Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a '14 Advanced. Recently, we have noticed a new sound coming from the engine. Definitely a new noise was not there till recently. It sounds like a "chirp" that lasts about 1/2 a second every once in a while. Not constant. Pretty much only hear it when the car is in motion, not stopped at a light. It happens every couple of minutes or so. At first I thought it might be when the AC compressor kicks on but if it were that I would have thought it would do it at idle too.

I understand there is a common problem with a timing belt chirp and a fuel pump chirp. Are those chirps intermittent or constant? Or might it be the AC pulley bolt coming out?

I'll take it in for service but want to hear the collective wisdom first.

Thanks in advance. :29:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a vibration/scraping noise they occurs about the same time and frequency of yours on my '14 tech-entertainment mdx

Seems like mine is coming from engine or under car or footwell area in front

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 14 MDX Tech. Have been dealing with chirping (crickets at idle) and whinning noise under low exceleration (sounds like two glass bottles vibrating against one another) since 4500 Miles. I am at 16000 miles now and the noises are still there.

Did the timing belt TSB and got that shim kit. (Twice by two different dealerships. One claimed the other installed the shim kit incorrectly. Strange.

However, they all had the same response after the noise came back.

-normal direct injection engine sound (I know the difference between ticking and chirping)
-don't hear noise
-my favorite "just drive with music on"

I know supertech would probably have an update on this issue should any sustainable fix comes out of Acura.

Maybe he can share some more insights on this issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Still nothing if it's the chirp from the high pressure fuel pump.

What's bad is that all of our models do it. Even the 4 cylinder ILX and TLX. So it's not just that particular pump on the MDX (the RLX uses a different one too).

·
Registered
126 Posts

What's bad is that all of our models do it. Even the 4 cylinder ILX and TLX. So it's not just that particular pump on the MDX (the RLX uses a different one too).

SuperTech, do you know if there is a solution in the making for the rear shocks unusual noise, in the 2014 MDX?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
SuperTech, do you know if there is a solution in the making for the rear shocks unusual noise, in the 2014 MDX?
Nope. They're looking into it. But as of now, the best anyone can do is just replace the rear shocks and hope they're a little better.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Thanks Supertech.

Below link is a sample of my MDX chirping at idle. Can you tell if this is the fuel pump? Tks again.

https://youtu.be/xl-fb88SOQI

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like it. The chirps are too closely spaced to be the other noise from the timing belt.
Thanks Supertech.

Do you see any 2016 model with the same issue?

If not, Does the 2016 have a new fuel pump design?

Sorry for all the questions. I am sure others are curious as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also Supertech,

I noticed the different fuel pump part numbers between 14,15, and 16 MDX models. Does this mean there are different fuel pump designs? Tks.

14 MDX

16790-R9P-A01
16790-5J6-A01

15 MDX

16790-5J6-A01

16 MDX

16790-R9S-A01

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
To be honest, I haven't noticed it on a 2016. Yet? I dunno. The fact that there's yet another part number is very telling of something. The fact that the 2016 part number doesn't just replace all the others though is not encouraging that they fixed anything.

For what it's worth, I have about 6k miles on my personal TLX that I switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles. And while the fuel pump chirp is there at times, it's pretty faint and you can't hear it inside the cabin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be honest, I haven't noticed it on a 2016. Yet? I dunno. The fact that there's yet another part number is very telling of something. The fact that the 2016 part number doesn't just replace all the others though is not encouraging that they fixed anything.

For what it's worth, I have about 6k miles on my personal TLX that I switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles. And while the fuel pump chirp is there at times, it's pretty faint and you can't hear it inside the cabin.
Thanks for the feedback Supertech. It is very unfortunate Acura does not have a permanent solution on this yet. Very frustrating.

I had a TLX loaner recently for a few days and it was quiet in the cabin. The ticking noise was audible outside of the vehicle but that's expected.

Please do keep us posted should you hear any fix for this issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok folks, I recently took my car back to the dealer for the AC bolt recall and a noisy fan motor issue. While I was there, I showed the technician audio recording of the fuel pump noise I recorded from my 14 MDX and convinced him to go for a test drive with me.

Fortunately, the noise started after driving around for 20 mins and the technician was able to hear it. After taking my car in 4 times for the fuel pump noise issue, they finally heard it! Thank God!

They kept my car for another day while the technician called tech line the next day. I was giving the following explanation by the service advisor.

Quote" called Acura’s Techline about your issue and explained to them what he heard and what he believes the issue is. Apparently it is an issue that they are aware of on some vehicles and they’re currently working on releasing an updated part as well as a Service Bulletin or recall for this issue." unquote

I didn't know if this is good or bad news but sure sound more promising than the typical "normal noise" or "can't reproduce the noise" feedbacks I get.

Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel..soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Andyk496 for persistently fighting this issue (I too have!). Like you said, hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious as how they will implement the repair for this "updated" part. It was nothing but a hassle to have our '16 remedied. I had the same "it's normal" response to a point where when they finally did the shim kit install the noise came back 20 mins later. I took it back and received the it's normal and we proved it by parking it next to another MDX on the lot. After over a month's worth of calls going back & forth with Acura Client Relations I told them from the beginning I'm taking it to a dealership other than the one we purchased from. The 2nd dealership told me they'd take it apart as if nothing happened. Come to find out the spacer that was installed from the shim kit install was warped. Can't believe the dealership we purchased from would allow me to drive off the lot with our toddler telling us it's normal and pretty much you're hearing things and it's you, not us. Even Acura Client Relations said that they believe in their techs even after I told the District Manager that simply parking a car next to another one isn't a good form of diagnosis. After that was fixed the HVAC control unit goes out. We purchased the vehicle in March of this year. My biggest complaint was the whole it's you not us dialogue Acura has decided to take. I understand dealerships I used to be a BMW Client Advisor. But, this is our our 3rd Acura and our 2nd MDX we purchased from the same dealership. I told Client Relations that if this sound is "normal" then why didn't this sound occur the first time we test drove the car and drove it off the lot? If this is normal then why did it occur after 5000 miles? The best part of it was how the Service Advisor said "wow, you've got some good ears." I sure hope there's a fix to this. First world problem but annoying nonetheless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Andyk496 for persistently fighting this issue (I too have!). Like you said, hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon.
Unfortunately we are the lucky few with this problem.

I trying to keep this topic alive until a fix is in place. there must be Acura people monitoring these forums for customer feedback and issues.

Hopefully Persistence translate to perseverance...fingers crossed!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

I have a '14 Advanced. Recently, we have noticed a new sound coming from the engine. Definitely a new noise was not there till recently. It sounds like a "chirp" that lasts about 1/2 a second every once in a while. Not constant. Pretty much only hear it when the car is in motion, not stopped at a light. It happens every couple of minutes or so. At first I thought it might be when the AC compressor kicks on but if it were that I would have thought it would do it at idle too.

I understand there is a common problem with a timing belt chirp and a fuel pump chirp. Are those chirps intermittent or constant? Or might it be the AC pulley bolt coming out?

I'll take it in for service but want to hear the collective wisdom first.

Thanks in advance. :29:
I should have posted that my chirp was indeed a known issue to Acura and there is a TSB on it. There is a black plastic "beautification" panel that runs on top the radiator at the front of the hood and is held in by clips. The clips on early model 2014's do not hold it well enough and the wind under the right conditions can make it vibrate against the fender, thus the chirp. They replaced the clips and sound is gone.

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Somehow I notice my MDX chirps louder and more frequent with AC ON. Recently the weather is cooler and the AC doesn't have to work that hard so I believe I hear the chirp much less often on my MDX.

Is this a possible indication of timing belt rubbing somewhere?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I should have posted that my chirp was indeed a known issue to Acura and there is a TSB on it. There is a black plastic "beautification" panel that runs on top the radiator at the front of the hood and is held in by clips. The clips on early model 2014's do not hold it well enough and the wind under the right conditions can make it vibrate against the fender, thus the chirp. They replaced the clips and sound is gone.

:D
Hi Flame Red,

Yes the issue you had was the "flutter" or "buzz" noise caused by the loose cover.

I too had that issue and had the TSB done.

The issue others and I were referring to is the "chirping" noise coming from the high pressure fuel pump which has no solution in sight at this point.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts