Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys-
When we bought our 2007 MDX in 2009 (CPO then for 38K!).. Looked at all the other competitors, nothing really came close.

Today there is some more competition, like the infinity models especially, the newer ML350 is pretty nice, the newer Lexus 350 very nice, but i cant get past the ugly stalk shift lever on the dash.. wow.

What made you pick the MDX? As a current MDX owner I think most likely going with the MDX again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We came from an RX350 and fully intended to get another when they release the rumored third row version. However, we had some expensive reliability issues with the powertrain and decided to replace to car rather than fix it. Those issues ruled out buying anything with Toyota's 3.5V6/AWD.

We typically keep cars for ten years. And I was searching with these criteria in this order: #1 safety, #2 reliability, #3 resale value.

Had a bad Audi experience years ago so I've sworn off them. (Although recent reliability data looks promising.) Due to general long term reliability concerns I avoided the Europeans altogether.

We cross shopped the Infinity QX60, Pilot, CX-9, and MDX.

Really liked the QX60 interior, but ruled it out due to questionable reliability.

Skipped the CX-9 due to unknown powertrain reliability as it was fresh on the market and the old CX-7's turbo four had questionable reliability.

Came down to the Pilot and MDX. The MDX drove better, felt more nimble. The Pilot felt huge. Bought the MDX.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pilot, XC-90, Ford Flex and the MDX. Liked the size of the Pilot, but as stated above it was lumbering and cumbersome to drive. XC seemed noisy on acceleration and also seemed a bit rougher ride. Ford Flex *which we had owned prior* is awesome and with the 350 HP Eco-boost is a blast to drive. Roominess beats all of them and handling is great. Reliability was the concern. All said, the Acura was the best choice for us even though the infotainment system is flat out awful. To this point we have enjoyed our decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On 11/12, I bought a pre-owned 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance ahead of my second winter in Boston. I came from an 09 TL SH-AWD. I was never close to not getting an MDX though I did entertain the ideas of the XC-90 and the Mazda CX-9. The biggest cross-shopping was the 2015 AWD Advance/Ent vs 2016 (I paid a $6500 USD premium for a 2016 with 6k miles compared to the 2016 with 25k miles). I've been lurking on these forums for the last 18 months. I opted for the 2016 as I was satisfied that the TSB fixed the issues discussed on the forums and the updated AWD system is a good thing... and because my wife wanted it in white and only the 2016 was available in white.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Test drove XC90 , Ford , Pilot , MDX , CX 9 .CX 9 had nice interior but engine didn't had that much power .
XC90 nice vehicle didn't know the long term reliability of supercharger and turbo .XC90 was lot noisy for a luxury vehicle .
Ford explorer it was a pain to get in the third row .
Pilot elite was nice but didn't like that the refined noise of the engine and suspection .
In the end MDX tech was the right fit in terms of reliability and features..

·
Registered
186 Posts
RX350. It's a tough choice .. I end up with MDX because I actually want the RX450h but it only comes with CVT as well as more expensive..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looked at the Rav4, Pilot, and RX350. Rav4 and Pilot had cheap feeling interior, RX was nice, but pricey. I owned two previous Acura's and they have been very good to me. Not too many issues and reasonable maintenance required. Stayed with Acura.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Volvo XC 90, BMW X5, Infiniti QZ60, Mazda CX9, Honda Pilot. Needed 3 rows and long term reliability. For a brief while before becoming fixed on 3 rows checked the MB GLE 350, GLC300 Volvo XC 60, Lexus Rx 350. Back to the three rows: BMW is much too tight in the third row, XC 90 loud under hard acceleration - I do enjoy occasional spirited driving. This and the lack of availability of reliability data on the Volvo 4 cylinder knocked this out. The Mazda was balanced and drove well but despite the media hype, it does lack power in the upper Revs. The foot well of the driver is also too tight with the transmission tunnel brushing on my lower leg. The 6 cylinder engine of the Acura is smoother, quieter and responds better than the Mazda and Volvo. The Honda Pilot was too lumbering, interior finishing was not great, I do not find that it looks pretty. Maybe was already biased as a prior MDX gen 2 owner, but I have already owned two XC 90's as well. decision to return to the MDX with the new grill despite it's Navigation system's shortcomings was pretty easy for me.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I think I did way too much cross shopping and test driving... it got blurred near the end haha

1. Porsche Macan - First year issues bugged me, including the door opening causing paint to be scraped off the fenders. It drove really well though. It also felt more cramped than a Q5/SQ5 though. I REALLY wanted one and may still want one years down the line if we don't have kids. I will say though, having the MDX made me really appreciate 7 seaters (yes, I bought a 7 seater for a family of 2 lol) for all the capability of carrying guests and cargo. Has most of the same concerns as the Q5/SQ5 as well. Porsche tends to have better reliability than Audi, but I wanted to see if that would hold true with this mainstream vehicle that used mostly Audi internals.

2. Q5/SQ5 - Loved the power and handling, but limited cargo room and being near the refresh meant it was soon a thing of the past. I may be an odd one, but Audi interiors actually bug me a bit. They're very dated and screens are super small. Also, having an Audi past 4 years is a nightmare.

3. RX350 (new gen) - Very quiet, but drives like a whale in comparison. I come from a background of stiff suspensions but with decent enough ride quality and Lexus never really gets away from that boat captain feeling. Great interior though.
3a. RX350 (old gen) - Bleh looks, meh V6 (same as highlander), blah infotainment (very dated), urgh handling. Super quiet and comfortable though!

4. QX60 - Nice interior too, but handling and CVT issues kept me away. Wasn't anything too special though or different from the MDX. Interior quality has always felt better than Acura. I've watched too many coworkers toss their Nissan family vehicles due to the CVT though that it has had a rather lasting impression of their JATCO units (I also drive another JATCO tranny vehicle, and it hasn't been pretty, some two replacements and $3300 later).

5. XC90 (new gen) - 4 cylinder needed more gusto up top. This is a pretty normal want from 4 cylinders these days, whereas 6 cylinders we tend to want gusto from a stop. The brand was too new to trust though, and from monitoring the forums, it's been a good call to avoid for now.

6. 328xi and 328d wagons - Really no punch to them. Only considered them because I want utility too. Drives like you expect out of a bimmer, but pretty cheap interior and lack luster powertrain for the cost.

7. X5 - Nice. Would only lease it though, so same problem as the Q5 family. BUT, I will say that I hated the new look. The old one was beefy looking.

8. RDX - Actually what gave me a good impression of the Acura brand. It drove well, decent handling, cargo room was average. Interior finishes had a better feel than the CRV, but a lot of the CRV could still be found in the RDX. The sales guy then told me a lot of people look into the MDX because of the small price difference, so maybe it was something I wanted to check too. Got me interested, as I really didn't like how the 15 RDX looked. I waited for the 16 RDX, but I think by then I was already pretty set that I liked how the MDX looked a lot better. Also, Acura was a great value proposition and I knew how easy it is to fix most of the mechanical things on Acuras from past experience.

9. Outback - Haha weird one but I come from Subaru ownership too. The Outback was nice, but my history with Subaru has been a rather colorful one (both bad and good). This swayed me away from the Outback (reliability, maintenance costs, NVH) but also because nobody ever had a 3.6R for me to test drive. I knew I didn't like the 4 cylinder, as I've driven that numerous times. I actually prefer the Forester because it feels more roomy inside, but the Outback has better finishes. And of course, the exterior looks always make me look like a tree hugger (not a bad thing though, as I used to hike a lot in redwood forests). But sure enough, the Outback is having reliability issues again. Subarus kind of break at intervals. Once you get past it, it's smooth sailing for about 60-100k, then it's back to more stuff breaking.

10. GLE350 - Only got to look at this AFTER I bought the MDX because it was not ready by the time I was ready. Mercedes really aced the looks both interior and exterior this generation, EXCEPT on the GLE350 and GLC. But, handling was better than last generation and powertrain was pretty on par with the MDX. Still convinced that the MDX is a better value. Repairs, funny enough, on Mercedes aren't as bad as they are on the other luxury brands. The mechanicals are pretty straight forward BUT, there have been quiet a few issues with the GLE 350 anyway, so glad I didn't bother.

11. Highlander - Interesting looks, good interior volume and cargo utility, typical Toyota quality inside (good enough, and don't really need to worry about getting it dirty). V6 doesn't have enough gusto at the low end and is only mediocre the rest of the band. My wife especially didn't like this, nor the floaty feel of Toyotas. She killed this one for good, even though my initial impression was that I could work with it lol

12. MDX! Had to decide between the 15 and 16, but the 15s were mostly sold out and actually the used ones cost more than a new 16! Took a long while to decide if the 16 tranny was something I could get used to (and the answer is yes for me, having driven ZF 8 speeds before), and the value proposition was undeniable. I heard about QC issues and I inspected the vehicle thoroughly anyway. The interior quality is typical Honda/Acura. The NVH mitigation is way better than previous gens. Drove well, good power, decent looks, way better price than most of the others of the same class and even most of the 5 seater luxuries, so I was kind of sold here. Wife liked it the best too. But I will say that the dealership experience is much less satisfactory than most of the other brands. Slim pickings perhaps? Still a very comfy car for me in the end and I toss it around quite a bit.

13. Oh yeah! Q7! I didn't get to try the new one, but the outgoing gen was actually quite nice. But I again, I don't like the interior much (mostly the center console), but it drove well, was comfy, was quiet, the exterior I actually like the best, but MDX kind of killed it on the value proposition. But tech definitely made me feel like I was driving a pre 2010 vehicle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Neoshi,

I noticed you cross-shopped the Audi Q5. Did you consider the new Audi Q7? It has 3-row seating, very good power, and its fit and finish are impeccable, especially compared to the most recent MDXs. I'm seriously considering one as a replacement to my 2009 MDX Tech. The price differential of the middle tier model is really not that much more than the MSRP of a 2017 Advance. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since we were looking for a vehicle that my wife would primarily drive, she killed a lot of options before we stepped foot on the lot:

1) Mazda CX-9 - Past experience with reliability issues meant this was a no-go. I appreciate Mazda's efforts with their newest vehicles though.
2) Honda Pilot - I still think this would have been better for a family of 5 like us in that it has more utility than the MDX. But its minivan-on-stilts appearance doesn't make it very appealing. I will say the dealer had an Elite in the showroom with every accessory imaginable and it actually looked pretty badass. It was also $55K !
3) Audi Q7 - Awesome tech but gets super expensive with all the goodies. Looks too much like a station wagon.
4) Volvo XC-90 - Same assessment as the Audi. Plus I expect a V6 for vehicle that costs that much.

If it were 100% up to me I would have given the Pilot more of a shot, and maybe even looked into the Ford Explorer a bit more.

The MDX is plenty luxurious, decently fun to drive, and provides just enough utility. We've owned a number of Hondas and Acuras (my '95 Civic EX 5-speed being my favorite to this day) so we trust the reliability and appreciate the value those cars deliver.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Neoshi,

I noticed you cross-shopped the Audi Q5. Did you consider the new Audi Q7? It has 3-row seating, very good power, and its fit and finish are impeccable, especially compared to the most recent MDXs. I'm seriously considering one as a replacement to my 2009 MDX Tech. The price differential of the middle tier model is really not that much more than the MSRP of a 2017 Advance. Just sayin'.
I wanted to, but it wasn't ready by the time I was going to put money down last year. I have seen the new Q7 since, but haven't driven it. It is veery nice in the interior, but the exterior I am not feeling anymore. When you try to compare it par to par tech though, the pricing gap is much larger. Obviously there are sacrifices to be made if you set a budget and all these 7 seaters need to fit into that bottom line. But again, it depends on your duration of ownership plans. Audi's lease plans suck pretty badly now too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts