Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I am new here. I purchased a 2011 MDX in December of 2014. It is an Advanced Model. For the last year and half we have been having dead battery issues. It has been to the dealer 5-6 times (I've actually lost count) and they say they can't find anything wrong. In the last 18 months the battery has been replaced 3 times, an HFL part has been replaced 3 times and the alternator has been replaced. This past fall winter it was dead 3-4 times from Oct-Feb. They even had it 3 weeks the last time and they still can't find anything wrong. It is always dead in the morning when I go to drive it and never any warning. My husband said he is about to drive it off a cliff he is so pissed.

The dealer has had it now since last Tuesday and I pick it up tomorrow. I've been reading some old threads and wondering if I should call before I pick it up and have them disconnect the HFL and check the A/C relay? My husband said the A/C relay was replaced.

Acura claims that there aren't any issues with the HFL and they don't know what to do but the car checks out find.

We are at a loss. Any advice?

Thanks!
Kellie

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Out of warranty, right?

Take it to a better shop. Or if you know someone with an oscilloscope and a current probe (and with the knowledge to use it) ask them to track down the power draw.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Time for a new repair shop or do your own power draw test to isolate the source. Lots of videos on youtube demonstrating how to. The first two things i would do is unplug the hfl to test if draw is still there and then the a/c fuse. After that you just start pulling fuses with multimeter connected and watch to see if there is a draw.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Do you have any extras on the MDX like dash cam, remote start, aftermarket alarm, etc...?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had them unhook the HFL before I picked up my car today. The guy I talked to said he would just probably get rid of it if it was his car. While I was driving home the Service Manager told my husband that there is nothing more they can do and they just can't keep replacing parts. We hae about 6k miles until our warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Truly people if you are reading this post about battery issues then do yourself a favour and toss the HFL Unit and dont look back!!! Get yourself a seperate blue tooth system cheap and do not bother with buying a new HFL unit as it too will stop working. The only other issue of battery drain was from the A.C relay which i replaced with the new updated version and have had no further issues. ( Note : The A/C was blowing "Warm " which had me chase down the problem to the A/C relay).

·
Registered
793 Posts
I pulled my HFL out and completed a parasitic draw test:

With the door open and the interior lights on = 1.449A
With the door closed and interior lights off = .255A

I continued to pull every fuse and there was only one, which changed the .225A to a .224A draw.

So, if you do a parasitic draw test, your target will be around the .255A range.
I left my HFL is disconnected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pulled my HFL out and completed a parasitic draw test:

With the door open and the interior lights on = 1.449A
With the door closed and interior lights off = .255A

I continued to pull every fuse and there was only one, which changed the .225A to a .224A draw.

So, if you do a parasitic draw test, your target will be around the .255A range.
I left my HFL is disconnected.
mine reads 0.5a drain with doors closed and hfl plugged or unplugged, removed the ac relay..stil 0.5a drain, have run out of ideas and options, hep if you have a workaround to this annoying issue

·
Registered
201 Posts
the Service Manager told my husband that there is nothing more they can do and they just can't keep replacing parts. We hae about 6k miles until our warranty runs out.
How much do you want to bet that the service department will be happy to keep replacing parts after the warranty has run out and you are paying for them?

That statement speaks volumes about the service department. It tells me that they know little about troubleshooting the source of the problem and have instead just taken the path of throwing parts at the problem. The service "manager" said as much. IMO, there is a huge difference between a technician and a parts changer. As has already been suggested, take the car somewhere else. Given their demonstrated level of technical expertise, I would also check myself to be sure that the service department did in fact disconnect the HFL. It is easy to access and disconnect. Literally no tools required. I would also check the connections to the battery and the condition of the negative ground cable. I have read here that these can go bad from corrosion inside the cable underneath the black insulation, and it can't be visually detected. What is the condition of the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner? Was either changed when the alternator was changed? If the service department just wants to throw parts at it, those are a couple more that it wouldn't hurt to swap out on their dime on an eight year old vehicle before the warranty expires.
It would be interesting for the sake of this discussion to know what parts have been changed to attempt to remedy this situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I am new here. I purchased a 2011 MDX in December of 2014. It is an Advanced Model. For the last year and half we have been having dead battery issues. It has been to the dealer 5-6 times (I've actually lost count) and they say they can't find anything wrong. In the last 18 months the battery has been replaced 3 times, an HFL part has been replaced 3 times and the alternator has been replaced. This past fall winter it was dead 3-4 times from Oct-Feb. They even had it 3 weeks the last time and they still can't find anything wrong. It is always dead in the morning when I go to drive it and never any warning. My husband said he is about to drive it off a cliff he is so pissed.

The dealer has had it now since last Tuesday and I pick it up tomorrow. I've been reading some old threads and wondering if I should call before I pick it up and have them disconnect the HFL and check the A/C relay? My husband said the A/C relay was replaced.

Acura claims that there aren't any issues with the HFL and they don't know what to do but the car checks out find.

We are at a loss. Any advice?

Thanks!
Kellie
Did you ever find out what it was? My 2011 MDX drains the battery over night. When I turn off the car, there's a small noise coming from the radio, it sounds like a computer fan. It only goes away when I unplug the radio fuse.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Did you ever find out what it was? My 2011 MDX drains the battery over night. When I turn off the car, there's a small noise coming from the radio, it sounds like a computer fan. It only goes away when I unplug the radio fuse.
That is normal. The audio fan will continue to run for a few minutes even the key is out to cool down the audio system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
Would a new battery fix the problem?
Yeah. Get the interstate battery from Costco.
I had the same issue and interstate battery fixed my problem and my Bluetooth is happy. Haven’t had any dead battery or trouble starting since I installed interstate battery about a year ago.

JUST STAY AWAY FROM ACURA BATTERY!!
It’s garbage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.