Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to the MDXER forum and thought this would be a good place to do some vehicle research. I'm considering buying a used MDX (probably 2012 - 2014 vintage) and will use the vehicle to tow a ski boat (approx. 4,000 - 4,500 lbs for the boat, trailer and gear). Would love to hear any recommendations and experiences that anyone has had.
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
First you will have to buy an MDX with SH-awd to haul over 3500lbs. FWD only tows to 3500lbs.

Second the MDX must have the ATF transmission cooler in order to be rated at 5000lbs. I could be wrong but I believe the ATF cooler was standard on 2nd Gen MDX but optional starting in 2014.

Third you are going to want brakes on your trailer. That means you will also need a brake controller if they are electric trailer brakes.

Finally you are talking tongue weight of 400-450lbs so you will probably be reducing the amount of cargo/passengers you are able to carry just because of the added weight on the hitch.

I trailer 2000lbs and you can't tell my 2015 MDX is hauling anything. I'm curious what others who tow 4500+ will say.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have trailered over 5k with my Ridgeline. Similar architecture as the Mdx. Like you I am hoping an Mdx can handle the same weight.

FYI, the Ridgeline towed the 5k with no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts