Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the windows down the other day when I pulled into my driveway (moderate incline) and heard an odd clicking sound when I slowly accelerated. Once I got into the garage and put it in neutral the noise wasn't there. I put it back in drive and foot on brake, slight press on gas and it was back. With the windows up, can't hear it inside the vehicle.

I did have the timing belt tsb done less than 2000 miles ago so my first thought was that it could be related. Took it to dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad a/c condenser fan which was replaced under warranty.

Picked up the car, got back home and exact same noise. Back to dealer and this time the repair order says tech can hear the noise. Removed the serpentine belt, noise went away. Per the tech, checked their database for a fix and found another dealer replaced the timing belt tensioner for their customer but it did not fix the problem. Called Honda tech line and they are aware but no fix available.

I'm going to poke around when I get some time to see if something is loose.

Anyone else have this issue? What was the fix?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No definitely not the DI. Much deeper tone and is only audible when warm, car in gear and between roughly 700-1500 rpms. It doesn't seem that the clicking changes speed very much but it does get louder around 1000 rpm.

I poked around this afternoon above and under the car and can't find anything that is loose to cause the noise at that rpm. Annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow - I just listened to your video - there is definitely a noise there........not sure what it is, could it be an idler pulley. So the tech takes the serpentine belt off and it goes away - so then its definitely belt driven - they should be able to find the issue.

·
Registered
713 Posts
sounds like something touching the belt and getting kicked out of the way, plastic bag sucked into the engine bay, maybe a bad vane in a pump of some kind. That should be a 2 minute find for the Acura mechanic using a piece of hose or stethoscope. Stay away from a moving belt please, let Acura deal with it. If it is a pulley that would be a strange sound as there is no whir or squeal. I guess it could be a pulley bearing momentarily seizing but you'd thing the RPM would kick down at that moment too. Also sounds like their might be a little exhaust leak there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not being able to leave anything alone, I pulled the belt off to check for any odd feeling bearings with the tensioner, alternator and compressor. Everything felt smooth so then I tried moving each pulley laterally. Listen to the a/c compressor below -- this was moving up / down and left / right, not circular. Started the car with the belt off and it is quiet as can be.

The video is for the sound, I had to position the phone to capture the sound.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the follow up...good knowledge base information here. Sure sounded ugly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts