Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new key fob for my 2007- thought I could just have it cut at homedepot or something - went there theybsaid they can't

Called dealer they said free to cut but then 110 to program

They also said if they cut it only (free) the key won't start the car unless its programmed .. is this true ?

I thought I would have it cut somewhere and then just program myself as per online how to

Any advice ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I ordered a new key fob for my 2007- thought I could just have it cut at homedepot or something - went there theybsaid they can't

They also said if they cut it only (free) the key won't start the car unless its programmed .. is this true ?

I thought I would have it cut somewhere and then just program myself as per online how to

Any advice ?
Wow~ $110 just to program?!!! that's the STEALERSHIP for ya!....am also interested in seeing some feedback/responses on this one as I'm similarly interested in getting a new key FOB for my '09 MDX.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a single key - not fob made for my 04. It was $35.00 cdn to cut and $120.00 cdn to program the chip in the key. It is true that just the key unprogrammed wont start the car. There are apparently some third parties who advertise their services online who can program cheaper but not sure how. You need to have an existing key i think. Still it is a rip off no matter how you slice it

For my 2008 i did get a quote for key/fob switchblade combo. It will run close to $500.00 for the key/fob, cut and programming. All prices canadian so probably equivalent to 370.00 US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah so 80 for the new fob , dealer will cut for free and 110 to program
Even called local Honda dealer , said they can't cut

So looking like 80+ 110 for about 200 to get new key -

Wife liost spare and nervous being with one key

Other option would just to cut a regular key - but of course I want the fob

Trying to keep my 150k 2007 mdx as long as I can :)

I'll definitely be buying a new mdx eventually

·
Registered
8 Posts
find a nice locksmith they cut key and some times they program it i saw it done for $50 cad here in torornto your new key have to be programmed on pcm you need a software and hds from honda/acura but some look smiths have a programmer from snap on that is able to do it

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yes it is true.
Besides the Key Lock the key itself contains a chip, That chip must be "programmed" to the ECU in order to start up the engine. Otherwise if you have the Key Lock but no chip you will be Cranking for ever because the Immobilizer will defeat the Coils and Fuel Pump.

This doesn´t mean you have to do this at a dealership though.. Mom and Pops locksmiths (modern ones) can do this job.. Just search for the ones that say they can "Program Chips".

·
Registered
85 Posts

Any advice ?
You don't need to go to stealership for them to cut/program go to ebay, Amazon or any other store that carry MDX fob just make sure it matches your original one.
Once you have the key fob go to any Locksmith and have them cut it for you.
Here are the instruction on how to program your key fob see attach only work for MDX from 07-09. MDX 2010 and up need to see stealership to have them program.
Hope it help.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts