Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post and say Hi from West MI.

I just found this site. Haven't poked around much, but it looks like it's pretty active, so that's cool.

I've been looking for something to replace the truck I just sold with something that had three rows (4 kids) and was cheaper on gas and to get rid of a payment. Wasn't looking specifically for an MDX, but ran across, what I'm hoping turns out to be a good deal.

Found a 2002 that was a trade on something new. It has 195,000 miles on it and probably needs the timing belt done and several other neglected maintenance items including shocks and struts and tires and probably a new power steering pump (steering is quite stiff). Barely any rust, which is rare in MI on a vehicle this old. Anyway... it was originally listed for $6,990, but had sat on the lot for over one hundred days, so they had recently lowered the price to $3,990, which is when I saw it. I wanted to stay under $5,000 for my new purchase to save some cash. I took it to the shop and they picked it apart and I took it back and said I'd give them $2,500. They said no and showed me they gave $2,7something on trade and they needed to make some money, blablabla... I said i have $2,900 cash right now left over from my truck sale and they gave me the classic, "let me make a phone call." LOL I said I have to get back to work. Let me know if you can work out a deal. I got a text a couple hours later saying it was mine for $2,900 complete! They lost money on that deal for sure! I didn't think they'd go that low.

I'm sure it has a few issues, but so would anything in that price range. I'm hoping with a little love it will last a while. I love it so far! It's a little noisy and the steering is stiff and it needs a code so I can get the radio to work, but it rides nice and has good power and it's pretty clean. Really nice for a 2002! The AWD will be nice for the MI winters too!

Looking forward to checking out all the posts and learning about my new-to-me MDX!
Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ol' Man Blue,

I just joined and was about to do my introduction, when I saw your post. I also recently purchased an older ('04) MDX from the original owners with 190k miles. Have put on 10k miles in last 5 months. Really enjoying it! These things are made very, very well. Kind of expensive to repair, but man are they solid. This is only my second Acura - purchased one of the original Acura's, the '87 Legend, way back in 1990 and drove it like a bat out of hell for 10 years. Sold it with 160,000 and it would still chirp the tires shifting from 1st to 2nd on hard acceleration - the transmission was that good. That car was a great performer and with only a 2.5 liter V6 that would wind so sweet. But I digress. Loving this MDX a lot. But wanted to let you know that just 10 days ago I received a fairly urgent passenger's side AirBag recall notice, as did other owners of older MDX's. It is a free fix for the passenger side Airbag actuator. And the dealer in San Antonio just asked when I wanted to bring it in. They prioritized it. The notice strongly suggests not having anyone in the passenger's seat until it is fixed, as the actuator can come apart sending parts into the passenger through the bag. Just wanted to mention it as you may not have received the notice as a new owner. I will post more in my initial new Owner post. I'm thinking we will both have to do some of the same things to the vehicle, like maybe springs and/or struts. I am worried about the timing belt cost, or if I should attempt it myself, but I will search other forums for that info. Anyway, good luck with yours!
Lance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Lance! I'll have to look into the air bag recall.
I've had my MDX for a week now, but only drove it for one day. It's been in the shop getting a new battery and the timing belt and water pump done along with power steering and coolant flushes and transmission serviced and changing out all the driveline fluids. I work there in the mornings doing their bookkeeping so I get a discount on all my stuff, but my stuff gets pushed back if they get busy, which is what happened. Supposed to get it back today. They also want to do new exhaust, shocks and struts and new tires, but I'm hoping to get through the winter with what's on there now. I also need to fix the rear air, which sounds like a common issue and easy to fix so I might try that myself.
Hoping it will last another hundred thousand now!

·
Registered
419 Posts
For a dealer deal I'd say you did very well. What they gave for trade-in is irrelevant because what anyone owns anything for has nothing to do with what it is worth, but they also could easily have had $1,500 in it and inflated the trade number because they had extra mark up in the car they were selling. The only time anyone really knows what the paid or got for a car is when it is a straight single transaction. 30+ years in and around the business and even I can't tell what the real numbers are unless I can see the deal screen. Hope your X is a good one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts