Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...and thanks for being active in this community. Some of the information here was very helpful to me in determining a car to purchase.

I was one of the 'lucky' Volkswagen TDI owners who recently sold back a dirty diesel vehicle to VW. I had a 2013 Sportwagen/Jetta TDI. I shopped long/hard and carefully for a new replacement vehicle. Prior I had owned a 2001 Acura TL which I drove for 12 years...longer than I'd ever kept a single vehicle...and had a great overall Acura ownership experience. So I ended up purchasing a 2016 MDX base FWD Graphite Luster from the local LandRover/Maserati/SMART/Mercedes/Porsche dealer in town. The car had 5,500 miles...was dead mint...had the all weather matts, wheel locks, splash guards etc. and I paid $36,000 on the button. The Dealer bought out the lease from the Seller who was disappointed in the vehicle...he traded this MDX in for a used Cayenne. I seldom purchase a 'base' model....but in this case I found the car to have everything I wanted (and more) without any costly extraneous features. I'd prefer the ELS stereo....but I can most def live without all other added features. AWD would be nice 5 days per year....but I frankly prefer FWD for day to day driving....and we have a Subaru Outback in the stable as needed. I use nav daily....but have very specific nav requirements...and the Acura nav did not cut the mustard. I'll continue to use my portable Garmin with pleasure. My Sportwagen was NOT a base model vehicle, however, this base MDX surpasses the Sportwagen in feature richness and in every possible way. A matter of perspective I s'pose.

I am getting used to the quiet, comfortable, and refined drive of my MDX...a huge change from my previous vehicle. I had been honing in on a smaller and 'sportier' vehicles (think Volvo XC70, BMW 3 series Sportwagon, Audi AllRoad etc) more 'my style'.....but I finally plunged into the SUV pool. By my calculation...the cost to own and overall cost(s) of this (slightly) used MDX made good fiscal sense by comparison. I had been averaging 36 mpg per tank during day to day driving in my diesel VW....and over 45 mpg on highway miles. I am getting used to the huge change in mpg...which I know is better than the status quo for a vehicle of this size....but it is not an easy transition for my brain to muster. Unfortunately...the short list of true 'wagons' did not meet my fiscal or functional needs in the way that this particular MDX was able to accomplish. That said, the local Acura dealers demanded a significant premium over what I had paid for my particular car....so I feel lucky to have gotten what I feel was a 'good deal'. Most importantly...my dog seems to like the MDX...priorities priorities. I generally keep cars long term...and I expect to get 10+ years from this one.

Anywho...I'll continue to view posts and will begin seeking guidance as needed from you knowledgeable folks. Thanks again!

Kitarkus
Kansas City

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
congrats and post up pictures when you get a chance!
Ha...thanks. Really?...a photo? Around here...you can see about 16 MDX's each time you pull out of your driveway. Part of the MDX appeal was that I thought it wasn't photo 'worthy' lol.

Kit

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Welcome to the fold! I also came from a wagon, albeit a Subaru that I still drive because I've modded it so much for handling lol. The MDX kind of landed in my short list because it drove sufficiently well, had the power I needed, and I felt that it at least made my drives more peaceful. I think we, the big butt crowd, realize after a while that the large space in back when buying below the premium segment usually results in a really noisy and boomy cavern back there that will get on your nerves. If you're a DIY kind of person, the MDX is relatively easy to work on mechanically speaking, so that's a big plus.

Funny how you mention not photo worthy... I was driving home the other day and didn't notice until I peeled off that I was driving behind 3 other 3G MDXes (all different colors too). Suburbillac?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the fold! I also came from a wagon, albeit a Subaru that I still drive because I've modded it so much for handling lol. The MDX kind of landed in my short list because it drove sufficiently well, had the power I needed, and I felt that it at least made my drives more peaceful. I think we, the big butt crowd, realize after a while that the large space in back when buying below the premium segment usually results in a really noisy and boomy cavern back there that will get on your nerves. If you're a DIY kind of person, the MDX is relatively easy to work on mechanically speaking, so that's a big plus.

Funny how you mention not photo worthy... I was driving home the other day and didn't notice until I peeled off that I was driving behind 3 other 3G MDXes (all different colors too). Suburbillac?
Without a doubt the choice of an MDX shows a bit of my changing attitude(s) and age. My tush remains narrow, however, the quiet and comfortable enjoyment are a very welcome change from my VW Sportwagen diesel....and combined with the cargo space were among primary reasons for purchasing the vehicle. MDX is not sporty...doesn't 'handle' particularly well....but man oh man do I find the seats and interior decibel level(s) comfortable. To my surprise...I most often switch the IDS to "Comfort"...and find myself driving slower than I had previously....just enjoying the solitude.

I see more MDX, RDX, Highlander, Sequoia, RX350, Murano, XC90, Tahoe, Escalade etc. and the like each day.....I now blend in....imo not such a bad idea these days. I hear the new administration intends to crush all Prius, Cruz, and similar econo boxes in the coming months :)

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts