Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to introduce myself. Only been a lurker here since Saturday :D.

Whoa....that happened fast. Last week I was deadset on getting an XC90 and today (well, yesterday to be precise) my wife and I are high-as-a-kite brand spanking new '03 MDX owners - touring silver w/ quartz interior, nav, res, woodgrain dash/steering wheel/shifter, running boards, trailer hitch (not installed yet), fender flares, lower trim, and tailgate deflector. What a spectacular vehicle!

I did a quick testdrive last week after work since I had previously been unable to evaluate the X (just not in inventory at dealers). I was pretty impressed so I dragged my wife and daughter back to the dealer. I figured we'd test drive it, and if we liked it go home and talk about it and then shop around and eventually place an order and then wait (like everyone seems to). Well, we showed up and they had this beautiful silver X with nav and res and more factory accessories than I really wanted. My wife takes it for a spin and just loves it so we drop it off and prepare to leave.

Well, on our way out we realized that we just drove almost the exact car we were looking for so we decided to just go for it :1:(we're talking majorly unprepared to negotiate hehe). I would have been happy with the silver or SBP (which I loved but wasn't sure would be so cool looking in 5years) but the wife said silver and its her car so there ya go.... So I go up and tell the dealer (who was a good man to deal with) that we wanted to know what he could do for us with the car has it currently was outfitted. I told him I wasn't pleased that it had a bunch of accessories I didn't want (my wife actually did want them after comparing this car to more 'un-trimmed' vehicles). So the dealer ends up saying he'd eat all his profit on the accessories if we'd take it and add in the tow-package so, after looking at the invoice from the service department, we decided we had a deal :2: . Woohoooo! I know I got ripped on the labor that goes into the installation of the accessories but without dealer profit they came to about 60% of list price so I was ok with that.

Why the X and the XC90? Well, they are both sweet SUVs and we liked the XC90 styling a little better but the X had really grown on me over the last couple months. The bottom line is the X was about $5k less equipped the way we wanted, we knew it had a track record of reliability, it felt bigger on the inside even though the listed specs say otherwise (I could swear...), and it was far more dog-friendly which my wife and I realized was important to us. Our pooch goes with us everywhere and the jump-in height for the XC90 is incredibly high and requires the canine to make a blind jump onto a slick surface. I wasn't sure he'd even try that jump and I couldn't envision my wife trying to lift our 120lb best friend into the back of the car :3: . Additionally, because Volvo choose to make the headrests snap forward instead of removing and storing them like the X, it forced them to leave massive gaps all over the cargo floor when the third seat is folded. Not good for a dog's legs at all.

Now I just gotta go break it to my Volvo dealer that I'm cancelling my order. Oh well...I'm an X convert and I plan to check out everything this forum/community has to offer.

Might try to post some pics when I get a chance. We're still in a bit of shock that we just bought this beaut. :eek:

Great forum! What a car! Alright - gonna try to stop hyperventilating now. :rolleyes:

OverTime

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Congrats and welcome to one of the best boards on the web!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
First welcome to the Forum!

Second, put down your location on your signature box...we have no idea where u are from :)

Yes, dealer installation is high. I did the same with the hitch/cooler kit.
But all my other Acura accessories have been purchased from www.hondacuraworld.com an excellent source with discounted prices. Installation instructions are also availabe to look at if you want to see if it's something you want to tackle yourself, and save more money for more goodies! Most of us go to Tim for the parts we love most.

Enjoy yourself!
:2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Overtime,

Welcome to the family. The MDX is a great car and when we picked up out truck a few weeks ago, we were in the same shock you were. When we first brought the MDX home, I would sit in every morning before I left for work (I know...:rolleyes: ). If I had the money, I would buy one for myself (the wife uses it as a baby and dog hauler).

Good luck and post some pics soon.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The great feeling of owning an MDX only diminishes a little with time -- after a few months, you'll stop thinking about sleeping in it overnight every night...

Congrats! Your story rocks. It's fun to recapture the buzz vicariously.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
OT. . . you're gonna love it. . .

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Welcome Overtime,
you won't regret your purchase . . . Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Welcome to our humble wesite and Best of Luck with the addition to the family!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
OverTime,
Excellent choice! We also decided on the MDX over the XC90. Welcome to the group! :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Welcome and Congrats~~~~

You are lucky to get the car you want in such quick period of time. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've updated my info a little bit - I live in Pleasant Hill, CA - few miles east of Oakland. I'll definitely be checking out hondacuraworld.com for supplies and I'll see if I can't get some pictures in the next few days....I'm a little tempted to wait for the towhitch before posting but I have to call the dealer to see when I can get that installed.

I did have a hard time sleeping last night - not sure if it was from the coolness of owning the X or the stress of just having dropped that much $$ :eek: . I feel incredibly fortunate to complete this purchase so quickly - its like it was meant to be.

Anyways, its my wife's car but I get it this week because she is away on business :). What a nice ride - its just comical to compare it to my 1996 4runner.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the coming days so bear with me :D .

OverTime

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard

As a lurker I am sure you have noticed that we like to have fun with the car and with each other - this really is the site for MDX ENTHUSIASTS:1:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Thanks all

OverTime said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've updated my info a little bit - I live in Pleasant Hill, CA - few miles east of Oakland. ...
Good. Another bay area owner. I look forward to meeting you at our next meet. :29: I went to elementary school in Pleasant Hill (on Gregory Lane). I'm sure your familliar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoa

Small world here I guess. I live right off Grayson and I believe my daughter (only 2 now) is zoned to go to that particular elementary school. :2:

I'll have to check out the section on X meets.

OverTime

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Whoa

OverTime said:
Small world here I guess. I live right off Grayson and I believe my daughter (only 2 now) is zoned to go to that particular elementary school. :2:

I'll have to check out the section on X meets.

OverTime
Small world indeed. Actually the school I attended was a private school. Pleasant Hill Academy. I highly recommend the school.

I believe the member that lives closest to you may the the illustrious "TheWorm", if I'm not mistaken...:4:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts