Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not quite. We just put down our deposit on an '02 RedRock Premium, which we expect to take delivery in two weeks.

After monitoring this site for months, talking to dealers for almost a year, and drooling over the 'X for two years, we took the plunge. I must say this forum has been tremendous help to us as we moved along the sales cycle. I have a few comments and questions regarding our search and experience thus far:

1. Pretty bummed the Deep Mahogany Pearl was discontinued; I had a '93 Accord in that color and always loved it. Not sure why Havasu Blue survived and DMP and Granite Green got the axe. I feel sure the RedRock will be very pleasing to our eyes.

2. Dealers in the Southeast have become MUCH more aggressive, now that they are staring down the Pilot crowd (not the same car, but if it brings down prices, great!) and the 2003's. We did our research - thanks to many on this site BTW - and had our price met. So far, the experience has been good...salesman was nice, knowledgeable and aggressive. Very different from what I expected.

Now for the questions:

1. We have a 5 month old boy who sits in an Eddie Bauer car seat currently, with the lap belt in the middle seat of our Accord. How easy is it to hook the car seat in the 'X? I assume the 3 point belt in the ceiling detaches, if we want to only latch it from the lap to the base? I didn't take the little guy on the test drive because it would've been a distraction - he gets antsy quickly and I assumed Acura had an easy installation process for the seat. Any help?

2. We had a poor experience with our local dealer and went two hours north for our deal. How should I approach my local dealer when it comes time for service (in warranty and out)?

3. We negotiated an '02 RR Premium for MSRP and got the dealer to throw in cargo cover, cargo liner, cargo tray, sunroof windshield and wheel locks. We also got him to "waive" the fees such as "dealer prep", doc fees, etc. I'm sure they weren't really waived, but in the end, all we're paying for the above is $35,200. Is this considered a good deal or is it in line with others? Either way, we're happy, but I'm curious what others think. For those in California, I feel your pain...if I'd been given this deal last Sept., we would've bought on the spot.

Again, thanks for all the help and we look forward to being active posters here. We should find out Monday our exact delivery date and VIN.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great choice!!! I can say you got a pretty good deal - you should be proud! As for the advice, all I can offer is this -- service departments are so 'separate' from the rest of the dealership that they won't notice nor car that you got your MDX from another dealer. They still want your business in the service department. They won't even question you about where you got it and why.

Enjoy the agonizing wait!

(I got mine on a whim - the dealer had one, I took it!)

·
681 Posts
Welcome Aboard (almost)

Hey the wait will be worth it :29:
I'm gonna make a few guesses here. From your handle "mdxsavannah" I have to think you may live in that lovely sister city of ours to the south that sits on a river with huge white mountains of Kaolin - home of the famous Pirate House Restaurant. How am I doing so far?
And your drive two hours North in search of a good dealer would quite possibly put you just about at McDaniel Acura on coincidentally Savannah Highway here in Charleston. Right again or did you mistakenly go to Columbia (armpit of the universe) although at least the dealership is a branch of the same company?
Naw, I'm betting on Charleytown. And I'm gonna make one more wild guess - your salesman was named Keith Nagel?
Of course you could live in Minnesota and just have a funny taste in names. But if I'm right, welcome to the club. :2:
Meep Meep

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadrunner, very close

Thanks, Roadrunner, you would be correct in assuming I live down here in Savannah AND that I am going to receive my 'X from McDaniels Acura. However, I have not dealt with Keith Nagel, rather a fella' named John Andrews. He's been good so far and also drives an 'X, so he had lots of insights into what options I should and shouldn't ask for.

I assume you bought from McDaniels in Charleston and have had a good experience? Anyone in the service department I should talk to, in case I may need them?

p.s. The wife and I enjoy C-town very much and will most likely be making more trips up this fall now that we have an 'X to haul our son and two little dogs comfortably. I may be asking for restaurant recommendations, if you don't mind. I didn't catch the description of your MDX, so tell me about it...I'll keep a lookout when I'm in town.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
mdxsavannah said:
Well, not quite. We just put down our deposit on an '02 RedRock Premium, which we expect to take delivery in two weeks.

After monitoring this site for months, talking to dealers for almost a year, and drooling over the 'X for two years, we took the plunge. I must say this forum has been tremendous help to us as we moved along the sales cycle. I have a few comments and questions regarding our search and experience thus far:

1. Pretty bummed the Deep Mahogany Pearl was discontinued; I had a '93 Accord in that color and always loved it. Not sure why Havasu Blue survived and DMP and Granite Green got the axe. I feel sure the RedRock will be very pleasing to our eyes.

2. Dealers in the Southeast have become MUCH more aggressive, now that they are staring down the Pilot crowd (not the same car, but if it brings down prices, great!) and the 2003's. We did our research - thanks to many on this site BTW - and had our price met. So far, the experience has been good...salesman was nice, knowledgeable and aggressive. Very different from what I expected.

Now for the questions:

1. We have a 5 month old boy who sits in an Eddie Bauer car seat currently, with the lap belt in the middle seat of our Accord. How easy is it to hook the car seat in the 'X? I assume the 3 point belt in the ceiling detaches, if we want to only latch it from the lap to the base? I didn't take the little guy on the test drive because it would've been a distraction - he gets antsy quickly and I assumed Acura had an easy installation process for the seat. Any help?

2. We had a poor experience with our local dealer and went two hours north for our deal. How should I approach my local dealer when it comes time for service (in warranty and out)?

3. We negotiated an '02 RR Premium for MSRP and got the dealer to throw in cargo cover, cargo liner, cargo tray, sunroof windshield and wheel locks. We also got him to "waive" the fees such as "dealer prep", doc fees, etc. I'm sure they weren't really waived, but in the end, all we're paying for the above is $35,200. Is this considered a good deal or is it in line with others? Either way, we're happy, but I'm curious what others think. For those in California, I feel your pain...if I'd been given this deal last Sept., we would've bought on the spot.

Again, thanks for all the help and we look forward to being active posters here. We should find out Monday our exact delivery date and VIN.
For question #1, get a Britax seat for your MDX. They have new anchors that are built right into the second row, you do not need to use seat belts anymore. These seats go in and out so easy you can't beat it. #2 Just go to local dealer for service there should be no problems at all. The service is run separate from the sales dept., and if they ask questions why didn't purchase from our dealer, be honest and tell them that there dealer was to high above the msrp. #3 If have to pay above MSRP, try to get anything you can thrown in. I was priced at %1500 MSRP and got killed on the add on's.

Here's a link for the child seat I have, It's called ISOFIT. It's amazing you have to get it, so easy and much safer.

http://babycatalog.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/index.cgi?c_id=2412366.10893&store=bca.setup&mi=yes&srchcd=02934

I didn't buy from this link, I purchased at local Babyrus or any baby store local to yourself. The price is always the same whereever you go. They are the safest seats on the market, endorsed by the Fire Department and Police Department. The are priced high due to excessive saftey features bulit in. The were oringinally priced and marketed for the European Market where car drive at much higher speeds and require much higher degree of safety than in the USA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey mdxsavannah,
I am in augusta and just put down a deposit on a '02 premium silver, $34,500 plus $239 for roof rack, plus doc fees, tax, tag and title-- drive out total at $37,500 with delivery in two days (they have it on the lot). Unfortunately I did not get any other options thrown in, but considering I can get it in two days I thought it was an okay deal. My dealer here would not budge off of $35,200 MSRP plus all of the above, so I found this one about two hours east of here. I checked in Savannah, Jacksonville, Macon, Columbus, and Greenville and no one would budge off of MSRP. By the way, I am originally from Statesboro, just one hour east of you. How does the passenger seat feel--I know it is manual, but is its height at a neutral level? Enjoy your X! bdmd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts