Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introduction
Details are finally firming up on the Porsche SUV Cayenne. Two models are planned: Cayenne S (340hp) and Cayenne Turbo (450hp). Porsche claims 0-100km/h in 5.6s for the Turbo model, with the ability to tow 7716 lbs.

2003 Porsche Cayenne

General
Specified Configuration: Cayenne Turbo
Vehicle Type: 4-door SUV
Driven Wheels: AWD
Assy. Point: Leipzig, Germany
Engine
Layout: Front-engined
Disp./Cylinders: 4.5 Liter V-8
[email protected]: 450
Torque (lb.-ft.)@RPM: 457
Transmission
Type: Manumatic
# Ratios: 6-speed
Vehicle Dimensions
Height (in.): 66.9
Length (in.): 188.43
Wheelbase (in.): 112.4
Width (in.): 75.9
Performance(Mfg.)
0-60 mph (sec.): 5.6 (0-62mph)

2003 Porsche Cayenne
General

First year production is 25000 with 70% being earmarked for export.
Two models will be offered: Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo.
The Cayenne will be built in a new factory in Leipzig, Germany. Styling

Cayenne Turbo sports additional inlets and 4 tailpipes to distinguish it from the S model.Engine

Cayenne S will be powered by a normally-aspirated 4.5-liter V-8 producing 340hp and 310 lb-ft of torque.
Cayenne Turbo is powered by a 4.5-liter, twin-turbocharged V-8 producing 450hp and 457 lb-ft of torque.Chassis

Permanent all-wheel drivePerformance

Towing capacity of 7716 lbs.
Porsche claims 0-100km/h in 7.2s for Cayenne S
Porsche claims 0-100km/h in 5.6s for Cayenne TurboHandling

Porsche Stability Management

:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another pic

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another pic

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
One word for this SUV.

WEIRD!

I cant get over how it just looks strange. I see boxter all over it, it just hard to place it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paul123

You didn't mention how much all this horsepower and German ingenuity costs. I think waaay above the $50,000 mark. I wonder if it will have any of the initial problems that MB had with its ML line of SUVs. Time will tell. I don't think I will trade in my MDX on this new Porsche.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Porsche should be embarassed to put their badge on that abomination. That has got to be one of the ugliest creations since the Aztek.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only thing I like about the styling are the wheels :rolleyes:

The MDX looks much better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Photos don't do it justice.

The Cayenne looks MUCH better in person than it does in photos. However, it does seem like the designers kind of "gave up" when they got to the rear-end. From the C-pillar back the Cayenne's butt does not look like it's on the same vehicle as the front.
Price-wise, the Cayenne is aimed clearly at the BMW X-5 and Range Rover, not the MDX. Porsche should be able to sell 25,000 a year without any problem. As a long-time Porsche owner (and participant on Porsche boards similar to this one), I can tell you there are a lot of Porsche folks who can't wait to add a performance SUV to their garage. (There are just as many Porschefiles who think the Cayenne is an corporate abomination...go figure.)
Acura sales should not even ripple as the Cayenne enters the marketplace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
take a look at this:

Here's what the lastest issue of Road & Track (May 2002) says about it:

Porche has finally unveiled its Cayenne, a wagonlike SUV that's about the same size as a lowered Acura MDX and goes on sale in "the last half" of 2002. Whatever your thoughts on its design, Porche says the Cayenne blends "outstanding" on-pavement manners with "very good" off-pavement characteristics. To that end, Porche fits the Cayenne Turbo with a twin-turbo 4.5 liter V-8 that puts out 450 bhp and 457 lb-ft. of torque, whereas the S model gets by with a normally aspirated 4.5 liter V-8 that produces 350 bhp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque. Other Cayenne vitals include a 6-speed Tiptronic gearbox, full time all wheel drive (with low-range gearing and a lockable center diff) and PSM stability control. Production takes place at a new factory in Leipzig, Germany, which can build 25,000 Cayennes per year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, but what do they REALLY think?

The May edition of Automobile Magazine calls the Porsche Cayenne "perplexingly hideous." So much for those full-page Porsche ads...ouch! :eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this... just remember, I do own an MDX.

Porsche should have never made that SUV. Historically, Porsche has always been a sports car manufacturer and a damn good one too. I just can't understand why they would betray their reputable lineage by making that hideous looking thing. Yes, it is fast but that does not make it a sports car. You just can't expect a car (or more like truck) that size and weight to handle very well. I'm kind of a purist in that way, but one of the main reasons why I've love Porsches are that they are great sports cars with a history behind them. I just hope that this new suv doesn't ruin their lineage.

·
Registered
619 Posts
MaD-X said:
one of the main reasons why I've love Porsches are that they are great sports cars with a history behind them. I just hope that this new suv doesn't ruin their lineage.
AMEN!!

btw, me like your taste in cars.:D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
MaD-X said:
Porsche should have never made that SUV. Historically, Porsche has always been a sports car manufacturer and a damn good one too. I just can't understand why they would betray their reputable lineage by making that hideous looking thing. Yes, it is fast but that does not make it a sports car. You just can't expect a car (or more like truck) that size and weight to handle very well. I'm kind of a purist in that way, but one of the main reasons why I've love Porsches are that they are great sports cars with a history behind them. I just hope that this new suv doesn't ruin their lineage.
I am with you 100%.

I can also 'splain (with near certainty) 'xactly why they'd do such STOOOPID thing ---

It's the 'anti-minivan thingy', as in "MAN OH MAN, I'D rather have my nasty bits gnawed on by hungry piranah then drive a GOD FORSAKEN MINIVAN".

The "flipside" of this the "MUEY MACHO" vehicle -- and what could POSSIBLY be TOUGHER than a FRIGGIN' 450 HP V-8 TRUCK!Makes <a href="http://www.geocities.com/danielmacmillan/kustom/porsche.htm">dying in your highly modified Porsche</a> seem downright limp wristed. The whole homo-erotic aspect of this creeps my out almost as much as the<a href="http://members.aol.com/TheEm1/Dateline.html"> "bathtub scene in</a> <a href="http://www.geocities.com/wuggles_the_evil_sheep/lurve.html">Talened Mr. Ripley"</a> (which stole the creep-out honors from<a href="http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/nitpicks/6699.html"> Spartacus "oysters or clams"</a> scene SHUDDER! eeeeeyyyyyhhhhhkkkk)

·
Registered
63 Posts
MaD-X said:
... I just can't understand why they would betray their reputable lineage by making that hideous looking thing. ...
it's all about money... in SUV crazy america, if they sell 20k of those things, i bet their stockholders will be happy. what's the sales figures for the rest of the porsches? the boxster (which many real porsche owners poopoo-ed as being a wannabee or watered down porsche) is probably their best seller... w/out a couple of cars that they can sell in decent numbers, porsche may not last.

btw, i don't like the cayenne.

·
Registered
242 Posts
what about the Carrera GT?

This supposed to be the super Porsche 2-seater convertible to be priced ~$300-500k (all sold, sorry). There really aren't very many car companies out there that could make such a thing (and sell it for 1/2 million). This, to me, is clearly not about money (assuming that Porsche will not likely make a lot of money from selling few hundred of these). It's about tradition, the way real sports cars were meant to be built. There's something about these cars that make one's heart pound with excitement, even though you know it is highly unlikely that you'll ever get to own a car like that (or GT40, Porsche GT2, upcoming F60 to name a few). My point is that if Porsche is going to keep its reputation as a world class sport car company, then they should by not building a SUV no matter how much market share or money is involved. Can you imagine companies like Lotus, Saleen, or Ferrari building a station-wagon or suv? I can't. Sorry to blabber on like this (especially on an MDX forum :D) but I feel pretty strongly about these things because cars are important part of my life. I know, they're just cars and I don't obsess over them, but if you didn't like cars yourself, you wouldn't be reading this too.:cool:

Anyway, just remember, I do have a suv and damn good one too! No offense intended, just my opinions.

MDXluvr "btw, me like your taste in cars" - thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Trying to stay independent.

Even though Porsche enjoys the absolute highest profit-per-unit of any auto manufacturer, they need to sell more cars to keep from pricing themselves out of existence. As costs go up, Porsche prices go up. So, every once in a while, to create more business (customers), they have to introduce a new model to the lineup, which they hope will be a big hit.
The last time they did this was in 1996 with the Boxster. Now, 50% of all Porsches sold are Boxsters. It was a hit...a really big hit.
What's the top-selling segment in America today? Trucks and SUVs. So, for Porsche to introduce an amazingly over-powered SUV for rich folks actually makes sense - and might just be another hit. (You can bet they've got BMW's attention.)
Porsche purists may hate it, but they really ought to hope the Cayenne succeeds. If it doesn't, Porsche could wind up as a subsidiary of GM, Ford, or worse. Can you imagine what kind of cars Porsche would be introducing then?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Porsche Should build the SUV

Leader(inLA) had a good response. If you look at demographics the babyboomers are in control. They are buying SUV's Porsche is extremely smart to enter this market. Sure it will piss off porsche fans, like many members of PCA, (Porsche Club of America), which BTW, don't buy new porsches anyway in any great numbers.

Plus Porsche is only building 25,000 of them. They will ALL be sold in RECORD time. They can make more but are restricting the "intake" of the market to make them even more sought after. Yeah they left the racing scene that so many P-car owners loved them to be in but they will be back and probably with the Cayenne doing the off road thing. Plus they are building the Carrerra GT, awesome car and i bet they will race it successfully. I understand the Leipseg (sp?) plant is like Epcot center. Huge and contains its own test track and off road course. (A real estate feat in land poor Europe!) Evidently there is much room for expansion. Rumor from a Porsche dealer friend of mine is that a totally new porsche is in the works. An auto to show case the awesome V8 porsche has developed, (not just for the Cayenne). Prob along the lines of the old 928, a front engine V8 of some kind. I think they are on the right track. Pricing will not be competative with the MDX, that is probably obvious and the the MDX will do things the Pcar won't and vice versa.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: Porsche Should build the SUV

I agree that porsche should be independent. porsche knows that it can easily sell 25,000 SUVs a year and make a huge profit from it. But, why didn't porsche first make a sports coupe(clk 430) or sports sedan(m5) before they start making SUV's. That to me would be a proper extension of their lineup.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Tahoe4wd
Sure it will piss off porsche fans, like many members of PCA, (Porsche Club of America[/QUOTE]

PCA is a joke. when the water cooled 911 came out, die hard PCA members weren't too receptive of their new members. they also didn't want boxster owners in their club. therefore, porsche is asking pca members to be nice to the cayenne owners(this i heard on the boxster web site). they are considering offering free pca membership to cayenne buyers!

as much as i luv porsches, IMHO Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's vision of a sports car has been watered down by his son, and by subsequent CEOs of the company.

aside: I was watching a supercar show on t.v. the owner of Callaway racing-Reeves Callaway said something that fascinated me. He said that the great sporst cars in history have one thing in common. They are the vision of a single man(not a team). he went on give examples of the Ferrari gto, Bugatti, etc. etc. i agree 100%. the vision of Mr. Soichiro Honda, or Sir William Lyons(jag), or Mr. Enzo Ferrari are long gone. sad but true.

ok, ok i am getting off the soap-box. sorry to depress u guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
watch for new Porsche models

Porsche had considered then rejected a 4 dr Porsche. But now that the SUV is on the scene and a ton of development money in the V8 I bet there will be some interesting P-car models coming.

RE: the Cayenne. A Porsche dealer friend told me that he set up a purchase of the ML430, BMW X5 and an MDX for Porsche to compare against last year. According to him, Porsche was most impressed with the MDX! He says even now in his opinion the MDX is far better than the Merc and the Bimmer in overall considerations of use of the car. (e.g. BMW might handle better but is too small and rides rough--Merc is just plain ugly).

Imagine if Acura puts a V8 in the MDX!!! They have an upgrade path that will be very competative!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts