Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Acura MDX with about 184,000 miles on it. I guess I'm the third owner. So far, I like the car a lot. It reminds me a lot of a past car, a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser, hence my handle. It has a sunroof, a powerful engine, a lot of room, and it burns a hell of a lot of gas. That said, I enjoy pushing this car to high speeds on the highway as well as moving around town. The Acura is a very composed and quiet vehicle.

All that said, I still can't get rid of a shimmy that occurs at 65+ mph. The shimmy is accompanied by an annoying rattle inside the car. I don't know what is causing it as I just bought brand new tires (as the originals were badly worn.)

If you all have any ideas, let me know. I just had the car aligned and they presumably looked at the suspension bits, but may have missed something.

I'm glad to join the group and contribute to the content.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Tie rod ends, control arm bushings, ball joints, loose steering rack, wheel bearing, CV axle, or it could be an out-of-round tire (might balance OK on the machine, but it's gonna shake at speed). A bad front shock can also contribute to a shimmy, and can rattle. When I got my 160,000 mile '04, I replaced the control arms (which included the bushings and ball joints) and the tie rod ends, just because I could tell that the front end wasn't as tight as a new car... it was still fine by "normal standards" but I figured if I keep the car long enough I'd end up replacing all that anyway, so I might as well enjoy a "new, tight front end" the whole time I own the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was the shake there before new tires, i had same issue on another car after replacing tires. Had shop recheck balance and it was off. Rebalance fixed issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts