Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new MDX owner I can't help notice the resemblence of my car with the Lexus RX300. I have compared the two with lexus coming out more expensive. Dont tell me the MDX is a generic lexus knockoff?!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Before the flames start flying, I'd like to say hello and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find (and lots of people here will help you) that the MDX is NOT a generic RX, and it doesn't actually resemble the RX at all. Take a closer or longer look, and I think you'll agree - the differences far outnumber the similarities.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't say it was an RX300 knockoff but I do agree they look very much alike. I own an RX300 and am looking very hard at a 2003 MDX. One of the things I like AND dislike about the MDX is how much it looks like my Lexus. :D

To be fair, alot of folks said that Lexus "copied" the Mercedes M class design when IT first came out. THAT was a bit of a stretch IMO, but since Mercedes was the first SUV that didn't look like a reworked (some might say knock off) Toyota Landcruiser or 4Runner then I guess I can understand the comparison.

In the end, I think the Lexus and the MDX are two of the nicest looking SUV's on the road. I feel the RX is a less macho than the MDX and that might explain why you tend to see alot of "soccer Moms" riding around in them. The MDX is a bit more aggressive looking and works well for... er... "soccer Dads" and Soccer Moms alike. Advantage Acura.

I don't think Acura necessarily "copied" Lexus but took "liberal design cues" built off their general shape. After all, nothing breeds imitation like success and the RX300 is Lexus' best selling vehicle ever. I think the MDX took a nice looking design and toughened it up a bit to appeal more to Men AND Women. Gave it a more powerful engine, more room inside and a third seat. It's no accident they look alike. After all, Acura is specifically going after the same demographic that the Lexus RX300 is going after. Only Acura has that all important 3rd row seat that appeals to growing families. Score a major advantage there for Acura as well. Don't be shocked in 2004 when Lexus releases that same 3rd row seat in it's "new and improved" RX300. Now. Is it copying or is it just building on the successes of others? You be the judge... Either way it's us as the consumers who win. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
DaleB said:
It is also said imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but the MDX wins out as looking like a much more purposeful statement to the luxury SUV IMHO.
I agree 100 percent. Acura took the design to the next level. The one thing that bugs me most about our Lexus is that it's just too... "cheeky". That little round hiney just really screams "GIRL CAR! GIRL CAR!". :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
hiney . . .

bareyb said:

I agree 100 percent. Acura took the design to the next level. The one thing that bugs me most about our Lexus is that it's just too... "cheeky". That little round hiney just really screams "GIRL CAR! GIRL CAR!". :D
So if the 2004 version comes out with a 3rd row seat, would this girl car be considered a 'full sized hiney' ?!? How'd that rap song go 'my girl's got back . . .' :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

·
Banned
10 Posts
RX far superior

Ladies and Gentlemen:

No offense, the truth is the RX is a true luxury machine. All you MDX owners are kidding yourselves. Any car can look (your words) macho by dressing it up in some fashion the same way your girl friend or wife paints their faces in the morning. It doesn't make them more womanly.

What's up with the running boards on the MDX??? It looks like some country western vehicle ready to pull a stack of hay. Man, the running boards make the MDX UGLY. At the very least, put the Manik bars on instead.

As for macho, the MDX per quotes from other MDX owners looks like a puppy dog???

If you really want to compare, I like granite counters over formica, slate over sheet vinyl and RX over MDX (The MDX interior is stale, overused with synthetic wood.) If you want luxury, get an RX, its smooth riding where others (MDX) cannot duplicate, its rich looking and enough SUV for the casual 4 wheeler.

Soul surfer

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
RX is an adequate 4-Seater

Soul Surfer said:
Ladies and Gentlemen:

What's up with the running boards on the MDX??? It looks like some country western vehicle ready to pull a stack of hay. Man, the running boards make the MDX UGLY. At the very least, put the Manik bars on instead.

If you really want to compare, I like granite counters over formica, slate over sheet vinyl and RX over MDX (The MDX interior is stale, overused with synthetic wood.) If you want luxury, get an RX, its smooth riding where others (MDX) cannot duplicate, its rich looking and enough SUV for the casual 4 wheeler
Surely you jest or are too biased to be objective. What's up with running boards you ask? The MDX doe NOT come with running boards! Its an option, OK.

Casual 4 wheeler, yea I see RX's 4 wheeling all over the place. There are so many 4 wheeling up and down the streets that it is the comman man's car, certainly no exclusivity.

Let me ask you what's up with the 4 seater w/ no luggage room? You can't even take a foursome to play golf in an RX unless you ship the clubs ahead of you:rolleyes:

In all fainess, I concede that the RX is an excellent small SUV, definitely a little nicer than my RAV4, but not much bigger. I needed a large SUV and the MDX suits us just fine.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: RX far superior

Soul Surfer said:
Ladies and Gentlemen:

No offense, the truth is the RX is a true luxury machine. All you MDX owners are kidding yourselves. Any car can look (your words) macho by dressing it up in some fashion the same way your girl friend or wife paints their faces in the morning. It doesn't make them more womanly.

As for macho, the MDX per quotes from other MDX owners looks like a puppy dog???

If you really want to compare, I like granite counters over formica, slate over sheet vinyl and RX over MDX (The MDX interior is stale, overused with synthetic wood.) If you want luxury, get an RX, its smooth riding where others (MDX) cannot duplicate, its rich looking and enough SUV for the casual 4 wheeler.

Soul surfer
:23: To each their own...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Welll.....it's definitely A LOT nicer.....

msu79gt82 said:

..........In all fainess, I concede that the RX is an excellent small SUV, definitely a little nicer than my RAV4, but not much bigger. I needed a large SUV and the MDX suits us just fine.
......than my RAV4 ;)

My RAV4 does not come with that silky-smooth-near-silent V6, nor does it have those "chairs" fit for a king, no navigation system (I have to deal with an aftermarket add-on - YUCK :eek: ), no Nakamichi sound system, no power seats, no climate control ......and I could go on and on and on....... :)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Welll.....it's definitely A LOT nicer.....

vicpai said:
....than my RAV4 ;)
Of course I was being a little facetious with our troll friend:rolleyes:, however I was serious about the size difference.:29:

·
Banned
10 Posts
Learn to read

Yeah, I take it you folks have now conceded, the MDX is not worth a dime. You folks should read other MDX threads making reference to the competition (ML, X5 and ML) in negative demeanor. I'm not offended by these comments, however, it open the doors to honest and speak my mind.

You need to lighten up, all I'm publishing is my opinion and you are entittled to your own. So stop whinning and grow up. So when you make reference to some people children, smell your own arm pitts, its you that reeks the bad mouth.

I'm only hoping the Acura folks are reviewing these site so they improve their products and hopefully one day invest much more toward their vehicles. Maybe then, I would buy an MDX and be proud of it. For now, Acura has a long way to go to improve the cheap looking vehicle

Soul

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Learn to read

Soul Surfer said:
Yeah, I take it you folks have now conceded, the MDX is not worth a dime. You folks should read other MDX threads making reference to the competition (ML, X5 and ML) in negative demeanor. I'm not offended by these comments, however, it open the doors to honest and speak my mind.

You need to lighten up, all I'm publishing is my opinion and you are entittled to your own. So stop whinning and grow up. So when you make reference to some people children, smell your own arm pitts, its you that reeks the bad mouth.

I'm only hoping the Acura folks are reviewing these site so they improve their products and hopefully one day invest much more toward their vehicles. Maybe then, I would buy an MDX and be proud of it. For now, Acura has a long way to go to improve the cheap looking vehicle

Soul
Monday morning we will all go trade our MDXs in, father conscience. We have seen the light! How did we get so far without you?

In the meantime, bite me!

(who put the long wind-up srping in this chatterbox?)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts

Soul Surfer said:

Soul
Dude, I think you've been hitting the waves to much. I believe you hit a rock or reef and this is affecting your judgement!!! See a doctor to get a check up. It's in your best interest.
:4:

·
Registered
237 Posts

Soul Surfer said:

Soul

Some say Tomato Some say Tomoto big freaking deal.

Let me tell you why I went with the MDX vs RX which I thinks is nice looking rig. Size, of all the so-called luxury SUVs the MDX offered the most bang for the Buck. I also like the way it looks, the only other one that looks as nice would be the X5 & my wife disagrees with me on the one. Although for 8k more and space limitations, it was a real easy choice to go with the MDX.

You are surely welcome to your opinion but we all know about opinion’s right?

BTW my friend you are a Troll :9:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts

Soul Surfer said:

Soul
Yawn..:23: :32:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Soul Surfer!

Please forgive us for not consulting you first before making our purchases! Have we strayed or what?

This is an MDX forum, of course we might cut down the competition, so what? We also cut down Acura too! If we liked the competition better we would be on a different forum and own different vehicles. What don't you understand about that? We know the MDX is not perfect, nothing is...but it suits our purpose just fine. That's why we are here...! Duh!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts