Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to trade our 2006 MDX with 136,000 miles on a new vehicle. It's been narrowed down to a 2012 MDX w/Technology package or a 2012 Pilot Touring. Pro's for the MDX are more power, 6-spd transmission, more luxury, more cachet, slightly higher quality Navi (weather), better radio. Cons are need for premium fuel, worse gas mileage, smaller interior, no RES, no rear side curtains built in, no factory trailer hitch (I pull a jet ski from time to time), and a $5,000 increased cost. Any thoughts? We're going to let them know tomorrow. FWIW, my wife LOVES her Acura...

·
Registered
81 Posts
only get the pilot if you cant afford the mdx...otherwise, i see no reason to get the pilot unless you want a lesser vehicle or need to haul seven other people.

·
Registered
112 Posts
MDX all the way and for a 5k difference its a no brainer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i've owned a 2001 MDX, then a 2009 Pilot Touring, now a 2012 MDX Tech. I was deciding between the MDX and the Pilot back in '09. The Pilot had features I wanted at the time the MDX didnt, such as the tow package, USB input for my Ipod, front and rear parking sensors, it was bigger, ran on regular gas vs the '09 MDX, and was about 7 grand cheaper becuase of Honda incentives. Did not want the RES. the kids use thier Ipods and Ipads and I saved 1600 bucks in the process. Now you have to get the RES on the Touring (Dumb idea Honda). I went to the 2012 MDX from the Pilot because I no longer needed as much room. The MDX is more 'Sport' and the Pilot is more 'Utility'. The NAV weather is another 6 bucks a month. I did have to add the OEM tow package to the MDX which i installed myself at a cost of a little over 400 bucks. One feature I really do miss is the front and rear parking sensors!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow, I was going to recommend the pilot, but didn't know about the Eco issues. IMO if the car is just a people hauler I don't see the need to spend the extra money. If you and the wife can tolerate the looks of the pilot, which my wife couldn't, I would go for it.
Now, if you care about what you drive, then go for the Acura. Save your pennies and don't get the RES buy yourself two iPads and strap them to the back of the front seats. There are pretty good sales going on, there is a thread where someone was quoted 39+k for a tech 2012, which IMO is a steal. I thought I did well at 40.5

·
Registered
108 Posts
39k for a 2012 Tech at Radley Acura in DC area right now, two family members just purchased theirs. (Both traded in MDX's). Great price!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Keep mama happy! ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
39k for a 2012 Tech at Radley Acura in DC area right now, two family members just purchased theirs. (Both traded in MDX's). Great price!
Is that OTD or plus tax,tags and freight?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you get the Pilot, you will always second guess yourself that you should have spent the extra money and got the MDX.

I had a similar situation in 2006 deciding between a Accord EX and a TL. I ended up getting the Accord and always regretted not getting the TL.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you get the Pilot, you will always second guess yourself that you should have spent the extra money and got the MDX.

I had a similar situation in 2006 deciding between a Accord EX and a TL. I ended up getting the Accord and always regretted not getting the TL.
In 2001 I cheaped out and got an Accord EX v6. A perfectly good car and it served me very well, but I really wanted a Maxima and always regretted it. That's why when I bought my 04 mdx in 2006 I went with the MDX and not the Pilot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts