Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R Stevens had this question:

MDXtrous,
I have an SS/Touring/Nav on order and am considering replacing the the entire sound system, with new Alpine tuner headunit , Alpine in-dash DVD player, external Precision Power amps, Boston Acoustics speakers and subwoofer and XM tuner.

My installer (Myer-Emco, a highly reputable company in the Washington, DC area) has a concern that maybe you can address. The OEM Nav system apparently runs its audio through the Bose headunit. The installer is concerned that replacing the headunit might adversely affect the Nav audio or other aspects of the Nav system; and that cutting into the Nav wiring might void the Acura Nav warranty. This applies also to running the DVD video into the Nav unit.

I haven't been able to find this issue addressed in other threads and would appreciate your insight.

Thanks and congrats on the great system you have.

R Stevens,
Someone had posted that once they swapped out the original headunit, the Navi voice dissappeared whenever he was in DVD mode. I'm not sure exactly what the solution is, but you may run in to that problem. My Navi voice is maitained, because I have chosen to keep the factory head unit. What do you look to gain from an aftermarket headunit? I read in a Mobile Entertainment article where someone asked about upgrading an Acura CL sound system, and the recommendation from the "expert" was to keep the existin head unit. But of course, I'm not 100% sure since I'm not a real audiophile. I was more interested in the video part.

As to the warranty, I am not sure about the answer. Some have suggested that putting DVD video on the Navi screen does void the warranty. Something you may want to think through. If you are worried about that, why don't you think about getting one of the motorized screens, if you are going to be replacing the headunit anyway?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The aftermarket headunit has a number of integrated features that will contribute to a better sound and video experience. It is XM Radio ready which means I won't need a separate control panel. There is a built in DVD/CD/MP3 player which provides a lot of audio/video versatility and is fully compatible with the aftermarket video monitor and navigation system. There are no internal amps, which provides a cleaner signal to the outboard amps. It has optical outputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS if I want to add that feature in the future.

I have a preference for high quality audio system in my house and this will be a natural extension into my dream car. And the final bonus - by changing my order to a non nav the arrival date will be June instead of July or August.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found some people that have it working...

R Stevens said:
The aftermarket headunit has a number of integrated features that will contribute to a better sound and video experience. It is XM Radio ready which means I won't need a separate control panel. There is a built in DVD/CD/MP3 player which provides a lot of audio/video versatility and is fully compatible with the aftermarket video monitor and navigation system. There are no internal amps, which provides a cleaner signal to the outboard amps. It has optical outputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS if I want to add that feature in the future.

I have a preference for high quality audio system in my house and this will be a natural extension into my dream car. And the final bonus - by changing my order to a non nav the arrival date will be June instead of July or August.
R Stevens,
Before you change your order because of the Navi voice, just wanted to let you know that the Navi in the MDX is rated as one of the best, even surpassing that of the Lexus. It's hard to beat an integrated factory Navi, and believe it's very good.

Anyway, the main reason I'm replying is because I found the following thread of a few people that still have the Navi voice with aftermarket head units. It's from the acura-tl forum:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40389

Hope this helps alleviate your concerns.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for finding that thread and what is a apparently a solution to the navi voice issue. Your other point about the Acura navi being top rated is well taken and one I will give a lot of weight in my decision. If I do go with the aftermarket nav it will definitely be the Alpine system, which appears to be almost identical in features and user interface to the OEM. There is also the warranty issue, particularly with feeding DVD video input into the OEM nav screen. My dealer checked with Acura who claimed that would definitely void the nav warranty.

Thanks again for doing the research. This forum certainly is good therapy while waiting for delivery!

·
Registered
35 Posts
R Stevens
You say that the head unit you are looking at is compatible with the navi screen and will feed video directly into it. What unit is this and are you sure you don't need an adapter for the navi to accept the output from this unit?
Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
The headunit I am considering is the Alpine DVA-7996, which will feed into the Alpine TME-M790 in-dash motorized monitor. If I go with this sytem I will not have the OEM nav unit. Hope this answers your question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts