Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - I purchased a 2017 Advance 2 weeks ago for family hauling duties, replacing a beloved 2008 Odyssey. The MDX joins the family with my daily driver, a '15 TLX V6 Tech. I haven't seen many posts about the '17s so I thought I would offer my impressions about some of the features on this particular model.

Auto Idle Stop: This feature engages only after the car is warmed up and when the driver pushes the brake pedal firmly at a stop light, shutting off the engine. Letting off the brake pedal restarts the engine, which can lead to a delay in getting going if you're not anticipating it. Also, after 30 seconds or so the engine restarts regardless to presumably keep from draining the battery.

ACC and LKAS - My TLX Tech only has LKAS so this is a new treat in driving. Although it normally does a great job following the flow of traffic, yesterday the ACC fully stopped the car at an intersection on its own, but then Auto Idle Stop kicked in. When the light turned green it didn't start accelerating on its own. Net-net, ACC is awesome for traffic that slows down and speeds up, but don't count on it to take over pedal duty for the driver.

LKAS it great but it's a little disconcerting having a mystery hand tugging at the steering wheel. It does a great job keeping the car centered in the lane, but this isn't always what I prefer around a gradual lane shift.

The electronic brake is made from the same switch gear as the one in my TLX, but it operates in reverse. In the TLX, it is positioned behind the transmission buttons and you pull it up to engage the parking brake. On the MDX, it's on the dash, and engages the brake by pushing it towards the dash. I suppose the thought is that a manual floor brake engages by pushing down on it with one's foot, but it seems distinctly backwards to me.

Auto brake: I haven't used this much in the MDX based on my experience with the TLX. I've had it more than once engage rather violently when trying to creep up slowly at an intersection.

Auto High Beam Headlights: Great feature, no complaints. The vehicle seems to do a good job in detecting oncoming traffic and switching them down to regular beams.

Remote Engine Start: I've only recently figured this out so I can't speak to its range yet, but it's fun to use. The odd thing though is once you enter the vehicle, the dash says to press the brake + Engine Start/Stop before driving. This action seems to stop the engine briefly, like the idle stop kicks in or something similar.

Surround view camera: I first saw this feature on a BMW 7 series. It's pretty awesome -- pressing the Camera button on the dash splits the view into a low forward angle -- helpful for identifying proximity to curbs -- and the other half is a "birds-eye view" of the vehicle. It's made backing out a breeze.

Ventilated seats: These are pretty cool in that they suck heat away rather than blow cool air. They also come on as a part of the Auto A/C setting. The only complaint is that the compressor/fan for them is rather loud. My wife couldn't figure out what was running at first after shutting off the A/C.

I haven't used the much-maligned navigation system much yet. After syncing over Bluetooth any functions go through Siri or Waze via my phone anyway.

Thoughts on accessories:
- The tri-fold cargo mat is rather disappointing. It doesn't have any means really to keep it in place, and the folded joints are just thinner sections of the molded plastic. I thought for an OEM accessory it would be better made.

- The cargo net was a sweat-inducing install (drilling through the carpet!) and it works fine, but the Mrs. doesn't like having to load larger items up and over it each time. Jury is still out if we keep it in place.

- The MDX all-weather mats are OK but after vacuuming for the first time today, I was disappointed with the amount of dirt and grass that found their way underneath the mats. (Side bar: Surprisingly the factory TLX mats are much thicker and seem to be more durable than the factory MDX mats.)

- The new Advance Running Boards are beautiful and perfectly integrated, as they replace the factory side sills with their own that come with the running boards themselves. The installation though is a little tricky though; I posted a write-up about the experience on another forum, but let me know if anyone wants me to post it over here.

Overall, it's an incredible vehicle with great detailing in the seats, wheels, bumpers, and grill. It drives well, with or without the electronic nannies.

Obligatory picture attached, taken at the conclusion of installing the running boards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great info from a fellow '17 owner. I also "had" a TLX but it was traded in for the MDX. A larger vehicle, yes, but a much better driving one too. My TLX had the tranny and vibration issues many owners have experienced.

Id like to add to your list of things I really like (my CDN version maybe be dif then the US ones)...

The walk-away auto locks.
20" wheels and tires.
Heated steering wheel (in the winter).
The LED fogs (useless, but they look great lol)
The power tilt steering wheel and auto seat retraction.
The navi may not be the greatest, but I really like the stereo otherwise.
Real wood and what I believe is real metal trim in the interior, the leather seats and coloured stitching.

Dislikes I have one that I cant figure out. The lower MIDI screen dims automatically no matter what I have set it too. My TLX nor my '16 RDX does this. Drives me nuts lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points as well. Here in Texas we haven't needed the heated steering wheel yet -- check back in November. :)

The lower MIDI went dark on me yesterday as I was messing around with Audio settings. It re-brightens when pressing the Navi button. I think it is meant to reduce confusion about which screen is active at the time when similar information is displayed on both screens.

Those wheels are very nice. They have more character than the US-based Advance but I would gladly take either design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@MTD, does yours have the heated windshield and light washers?

The US models don't have the headlight washers but apparently some models sneak through with the heated windshield.

I just picked up my 17 MDX Advanced this week and mine has the heated windsheild. The switch is down where the LDW and the CMBS are on the left side just above your knee. (I think it's the one on the lower right - of the six switches)

Not sure if you have tried it if you have it. Just wondering how effective it is. I'm sure I'll need to try it when winter comes and we get that layer of frost on the windshield.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup, I have it and the washers. Heated side mirrors and steering wheel too.

My TLX and my previous Genesis had the heated glass and it works great when the glass actually has ice/frost on it and/or when the wipers are stuck to the glass as it only heats up the lower inch or two of the glass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just upgraded a 2014 MDX to a 2017 - both Canadian Elite models. While most family and friends haven't even noticed that we changed vehicles, the '17 is much more refined than the '14. I loved the '14, but very happy with the upgrade. Below are a few of the differences that I thought worthy of mention:

- Love that the side mirrors automatically fold when the vehicle is locked (you had to manually press a button on the '14 before you turned the vehicle off).

- Love the auto lock feature.

- The range of the key fob is much improved. I can now start the vehicle from a much greater distance than with the '14, and without line of sight. The '14 wouldn't normally start if I was inside a building, even if I could see the vehicle.

- The additional USB ports are great.

- Happy that they moved the AC 110V outlet to inside the centre counsel rather than at the back of the centre counsel (in the second row). Heavy plugs used on many media players (such as WDTV) would slowly start to fall out due to the positioning.

- Also LOVE that the AC 110V is now powered when in accessory mode. We use it to run an external media play (WDTV) which is connected to the HDMI port. It can now continue to run while I refuel the car - whereas in the '14 model, it would turn off when the engine was cut.

- I like the new contrast stitching/piping. I thought it might look tacky, but it really is nice.

- I also like the new exterior styling. I wasn't a big fan when I first saw the new grill, but I now prefer it. I also like the new chrome detailing, etc. Exterior looks more polished than before.

Reactions: MTD

·
Registered
54 Posts
The lower MIDI went dark on me yesterday as I was messing around with Audio settings. It re-brightens when pressing the Navi button. I think it is meant to reduce confusion about which screen is active at the time when similar information is displayed on both screens.
Dislikes I have one that I cant figure out. The lower MIDI screen dims automatically no matter what I have set it too. My TLX nor my '16 RDX does this. Drives me nuts lol.
i just recently bought a 2015 mdx (apologize if some steps are wrong for the 2017) and that feature was driving me crazy, but i found a way to turn it off. on the MIDI screen there is a icon in the upper middle (music symbol), you click that and a sub menu pops up with a few options. click on screen settings. then there is a dim option on the 3rd page of options... you can put 30s, 60s, 120s or never.

i put mine on never and it never dims now! might have to do it for both "users" but it should work!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just upgraded a 2014 MDX to a 2017 - both Canadian Elite models. While most family and friends haven't even noticed that we changed vehicles, the '17 is much more refined than the '14. I loved the '14, but very happy with the upgrade. Below are a few of the differences that I thought worthy of mention:

- Love that the side mirrors automatically fold when the vehicle is locked (you had to manually press a button on the '14 before you turned the vehicle off).

- Love the auto lock feature.

- The range of the key fob is much improved. I can now start the vehicle from a much greater distance than with the '14, and without line of sight. The '14 wouldn't normally start if I was inside a building, even if I could see the vehicle.

- The additional USB ports are great.

- Happy that they moved the AC 110V outlet to inside the centre counsel rather than at the back of the centre counsel (in the second row). Heavy plugs used on many media players (such as WDTV) would slowly start to fall out due to the positioning.

- Also LOVE that the AC 110V is now powered when in accessory mode. We use it to run an external media play (WDTV) which is connected to the HDMI port. It can now continue to run while I refuel the car - whereas in the '14 model, it would turn off when the engine was cut.

- I like the new contrast stitching/piping. I thought it might look tacky, but it really is nice.

- I also like the new exterior styling. I wasn't a big fan when I first saw the new grill, but I now prefer it. I also like the new chrome detailing, etc. Exterior looks more polished than before.
I agree with most of your likes. One thing I wish is to show the DVD video at the front too, so not just the people at the back and watch it but the first row. ya i know, driver is not supposed to get distracted..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you purchase the running boards separately from the vehicle and do you know if those also fit a 2014 MDX? They look very sturdy.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
2014-2016 boards definitely fit on the 2017, so it is very likely 2017 boards will work as well. The installation is actually pretty identical to the 2014-2016 sport boards. You can buy them separately.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I went through the same issue weather to get technology or advance.
Since every mdx has safety features standard I went with tech instead of advance and got some accessories installed .
My view advance doesn't offer that many features for 6k .

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I agree with most of your likes. One thing I wish is to show the DVD video at the front too, so not just the people at the back and watch it but the first row. ya i know, driver is not supposed to get distracted..
Would you actually put your phone down to watch the DVD? Traffic deaths are actually up. Thanks to distractions and drunk driving. Cars are getting safer,yet more people are dying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with most of the comments. I traded my 09 tech/entertainment for a 2017 advance/entertainment.

Few observations.... May just be my getting used to it, but my 09 had a great ride. very secure/ stiff-ish feel I'm not getting with the '17. Even in sport mode. Also love the hood grill design. After my 09 I really didn't care for the grill. The redesigned exhaust ports are a vast improvement over the reflector setup previously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts