Interior

Attachments

·
Registered
3,218 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Am I imagining it or are there three levers in the center console area in the picture?

One looks like a parking brake, the leather appearing one looks like it is the gear shifter, what is the wood one for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one on the far left with the chrome button is the parking brake, the wooden/leather one is the transmission shifter, and third one (far upper right) is the shifter for the multi-mode 4wd system.

-Nick;)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
This new Lexus SUV, the GX 470........

.............is the reason I will not buy an MDX (which I was actually planning to buy for lack of other choices). Although I really like the MDX (mechanically, features-wise and also it is a good value) it was too large or more specifically too wide for my liking. This makes the vehicle a real chore to drive in the city, not to mention park - especially since so many of the parking spots here are so narrow, as space is at a premium!! .....even though I would've wished for a slightly shorter vehicle, I could've lived with the MDX's length - BUT NOT THE WIDTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lexus GX 470 is one or two inches shorter than the MDX, and about 3 inches narrower than the MDX (and it's bigger brother the LX 470 which itself is narrower - 76.4 in - than the MDX - 77 in :confused: ) and yet is surprisingly spacious inside and is 8-passenger capable (not that this particular capability is of any interest to me)!!....

The Lexus GX 470 will come with options such as a killer Mark-Levinson audio system, the excellent DVD Navi system, HIDs, etc. etc. Other advantages include a a combination of excellent off-road capability (a real off=roader) with a ulta-smooth Lexus ride (as a result of high tech engineering from the LX-470), a real nice 4.7L V8 producing 320 lb ft of torque giving the GX a towing capability of 6,500 lbs.

The moment the GX 470 comes out in January 2003 I will be buying one, finally :rolleyes: bringing my search for the perfect vehicle to an end

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well Vic. Good luck with the Lexus. I never thought ANYONE would opt AGAINST the width of the MDX. It is one of the biggest reasons I love the MDX. I get in an Explorer, or Jeep or 4 Runner or anything else and I feel claustrophopic! It's hard to tell from the pics but the Lexus is nowhere near as ugly as an ML320.

Anyway, maybe you should check out the new Volvo as well. Looks like another MDX Copy Cat..just a year and a half too late to Market!

http://www.volvoxc90.com/no_intro.html

·
Registered
442 Posts
The never ending quest

While I don't believe there's any such thing as the perfect vehicle, the new Lexus looks and sounds like it could come close. It might even assume that role that many of us believe the MDX claims today. Guess we'll have to wait a year to find out. Who knows, maybe even the new Volvo SUV will claim the throne (doubt it!). The fact is that there's always something better coming down the pike and that's what drives our consumerist culture.
As for the size of the Acura, it was definitely the number one selling point for this husband and father of two. I checked out the RX300 and the BMW X5 and they were just too small (and the only other contenders in my mind after extensive research).
Can't wait to check out that Porsche Cayenne...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unfortunately it is people that like BIGGER that have all these cars so RIDICULOUSLY BIG. Hell the new Camry is HUGE. WTF? THat is why I park my car AWAY from all these GARGANTIAN cars and trucks. Huge doors, huge this and that.

Whatever happened to compact. Do you know that since 1989 the LS 400/430 has NEVER increased in length, they just package the car better year after year. The last gen Honda Accord was SHORTER (but wider) than the 1990-94 version. The current GS is 6 inches shorter than the 1st gen.

Now EVERYONE has got to get BIGGER cars. We all need to eat more low-fat turkey sandwiches........

Anyway this new GX solves my RX vs LX debate, thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
1SICKLEX said:

Anyway this new GX solves my RX vs LX debate, thanks!
That's right, now your parents have the perfect compromise over the LX and RX. How do they like the GX?

-Nick

·
Registered
91 Posts
vicpai????

vicpai,

I'm confused. But I'm fairly new here. You have 200+++ post here and you have no interest in getting a MDX?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Utility versus Compact

There will never be one answer for everything. People can enjoy the perfect vehicle that they like. The key enjoyment of life is DRIVING ONE.. not keep on shopping. :) If you don't need space, the Lexus is a perfect car. If you want style, the X5 is wonderful. If you still need to go to Home Depo for anything real and have all the nice car at a reasonable price, the MDX is king. Today, the X5 will cost about 8K more on similar Touring Navi. Besides, the new Lexus will probably costs 8K or more too, which will put it up there with the trim-down BMW X5. I don't need any bigger or powerful V8 car like LX 470 (cost much much more $$ too). But taking a car with less useful space is not my choice. I have done a few job with the userful trunk space and I must say the inside width can not be any smaller than it is. A car buy needs to make a decision on what's important.

The new Lexus may be a hit.. like it did at one point. Still that is a maybe. Competition creates better products. Personally I won't count on a product that is not yet shown or review on the market for six month.. buying on brochure or even announcement is a bit blind faith. The way it is, I won't want RX300 to be my primary car for that it is very much a house wife vehicle. :p By that time maybe Mercedez will come out with getting-everything-right-this-time SUV. :p :p

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Like I said.........

gadgetdog said:
vicpai,

I'm confused. But I'm fairly new here. You have 200+++ post here and you have no interest in getting a MDX?
..........I am a previous Acura owner ( a 2000 3.2TL NAVI) and owned it for 8 months until it got stolen :( , and it had an OUTSTANDING Navigation System. The Navi system alone would have pushed me over 50% in the direction of the MDX (as I did not want a car anymore, but rather an SUV). Besides, this the MDX had many many features (similar to my TL), including great performance which put the MDX pretty much as my only choice, except that I do not like the HUMUNGOUS size of the MDX - never did.......and even though manufacturers act like the only people in the world are families with a ton of kids to haul......there are still lots of young (kinda - I'm 28 yrs old :D ), single, people out there who can afford a luxury SUV, but don't want to be driving around a barge or don't have the need to haul 10 sheets of huge plywood everyday!!!!

Personally I feel this new GX 470 offers all the utility, space and performance, to reasonably good levels with lavish levels of luxury unmatched in the business, excellent reliability, while at the same time not sacrificing that quintessential element of driving a vehicle: "the fun factor" by not going overboard and making it too large.............or to say it in another way......"Have you driven a Toyota RAV4 lately??" :D :D

Having said what I've said, I will still keep visiting (and, yes posting on ;) ) this forum as I've had a lot of interesting discussions here (especially on Navi systems-and BTW I still maintain that the Acura Navi is THE BEST) and met a lot of interesting people. Considering the number of post and my "senior member" designation it almost feels like I should have an MDX by default "width or not to width" :D :D ...........

·
Registered
91 Posts
vicpai

vicpai,

OK, I understand now! I think you must have thought enough of the MDX to "seem to have" had one by now! I too liked the TL and spent 8 months thinking that I was going to get one, but then didn't. :)

u better go get in line for the Lexus NOW, do you think there will be a long wait for it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
SUV or not to be...

I always mistakenly assume that most people who buy big, brawny SUVs have families and want the safety and security that the size provides. I was tired of driving around in my little Subaru wagon and being dwarfed by the large number of intimidating vehicles. This is the classic "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality, but who cares when your family's safety is at issue? Lots of folks want SUVs for recreational (off road) purposes, but this is really not the MDX's forte. My personal opinion is that the MDX is the quintessential "family" SUV and it's size is what bears this out.
Now, if I were twenty-something and single again (please let me dream), I'd cut to the chase and buy an NSX. Maybe in that tangerine orange with matching leather...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Like I said.........

vicpai said:
...Personally I feel this new GX 470 offers all the utility, space and performance, to reasonably good levels with lavish levels of luxury unmatched in the business, excellent reliability, while at the same time not sacrificing that quintessential element of driving a vehicle:....
Like most of the MDX buyers or waiting-in-liners, you seems to dream a lot. Heck I was in the queue for 3 months. Dreaming is certainly a good thing. Many of us were passing time on this forum while waiting for the MDX dream car. :) For being the class "470" like its brother, this new bigger Lexus is probably around $60K or more, when it is said and done. If you can offer it, it may really be the dream car. Will I justify that kind of marginal gain with the marginal extra cost? To me, no.

BTW, your description on the new Lexus is so professional.. almost like coming out of their promotional department.

:p :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's not about size; If you want size you go buy an Expedition or Excusrsion..

I challenge anyone on this forum to find a vehicle with this combination:

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's not about size; If you want size you go buy an Expedition or Excursion..

I challenge anyone on this forum to find a vehicle with this combination:

1) 7 passenger seating and cargo space
2) 23+ mpg Highway
3) 0-60MPH (as the MDX)
4) Top speed of 135MPH
5) ULEV
6) Sports Sedan Handling..
8) Great NAVI

The MDX isn't big. It's efficently designed and has hit the nail on the head from a design perspective to include all the above in a nice package. If you don't get it..you're just making excuses!

The "perfect" verhicle is in the eye of the beholder. Mine is sittin' in my garage!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts