Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. New member, recently relocated from CA to Laughlin, NV here. We just purchased a blue 2009 MDX-SH AWD with 158k miles over in CA today. My wife has been bugging me to get an SUV and the stars aligned to get this one as her Christmas gift. A small used car dealer we've used for over 30 years just took it in and we were in a position to pay cash for it. Our long time mechanic went over it with a fine toothcomb and gave it two thumbs up. Only thing we need to add is a trans fluid cooler.

We're retired. Three kids, all adults, our 18 and 20 year olds living with us while they work on getting their college plans sorted out. Our primary car is a 2008 Toyota Prius Touring model with 163k miles on it we purchased used from the same dealer 60k miles ago. It's a great car and we take it all over the country to the tune of a 43 mpg average. We needed something we could haul visitors around in, though. We'll be getting a lot of family coming from out of state for visits and vacations. This MDX should be perfect for that.

Anyway, I have a lot of reading and research to bury myself in here. I'm sure I'll have questions shortly. I'll try to make sure they get posted in the right place.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the MDX! As you might expect, because the MDX is priced/positioned as a "luxury" car, the forum here is not as active with skilled DIY members as the Honda Pilot or Odyssey forums. Since I have an Odyssey I also participate in that forum and find that helpful because of the shared platform.

Reactions: srellim234

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and enjoy the MDX! As you might expect, because the MDX is priced/positioned as a "luxury" car, the forum here is not as active with skilled DIY members as the Honda Pilot or Odyssey forums. Since I have an Odyssey I also participate in that forum and find that helpful because of the shared platform.
Than you for both the welcome and the advice. I noticed this forum isn't nearly as active as the priuschat.com I belong to for our other car. The fact that the MDX is more luxury makes a lot of sense. A lot less of them on the road, too.

I don't do too much maintenance on my own cars but I do some. Two things I will need soon is a couple of new, programmed keys and a medium or heavy duty ATF cooler since it gets so hot out here in the summer. My regular mechanic in California said no problem putting in the cooler but he recommended going to a dealer for the keys.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the family!

I have an 11 MDX and they are ready to go for up to 5000lbs of towing. I live in New Mexico; but, traveled coast-to-coast. Zero issues in the southwest with temps +115 summer time temps in AZ (with roof box or cargo carrier). Doing the 3X ATF fluid exchange every 30,000 miles always worked for my Acura vehicles in the southwest. I had a little under 500,000 miles and zero trans issues between my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX on the AT with that fluid exchange method.

The only thing you need to watch out for on the 07-09 MDX is the transmission cooler lines are located inside the raidiator and they can leak and exchange fluids. Some folks just replace the radiator if original for preventive maintenance.

Reactions: srellim234

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good looking MDX. New on here as well. Just took a chance and purchased a silver 09' in Charlotte, NC with 182K last week. Engine sounded great, was very clean and well maintained. Disclosure: I like to tinker and take chances on good cars as I have a 2000 4runner with 308K that I bought at 250K 3 years ago because the engine sounded smooth and it shifted smoothly. When my stepson was done with it after HS, I took it over as a back up and still drive it to work 2-3 days per week. Timing belt and water pump on the MDX were done at 155K. Plan is to drive it for a few months, do some basic maintenance (oil, trans change, power steering, plugs, etc.) then turn it over to 16 year old for first ride. I like it so much though, I may trade up for a newer model and sell the 4runner. In fact, drained rear end diff fluid and replaced with Acura AWD lastnight. $28 and a 45 minute job. I do like to do my own basic repairs when I can. Will be interested to hear about your experience with your MDX as you test it out. I will share mine as i work through it over the next few months. Look forward to hearing more. Best to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was lucky. Mine came with 2 factory keys, but the batteries in them were dead were dead. Removing the tiny phillips head on one was a PITA, but it finally came free. Inserted new CR1616 batteries and both work fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts