Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller here with an 04 MDX that has ~180k miles. I took my car to an independent Honda/Acura mechanic for any and all service since I bought it, but I'm trying to cut costs and am going to do most of the work myself from now on. I have quite a few questions, but I'd figure I ask them separately based on the topic. First order of business is what brand of oil and filter do you use? I know that the service manual says to use Honda 5W-20. However, I'm sure everyone else uses another brand. My thought is that as long as its API certified 5W-20 then it should work. I tend to choose Mobil products, so I was leaning towards Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage 5W-20 (full synthetic) or Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-20 (conventional). I did some research and I know this has been asked in the past, but the responses are a couple years old now. Also, based on those thread posts, it seems that there are various sizes of filters that fit (since Honda/Acura tried consolidating part numbers), is this true? Hopefully this doesn't turn into a synthetic vs conventional debate.

Also, I've used information provided in this forum quite a bit, so I hope to be able to contribute something at some point. Thanks.

-Rudy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts