Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So, I am thinking of a new Project for about a year now and adding things to the project idea.
Let me start with I like my MDX as it is right now. After seeing 2016 SEMA show with Lowered MDX cool graphics black wheels and the A-Spec model recently my Project idea got a lot of fuel and am thinking of this project every day now.
I have some pick of 2016 SEMA show Lowered MDX and A-Spec model. Check them out
I wanted to change the looks of my 2017 MDX ADV&ENT to look like combination of 2016 SEMA MDX and A-Spec MDX.
These things are in my mind. Numbered below per complexity in terms of work (1-Low complexity 10 High Complexity).

1) Smoke head and tail lights.
2) Vinyl wrap all chrome trim. (Choice of color - Matte Black (I like) or Gloss Black (I think this will
match the paint better)).
3) Vinyl wrap Wheels. Now usually Vinyl wrapping wheels is a very complex project but looking at the
advance MDX wheels covering chrome part is not very difficult.
4) Changing the exhaust for a better sound. Nothing crazy to wake up the neighbors. But something
settle. Has anyone done this on 3rd gen MDX. Love so hear the sound. Please share if anyone has.
Cost?
5) Lower the MDX. Not sure how feasible and or practice this is. Considering I don't take my MDX off
road. Also, Not sure How much this is going to cost?

This is it for now.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
All of those mods just ruin/cheapen the vehicle, imo.

#1 may even be illegal, depending on your jurisdiction.

#4 is a bad idea, unless you also disable VCM. Even then, there is more engineering in the OEM exhaust than most people give credit.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since you asked...

I wouldn't do any of those. They'd likely reduce the functionality of the vehicle (lowering - it's already low enough, and the MDX isn't an off-road vehicle to begin with - and this could also adversely affect handling), impact lighting, which otherwise is excellent on the MDX, and would limit the overall appeal of the vehicle to only people 'in this market segment' (a significant factor) with similar tastes. Some of the mods could be illegal in the state you're in. On top of this, there'd likely be quite a high cost to do all or many of the items and it's a cost that would never be recouped on resale. In fact, the resale value might well be less than an unmodified MDX unless there are a lot of buyers who truly like the mods.

But the appeal of any of these mods is subjective so the fact that they don't appeal to me doesn't mean much - I'm just providing one anecdotal viewpoint since you asked. People spend extra money on items for vehicles all the time that if I had the vehicle I'd remove and give or throw away - i.e. are worth nothing at all to me and actually detract.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of those mods just ruin/cheapen the vehicle, imo.

#1 may even be illegal, depending on your jurisdiction.

#4 is a bad idea, unless you also disable VCM. Even then, there is more engineering in the OEM exhaust than most people give credit.

I have seen cars in my city with smoked lights... Never thought they would be illegal... Will definitely research on that.
I am not a technical guy, good to know that exhaust modification will mess up the car.... Will research more on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why would you want to degrade a perfectly functional SUV? This isn't a Honda Civic. I am sorry but I just don't get people who intentionally diminish capabilities of their otherwise specifically designed vehicle. Do what you want, it's your money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd say do it all! Make the car your own and spend the money as you please. I'm a new owner of a 2018 Sport Hyrbid and I'm looking to mod it as well. I have pilot super sports on the way and plan to look into a custom exhaust system that's isn't crazy loud but a improvement from what I have now.

Seems like majority of the 3rd gen owners in here like to keep their cars stock so do as you please OP. Ill be posting more personal reviews about my upgrades soon.

My back ground is Honda and I purchased the MDX because I have kid on the way and wanted a little fun all at the same time. My other option was a $60k Lexus RX F (boring). Doesn't hurt to mod a family car so I'm with you

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you're going to do all that, perhaps you can skip the lowering of spring. You already have the sports mode for performance and handling. just my 2 cents, and it's your money.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you want to degrade a perfectly functional SUV? This isn't a Honda Civic. I am sorry but I just don't get people who intentionally diminish capabilities of their otherwise specifically designed vehicle. Do what you want, it's your money.

lol...easy easy....just getting some opinions on my thoughts. Like I mentioned I like my MDX as it is. Nevertheless thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're going to do all that, perhaps you can skip the lowering of spring. You already have the sports mode for performance and handling. just my 2 cents, and it's your money.

Thank you. Actually thinking of dropping exhaust mod and lowering the car. Vinyl wrapping is still cooking in my mind.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thank you. Actually thinking of dropping exhaust mod and lowering the car. Vinyl wrapping is still cooking in my mind.
If you want to spend a lot of money to drive something that looks cheap, just buy a cheap car and send me the extra cash >:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Vinyl wrapping is still cooking in my mind.
Blacking out chrome is pretty benign cosmetically. Is it is reversible for resale down the road, or if it starts bubbling up, peeling off, or otherwise looking ratty?

I think blacking out the wheels with vinyl is asking for trouble, but if you really want to spend money there are OEM dark wheels available.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I would do any mods you want. I did a lot of mods on my Acura along with the standard tint, clear bra, and all weather mats:
06 TSX: A-spec suspension, progress RSB, fastline endlinks, front/rear camber kit, racing pedals, LED light kit
08 RDX: Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, Progress RSB, Eibach lowering springs, KYB shocks/struts, OSRAM HIDs, hondata heatshield gasket, racing pedals, LED light kit
11 MDX: 20" rim/wheel combo, Racing brake slotted/vented brakes, carbotech 1521 brakes, OSRAM HIDs, steel braided brake lines, LED light kit, racing pedals

Aftermarket mods have pretty much dried up with the current gen of Acura vehicles. I don't blame you for wanting something just a little bit different from the 99.9% of the other MDXs on the road.

Reactions: 17X

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Do what you want. This community is very mod adverse and the mdx is more of a buy it ready to go kind of vehicle. Just remember that Hondas and exhausts usually mean raspy ugly noise.

Smoked lights are enforceable but rarely do until they pull you over for something bigger. Insurance wise if you cause an accident from going too dark you can be blamed.

For suspension drop, the Acura folks might have used the MR coilovers or.. forgot the other brand..

Vinyl over chrome is pretty common, especially on white vehicles. Definitely gives it that a spec vibes. Just get a good quality vinyl and it should last a while.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get one of these. See joke photo below.

Actually, what is your goal for this car? Do you want to impress guys or women or both? It has been my experience that women aren't very impressed by custom car stuff but maybe that is just the women that are more my style.

Some guys are impressed with fancy car stuff but why do you want to impress guys?

If you don't need the clearance, why did you buy an MDX? I'd think there would be a better car for you.

I like my MDX for snow and towing and rocky fire roads but I'm probably going to buy a sedan for everyday driving. That is where I am coming from but different strokes for different folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want to spend a lot of money to drive something that looks cheap, just buy a cheap car and send me the extra cash >:)

QUOTE=p07r0457;1443001]If you want to spend a lot of money to drive something that looks cheap[/QUOTE]

Have you even seen cars with matte black vinyl warp?? Just google “Matte Black vinyl wrap cars”. It’s obvious that you have not. Do yourself a favor google it.

QUOTE=p07r0457;1443001]just buy a cheap car and send me the extra cash >:)[/QUOTE]

Nope ;-)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
17X said:
Have you even seen cars with matte black vinyl warp?? Just google “Matte Black vinyl wrap cars”. It’s obvious that you have not. Do yourself a favor google it.
Ghetto-hideous.

Vinyl wraps are for commercial vehicles and advertising.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blacking out chrome is pretty benign cosmetically. Is it is reversible for resale down the road, or if it starts bubbling up, peeling off, or otherwise looking ratty?

I think blacking out the wheels with vinyl is asking for trouble, but if you really want to spend money there are OEM dark wheels available.

Yes blacking out the chrome using vinyl wrap is totally reversable. The whole point of vinyl wrap is everything is reversable when vinyl wraped.

Also #1, #2 and #3 can be done in less then may be $100 if doing my self. A professional shop may charge me $500 - &1000. Not planning to take the car to a professional shop. OEM black wheels are about $1500.

Bubbling up is the biggest cons with vinyl wrap. Also cannot take the car through car wash or cannot use pressure wash which I never do anyways. I only hand wash my car and detail myself. Mostly because I enjoy doing it :).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would do any mods you want. I did a lot of mods on my Acura along with the standard tint, clear bra, and all weather mats:
06 TSX: A-spec suspension, progress RSB, fastline endlinks, front/rear camber kit, racing pedals, LED light kit
08 RDX: Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, Progress RSB, Eibach lowering springs, KYB shocks/struts, OSRAM HIDs, hondata heatshield gasket, racing pedals, LED light kit
11 MDX: 20" rim/wheel combo, Racing brake slotted/vented brakes, carbotech 1521 brakes, OSRAM HIDs, steel braided brake lines, LED light kit, racing pedals

Aftermarket mods have pretty much dried up with the current gen of Acura vehicles. I don't blame you for wanting something just a little bit different from the 99.9% of the other MDXs on the road.

Thumbs up for all your mods man.
One of the guy replied changing the exhaust should come with changes VCM. What are you thoughts on that? How is it going to effect my MDX?
Thank you for the response.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts