's the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
........AND REMEMBER.......

these are only spy shots, but I will bet the ranch the production version will be very similar to this one, except for small cosmetic differences

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the original spy shot.....

......taken some time back. The ones above are more recent.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Looks terrible

I thought it would look a little better, but don't like at all!!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Looks like they hired people from the Aztek design team.

If that's what they've done to what IMO was a very attractive design...well...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The added power is a good thing. but if I didn't want the extra seating or cargo space, I would just as soon be tooling around in a Lexus sport sedan, like the "I".

The line of the fenders is exaggerated. In fact if you just look at the rear, it almost looks like someone squatting down....doing the devil knows what!!! well, maybe getting ready to pounce.

If this was designed by one of the art centers in California, I would be too embarrased to admit it.

The front is the only part that looks presentable. The rear of the Pilot, X , or the Highlander, looks much better. I hope they don't screw up the Highlander now, for Toyota's sake.

I don't mean to sound so critical, I would just have expected so much more from Lexus. In fact the more RX300's I see, the more I dislike the looks, but really thought Lexus would have it together this time!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
revamped??

For an "SUV" that is considered TOTALLY revamped...you think these freakin Lexus designers would get RID of those HIDEOUS side mirrors! COME ON MAN!!! How hard can it be to redesign that out of date SQUARE mirror to even the flow of the lines of the vehicle?

The front looks like a prototype of the earlier Saturn. The rear looks like an Aztec with Honda/Volvo CRV lights. The Fender flares look like it was ripped off from the late Saturn SUV. The wheels look like it is just like the old ones on steroids. The mirrors...well I said it above.

Eeeewww....Remember what I said bout conformity of vehicles in my last post?? Lexus has to be the WORST...They just DONT get it. Look at the latest GX470 and this lates RX300??? I dont see a relationship here...Hmmm...Anyway..

I will stick to my almost ONE YEAR old MDX...FOR A LONG WHILE.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like it!

It kind of reminds me of one of my favorite older model cars...

But the Lexus has more horses under the hood and can seat more than two. And I understand it won't tip over when a large platter of ribs is attached to the side.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The D-pillar (is that what it's called, the last one) is way too big. Why not make more room for more sunlight?

I've already had two friends with RX300s telling me, how their next car is going to be an MDX. One comment made was, "The RX300 only fits 4 comfortably, and there is hardly any cargo room." The other comment from the guy who has the RX300 and just bought an Odyssey, "I should have just gotten the MDX to replace both."

·
Registered
153 Posts
C'mon Vic!!!

Vic,
Is it gonna be GX470 or the RX300? Sorry, but the RX is just AAWWWWFUL!!! Please don't tell us you're going to buy this AZTEC/CRV/Hyundai hybrid...:eek: Stick to the GX. Or better yet, an MDX???

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Sorry everyone ... I sorta like the look. If the MDX didn't exist, the Lexus is the one that I would buy [heck, even with the MDX, almost bought the Lexus].

IMHO, Lexus is the vehicle that motivated Acura to do it right [Lexus proved that a real good market existed]. They have made a good vehicle in the past and I suspect that they will continue to do so [hope they fixed that engine sludge problem].

·
Registered
619 Posts
hey vic, which auto show did u get those pics from?

the front does have some resemblence to the present Rx. However, why did lexus reduce the usable trunk use with that sloping hatch?

i hate to say it, but it does remind me of the aztek

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: C'mon Vic!!!

NaNaLi said:
Vic,
Is it gonna be GX470 or the RX300? Sorry, but the RX is just AAWWWWFUL!!! Please don't tell us you're going to buy this AZTEC/CRV/Hyundai hybrid...:eek: Stick to the GX. Or better yet, an MDX???
Now that I've looked it over and over a few times I do kinda think the rear looks odd (the front and side views look good to me)...........well, the only reason I was considering this over the GX was GAS MILEAGE.....especially, considering the uncertainty of fuel prices in the future........and the fact that it's more suited to a single person (and, of course, did I mention for the millionth time :rolleyes: that I do have a certain obsession for COMPACTNESS (makes it more personal and cozy)........but now that I think about it more and more and analyze and over-analyze, I might just stick with the GX....WHAT THE HECK, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE........but I'm sure I'll get some nasty comments when people come to know that I'm a 28-year old single person driving all by myself in a 4600lb V8 SUV giving 14 or 15 mpg and drinking premium fuel ;) ....but what can I do, there aren't any other choices out there that provide the combination of LUXURY and 4WD OFF-HIGHWAY capability in a smaller, fuel-efficient, V6-powered package..........well, might consider the MDX depending on what "enticing stuff" they have for 2003 (that rumored 270-280bhp engine just might do it)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
28-year old single person...

That explains the "obsesiveness" with "compactness" :) Just wait til you're married (assuming you plan to) and have kids, and you'll understand exactly why most of us love the "cavernous" interior of the MDX.

Why not try the Avant, or the A6 version of it?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Vic,

I think the GX is a great lookin' car :)

I sure hope the RX gets some sigificant tweaking before production. I noticed the folks @ ClubLexus weren't particularly thrilled w/the look either (I hang on their GS board but visited the RX board to see what they had to say :))

·
Registered
928 Posts

Here is the image of Toyota Concept Coupe Crossover (ccX). See anything similar to vic's future RX? I really hope that this design gets forgotten... really bleak and boring - i don't care if it has 1000 hp and a slalom speeds of 200 mph. Hey, Worm, your comment was EXACTLY what my mind has registered when I saw the pic - IT"S AN AZTEC/RX

1 - 20 of 48 Posts