Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Happy to be a new owner and member here on the forum. We've just taken delivery of a 2016 MDX Tech :cool:

While I'm generally quite impressed with the vehicle and happy with our purchase, the dilemma of fitting our three child seats is proving to be a bit stressful.

I'm having trouble deciding the best configuration for our three child seats in the new MDX. We have one toddler seat (three point harness), and two boosters. Ideally, I would like to use one booster and the toddler seat side by side in the 2nd row, and put another booster in the third row. However, I am finding that the seats I currently have are too wide and will not allow the power sliding seat to work so that my other youngster can access the third row.

I'm not opposed to buying a slimmer toddler seat, or slimmer boosters....just want to know what works.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have my twins sit in the 3rd row with their boosters and my son's car seat in the 2nd row, in the seat behind the driver's side. My twins access their seats on the other side easily. That's my configuration. My 2 other kids who don't need boosters/car seats sit in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't have the same setup as you as I only have two kids, but I do have a convertible car seat installed in the middle position of the 2nd row. It is an older Britax Marathon. It fits in there snugly enough so that when I push the button for the sliding seat release, the passenger seat rubs against the car seat a little. The passenger seat can still move forward, but it needs a slight push.

I currently have the car seat secured with the seat belt, as I generally prefer seat belt installations. In my experience, using the seat belt to secure car seats helps me position the seat to utilize the space a tad bit better. I didn't closely check the location of the LATCH anchors in my MDX but I have a feeling that my car seat would completely interfere with the sliding function of the passenger seat if I installed it using the LATCH anchors.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd see if installing the toddler seat with the seat belt would give enough space for the sliding passenger seat. If it does, then you don't need to shell out money to replace a perfectly functioning car seat. Yes, installing car seats with the seat belt tends to be a bit more challenging, but if you're not removing and installing the toddler seat on a semi-regular basis I don't believe it should be an issue.

And if that doesn't work, there are a couple of car seats that are known for being somewhat narrow. The Diono Radian is one of the convertible car seats that's popular for being narrow. It's a little bit pricey and quite heavy, but it'll likely do the job. My eldest rides in a Graco High Back Turbo Booster. It might not be the narrowest booster on the market, but I'd say it's pretty close.

If you're looking for more information on car seats, I'd say to check out the forums on www.carseat.org . Here are a few links on that site that provide information and dimensions on popular car seats on the market.
Convertible Carseat Features - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Booster Carseat Features - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

If you find a solution that works for you, please post again and share it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

We've got 3 little ones and one on the way. We typically use our Odyssey - all 3 in the middle row but on occasion I've had them in the MDX. Two in high back boosters (3 and 5 year old), and the 15 month old in a rear facing 5 point. They fit all 3 across the middle with the LATCH attachments. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my twins sit in the 3rd row with their boosters and my son's car seat in the 2nd row, in the seat behind the driver's side. My twins access their seats on the other side easily. That's my configuration. My 2 other kids who don't need boosters/car seats sit in the 2nd row.
Whoa 5 kids in an MDX! :eek: Might be time for a suburban lol.

I've considered putting our twins (and have put them) in the third row together, but they're only 6 and sometimes need to be separated to keep from driving us nuts up front. ;)

Also, my wife would prefer to put the 2 year old in the middle of the second row, as opposed to behind the driver where she can be difficult to access.

What kind of boosters do you use in the third row that easily fits two?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the same setup as you as I only have two kids, but I do have a convertible car seat installed in the middle position of the 2nd row. It is an older Britax Marathon. It fits in there snugly enough so that when I push the button for the sliding seat release, the passenger seat rubs against the car seat a little. The passenger seat can still move forward, but it needs a slight push.

I currently have the car seat secured with the seat belt, as I generally prefer seat belt installations. In my experience, using the seat belt to secure car seats helps me position the seat to utilize the space a tad bit better. I didn't closely check the location of the LATCH anchors in my MDX but I have a feeling that my car seat would completely interfere with the sliding function of the passenger seat if I installed it using the LATCH anchors.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd see if installing the toddler seat with the seat belt would give enough space for the sliding passenger seat. If it does, then you don't need to shell out money to replace a perfectly functioning car seat. Yes, installing car seats with the seat belt tends to be a bit more challenging, but if you're not removing and installing the toddler seat on a semi-regular basis I don't believe it should be an issue.

And if that doesn't work, there are a couple of car seats that are known for being somewhat narrow. The Diono Radian is one of the convertible car seats that's popular for being narrow. It's a little bit pricey and quite heavy, but it'll likely do the job. My eldest rides in a Graco High Back Turbo Booster. It might not be the narrowest booster on the market, but I'd say it's pretty close.

If you're looking for more information on car seats, I'd say to check out the forums on www.carseat.org . Here are a few links on that site that provide information and dimensions on popular car seats on the market.
Convertible Carseat Features - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Booster Carseat Features - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

If you find a solution that works for you, please post again and share it.
Thank you, this is helpful information.

I have considered the Diono Radian....but want to take a look at it/install it in person to see how well it would fit in the second row.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Also, my wife would prefer to put the 2 year old in the middle of the second row, as opposed to behind the driver where she can be difficult to access
This reminds me of somebody I work with with twin boys. Said his wife loved their new SUV versus their sedan because she could easily reach back and slap them. Hope he was kidding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts