Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New MDX owner here, picked up a Graphite Luster Metallic 2014 Certified Pre-owned Advance with Tech/Entertainment this week from a local Acura dealer. Previously owned a 2008 KBP TL Type S for 4+ years but have decided to change it up a bit due to having a family and needing a bit more space/comfort.

I must say i think i came out pretty well on this car, still cant believe the price considering it is a Advance - Tech + Entertainment with 43k miles, CPO, clean carfax, OEM Runnings boards, side moldings, rear bumper protector, all weather mats. Dealer took it in on a trade and i was able to secure it for $27,466 before they even had the chance to publish on their site with pictures. I ended up selling my TL-S privately as we could not see eye to eye on the value but overall i must say i am happy with the purchase as the vehicle is mint and the closest price 14' MDX advance in my area is selling for 32,998 with 50k miles at Carmax.

So far i have ordered the OEM Acura sunshade and done some interior/exterior LED upgrades. Now trying to figure out which way to go for trunk tray - tri-fold vs the regular trunk tray ? i have read mixed reviews about the OEM tri-fold sliding around , has anyone used the Aries AC0061309 trifold , how does it compare?

Have attached some pics of the new and old:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
congrats!! we have almost the same car with the same mileage haha (2015 acura mdx advance with rear entertainment and extended warranty for $32k), so you def got a good deal! even funnier, i own a 2008 type s (my car) and my wife now drives the MDX. i'm sockr1 over on the acurazine forums if you were ever there (original owner of the type s). i love the KBP type s!

i also changed our MDX door lights and footwell lights out to leds (VLEDS) and it made a huge difference. i also bought the reverse lights and the trunk lights but i haven't put those ones in yet. which leds did you do for your doors (they look less "spotty" than the ones i have) and how easy was it to get to the reverse lights/trunk lights? i need to do that tomorrow, any tips?

regarding the trunk tray, i recently purchased the tri folding OEM one and we really like it. it's a perfect fit and i just put some velcro on the underside to keep it from sliding around. it's nice because we usually keep the third row down and the mat fully laid out, but there's been times where all of a sudden we need that third row and it's really easy to flip the mat where it lays to pull up the third row

i looked at the aftermarket one you linked and the only difference i see is that the oem one has seat belt cutouts and this allows the mat to cover more of the floor. the one you linked only has one initial "jog" and then continue straight, meaning it is narrower in width compared to the oem one. not only will it cover less floor but it may slide around a bit more. i think i got the oem for about the same price the aftermarket one is listed at, try talking to your local dealer and see if they'll price match oemacuraparts.com

enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats!! we have almost the same car with the same mileage haha (2015 acura mdx advance with rear entertainment and extended warranty for $32k), so you def got a good deal! even funnier, i own a 2008 type s (my car) and my wife now drives the MDX. i'm sockr1 over on the acurazine forums if you were ever there (original owner of the type s). i love the KBP type s!

i also changed our MDX door lights and footwell lights out to leds (VLEDS) and it made a huge difference. i also bought the reverse lights and the trunk lights but i haven't put those ones in yet. which leds did you do for your doors (they look less "spotty" than the ones i have) and how easy was it to get to the reverse lights/trunk lights? i need to do that tomorrow, any tips?

regarding the trunk tray, i recently purchased the tri folding OEM one and we really like it. it's a perfect fit and i just put some velcro on the underside to keep it from sliding around. it's nice because we usually keep the third row down and the mat fully laid out, but there's been times where all of a sudden we need that third row and it's really easy to flip the mat where it lays to pull up the third row

i looked at the aftermarket one you linked and the only difference i see is that the oem one has seat belt cutouts and this allows the mat to cover more of the floor. the one you linked only has one initial "jog" and then continue straight, meaning it is narrower in width compared to the oem one. not only will it cover less floor but it may slide around a bit more. i think i got the oem for about the same price the aftermarket one is listed at, try talking to your local dealer and see if they'll price match oemacuraparts.com

enjoy the ride!
Thanks for the warm welcome ! i was on the other site and did attend a few of the South Florida regional meet ups with my TL-S. My wifey is also driving the MDX and i have taken over her 08 tsx as i drive roughly 70 miles a day for my work commute. Wish i could have kept the type S but just didnt make sense.

The LEDs do make a world of a difference, i had a friend of mine who deals with automotive LED sales/installations take care of everything. Im not sure what exact make/specs they are, but it is the LED board type as opposed to bulbs. I used them in my TL-S for years and never had any issues with product quality. The reverse lights was very straight forward thankfully, there are 2 compartments on the inside of the tailgate, just remove and the rest is cake.

Regarding the trunk tray, i am leaning towards the OEM tri-fold and the price difference isnt very much from the aftermarket, my concern though is really just the fit of the OEM, dont want it sliding around. The Aries does have the seatbelt cutouts no sure if we were looking on the same one, ive attached a pic ...let me know what you think

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome ! i was on the other site and did attend a few of the South Florida regional meet ups with my TL-S. My wifey is also driving the MDX and i have taken over her 08 tsx as i drive roughly 70 miles a day for my work commute. Wish i could have kept the type S but just didnt make sense.

The LEDs do make a world of a difference, i had a friend of mine who deals with automotive LED sales/installations take care of everything. Im not sure what exact make/specs they are, but it is the LED board type as opposed to bulbs. I used them in my TL-S for years and never had any issues with product quality. The reverse lights was very straight forward thankfully, there are 2 compartments on the inside of the tailgate, just remove and the rest is cake.

Regarding the trunk tray, i am leaning towards the OEM tri-fold and the price difference isnt very much from the aftermarket, my concern though is really just the fit of the OEM, dont want it sliding around. The Aries does have the seatbelt cutouts no sure if we were looking on the same one, ive attached a pic ...let me know what you think
yea that makes sense the way you did it for cars...i tend to find a lot of MDX owners have or used to have a TL...guess we like the best bang for our buck haha

oh ok, the boards do make a better distribution of output and you can pretty much use any board for those applications. i'll do that next time these vleds run out. thanks for the tip about the reverse lights i know which compartments you're talking about. did you also change out the light that shine down when the hatch is open? i feel these are very dim and i'm looking forward to getting the new leds in there.

for some reason the links i saw on the aftermarket didn't have the seatbelt cutouts that you showed, that one looks closer to oem. i would suggest just going oem for the same price. oem fits very well there's some slight sliding but like i mentioned just put down a few small velcro patches and you're good to go. i think any cargo mat brand will slide a little bit.

How easy it is to change the door well and footwell lights what place you used to order these lights .
it's pretty easy to change both of them. this link helped me: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/761153-post10.html

door lights: you take a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the light housing from the small side facing the front of the car. then you pull out the light and put in the new one, testing polarity to make sure it works. i like the "housing" with reflective material to get a less "spotty" output

footwell: just pop out the housing (driver side) or bulb (passenger side) and pop in the new one. even easier than the doors.

i buy all my leds from VLEDS, i feel they are the best quality and last longer than other company leds, but they can be expensive.

here are the bulbs you need:

Reverse Light: 7440_21_HO
http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=7440_21_HO

Footwell Light: 3022_6 (make sure you buy the "High Output" one, the long life one isn't very bright)
http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=3022_6

Door Panel Light: 194_6
http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=194_6

Trunk/Cargo Light: 194_6
http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=194_6

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confused, u got this for $27k with a trade in but then you decided to sell it privately and they still gave u the trade-in price??
Their sticker price was 31,995 and internet price was 27,466. Quite a big variance i know - 4.5K!! makes you wonder if they screwed up on the internet pricing.

I went to the dealer as a customer who was interested based on price posted on their website.

The value of my TL-S didnt have any impact on the negotiation of the price of the MDX as we were always working with 27,466.

Needless to say when they offered 4k for the TL-S i told them i rather use it to plant trees in than give it away for that. I sold the car in 24 hrs for more than double that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Their sticker price was 31,995 and internet price was 27,466. Quite a big variance i know - 4.5K!! makes you wonder if they screwed up on the internet pricing.

I went to the dealer as a customer who was interested based on price posted on their website.

The value of my TL-S didnt have any impact on the negotiation of the price of the MDX as we were always working with 27,466.

Needless to say when they offered 4k for the TL-S i told them i rather use it to plant trees in than give it away for that. I sold the car in 24 hrs for more than double that.
Wow, id say you got urself a steal. That was awesome deal. I got my 14 mdx adv ent w fogs, mud guards, all weather mats, runming boards, w 13k miles, for $39k last October. Sticker was 43k, they came down to 38.5k instantly and i had to haggle hard to include those options and a CPO and settled at 39k and change.

Great deal tho!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

The reason you got that price was because the person who traded it in took the low ball price. That gave the dealer a lot of room to play with. Good for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, id say you got urself a steal. That was awesome deal. I got my 14 mdx adv ent w fogs, mud guards, all weather mats, runming boards, w 13k miles, for $39k last October. Sticker was 43k, they came down to 38.5k instantly and i had to haggle hard to include those options and a CPO and settled at 39k and change.

Great deal tho!
Thanks Man, appreciate that...we have been enjoying it alot so far and plan to keep for a while. Sounds like you have yourself a nice one with very low miles! Any Pics? any idea how involved is it putting in those LED fogs, is any cutting of bumper required ? i would really like to get the fogs done in the near future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts